Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:31 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times

Advertisements

had one that Could not come in to work because his Mother died....3 times in one year

had another that Called, said he Could not come in to work because he was in Jail He said he shot a burglar in his sisters house , in the chest with a 44 magnum, and wrapped him up in a shower curtain so he would not bleed on the new carpet, then dragged him into the bathroom. He said they locked him up for moving the body. They let him go a day later.

Turns out it was a true story...go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Wow... I cannot believe the people you all have had to deal with. I did have one employee who ALWAYS happened to have Public Transit issues even though none of us other commuters did. Either that or he was "too sick" to come in after I called him for being a no call no show for a couple of hours.

He had some pretty normal sounding excuses but the guy was complete waste of space for the job. We even have THREE pictures of him sleeping at his desk with the monitors completely off because his computer went to sleep too. hahahaha.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:47 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
My son is a staffing coordinator for a care facility and he is on call when he is not in the office during his regular shift. So I hear some of the calls he gets when he is visiting me. One call really stood out. A CNA called him from the job during her shift and was calling off sick for the next day when she was supposed to work a double shift that she had requested to work to earn some extra money. My son pointed out to her that she sounded fine and asked if she realized that she was calling during her work shift and reminded her that it would be a write up in her file if she didn't show up the next day. She was adamant that she was going to be sick the next day, a Saturday. I'm sure she meant she was going to be hungover. :->

Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
When I worked the Garden Festival for a six month duration, one of the co workers was a lady who couldnt come to work two days in a row.. if she did she would disappear off the site for an hour at a time sometimes to the pub...She was always saved by her elaborate lies, her top one was her toilet ceiling falling in from the flat above , water everywhere and all her carpets ruined... we werent sure if this one was for real or not.... but after the festival closed I went to see her one day at her new job in a shop in town...... "hello is Mary around to go for lunch"......assistant...... "OH weve had terrible news fromMary this mornign her ceiling has fallen in and her house is flooded"... I walked out smiling, duped everyone this woman.... and at the end of the six months of the festival , anyone who had never had a day off work was awarded a medal ... Mary was furious and went to the head supervisor to complain and not getting one.... she had actually done three months appearrance out of the six... One day when she went missing from the site , her excuse was that she was helping someone who had fallen from the model train that went round the site.... so she was being applauded by staff until later that day when the daily newspaper came out , and there was Mary in the centre of a ring of Caribbean dancers giving it laldy... boogying down..hahaha .. you have to laugh at some people...

Old 02-24-2016, 03:32 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've gone years without calling off at work (stupid of me actually!), and I told the scheduler, if I ever do call off, then you'll know I had some kind of terrible accident.

So I decided to inject some humor into it one time:

"Sorry, I can't come to work today. I exerted too much time and exertion trying to have an orgasm last night, my right arm has gone numb, and I'm in dire need of an orthopedist!"

Now, seriously......................................... ........................

Old 02-24-2016, 05:34 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
One girl that I worked with came in late because she had to get her groceries home and she didn't want her ice cream to melt.

We had a guy call off numerous times due to deaths in his family. He got caught cutting out random obituaries out of the newspaper and passing them off as his relatives.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Wow... I cannot believe the people you all have had to deal with. I did have one employee who ALWAYS happened to have Public Transit issues even though none of us other commuters did.
I had a similar employee. He was frequently late, and blamed it on having to use one of the most unreliable train lines in the city.

When I asked him where he lived, I found out that it was only a few blocks from me, and I was never late because of the train. To his credit, his attendance I proved dramatically starting the very next day.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
This person wrote a fake letter excusing her absences due to jury duty. However, the boss got suspicious when it was flooded with errors in spelling, punctuation, etc. He reported it and she was taken to court---I forget for what exactly. It was in the paper because she was a public employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
As an aside....I did interview for a job at a company who said that they always gave you your birthday off (or the immediate Friday before or Monday after if your birthday fell on a weekend.) I'd never heard of such a thing, but I thought that was kind of a neat idea.

Though I did wonder what if your birthday already fell on a day that they company would be closed? (Like July 4th, for example?)
One of my jobs had your birthday as a day off. If it fell on a holiday, you still got the day to use but I forget if it was the day before/after or just a general day you could use anytime.

I take off on my birthday usually but that's what most people do at my job. We don't have "set" schedules and I actually just roll mine into a vacation week that I take with my husband that starts on our anniversary. But no, it's not a day I have to have off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not that funny or interesting, but my coworker was late to work yesterday because he was looking at March schedule instead of February schedule and didn't realize he had to work.
I've had a co-worker of mine not wake up (night shift) and once he showed up even though he wasn't on the schedule. They're trying to be more consistent with our schedules now.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
"I don't think I should have to work because it's my birthday."

Seriously, how old are you, dude?

I always take the day off for my birthday. I'm 49.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 AM

24 posts, read 15,485 times
I once called my work to tell them I was going to be late because of a flat tire. I didn't have a flat tire I just woke up late and didn't want to rush.

Next day, I get a flat tire for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment