Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Yah. The Kzoo uber driver PASSED their background check.

Lotta good that did.

I'd rather hail a union cab.

He also passed the NICS background check when he bought his pistol. Background checks can only show what you were caught for in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 02:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
In my local news...

https://www.arlnow.com/2016/02/22/th...eid=047fc2534a

Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
There is a big difference between Craigslist and the other places you listed. On Craigslist, you are meeting a stranger, usually in his or your home. Same with Uber, you are getting in a stranger's car. In a public building, you have other people around.
How is that different than a Taxi cab?

Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,289,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
How is that different than a Taxi cab?
"So while taxi companies check a prospective driver's fingerprint records against a database that theoretically includes a person's complete criminal history in the United States, Uber background checks use a database that can only go back seven years for some information. Late last year, San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon called Uber's background checks "completely worthless," according to the Los Angeles Times. And several Uber and UberX drivers in the Washington, D.C., area said Uber's background checks were hardly rigorous."

Old 02-22-2016, 04:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
"So while taxi companies check a prospective driver's fingerprint records against a database that theoretically includes a person's complete criminal history in the United States, Uber background checks use a database that can only go back seven years for some information. Late last year, San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon called Uber's background checks "completely worthless," according to the Los Angeles Times. And several Uber and UberX drivers in the Washington, D.C., area said Uber's background checks were hardly rigorous."
Have you ever stepped foot in a cab in NYC and thought "wow, I feel really safe"?

I actually feel safer in Uber because there is a record of the individual who is driving me. A regular cabbie can rob/rape you and kick you out and you just need to hope you remember the license plate. With Uber, it's all documented in the app and can be traced back to someone.

Same goes for drivers- cabbies are at more risk than Uber drivers since Uber knows who rode in whose cab.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:18 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
People in smaller cities can just as easily attack you or vomit in the back of your car.
True. But smaller cities usu. have lower crime rates, for some reason.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:31 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
I'm seriously exploring the possibility.

I need to figure tax implications first. My friend, who also teaches, earned $250 last week in a few hours of spare time. She enjoys it and has figured out the cost/benefit ratio for her.
It sounds like your friend, who also teaches, provided some extra services to her riders. You don't make $250 for a few hours just giving rides.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:11 PM

344 posts, read 551,154 times
People now make more money referring new drivers than they do driving. Uberpeople is a resource for what's really happening.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I looked into driving for Uber and found a forum for Uber drivers. I'll post it if I can find it again. There was a lot of complaining about rude passengers. That scared me away. Plus the requirement for a newer car wasn't going to happen either.

I found it:

http://uberpeople.net/

Old 02-22-2016, 09:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
I'm seriously exploring the possibility.

I need to figure tax implications first. My friend, who also teaches, earned $250 last week in a few hours of spare time. She enjoys it and has figured out the cost/benefit ratio for her.
Figure tax, then (Yes this is rare) the chance some idiot doesn't realize that you don't carry cash and when they do find out and get mad, if they DO have a gun, then you'll happy (Well, your family will) that you were smart to have a BIG insurance policy, but be sure it's not against policy rules to engage in risky behavior (Taxi driving comes to mind...)

Remember, the passenger could be drunk, sick (And barf) in your car...or assault you, or worse....

Yes, these have happened YES they are rare...but do YOU want to be the next "Reason to not drive for Uber story"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment