Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,897,517 times

Advertisements

If you've ever decided against giving any kind of notice and flat out quit on the spot, did this hurt your chances in any way when interviewing/applying at prospective employers?

Although I always believe in giving notice, I understand that not everything goes as planned. Some places are not a good fit, toxic culture, etc. For those who have been unlucky and had to "do what you gotta do," did quitting on the spot affect your future employment (or your professional image) at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 02:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,272 times
I'd be very surprised if you find a lot of people who say that it has affected them, but that has more to do with the fact that when something like that affects you, you rarely know it.

My boss's boss(let's call him Mr. B) worked at a different company a few years back and had someone quit on the spot. Literally went to lunch and never returned(they only found out she quit a while after). The person wound up applying for a job at the company I work for now but in a different department. That person would have had no way of knowing that Mr. B worked here since they weren't connected on linked in and the job wasn't in our department, but the hiring manager saw that the applicant worked at the same company as Mr. B so asked for his opinion.

That applicant didn't get the job, but probably doesn't know it was related to the actions a few years ago. That's the risk of doing this, you never really know where it's going to hit you and it's very hard to undo afterwards.

I would think long and hard before doing that. It would probably have to be due to something that was almost law suit worthy (e.g. harassment). Doing it just to spite someone or a company doesn't seem worth it to me.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I'd be very surprised if you find a lot of people who say that it has affected them, but that has more to do with the fact that when something like that affects you, you rarely know it.
Yeah, I've had people do that at my jobs (simply stop showing up) and I always wonder where they end up after that. They just disappear off the face of the earth but I always wonder how it relates to their prospective employers, or if it matters at all to them.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
As an employer, reigning with little or no notice is the same as being laid off or terminated with little or no notice. At Will applies to both sides and any employer who can't wrap their brains around the concept are hypocrites. With that said, like in all relationships, the ending can leave a bitter or sweet taste behind. If you can give notice, give it. But, if you can't, you can't.

Now, resigning with little or no notice is not the same as job abandonment. If you just abandon your job, and we find out prior to hiring, you can kiss the offer goodbye.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:33 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
It really depends on the job and the industry. In my little high tech universe, I always try to do back-door reference checks on people. I look at the companies on their resume and I usually know someone from a previous life who works there.

"He quit with no notice in the middle of a project and totally F'ed me" would be the kiss of death.

If you call someone they give you as a reference, you're not going to get that kind of candid stuff. There's way too much liability. Everybody walks on water.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
I have quit without notice 3 times. The last two times were late in my working days and I just retired after that. The first time I just went back to my former employer and was welcomed back with open arms, literally.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Did it once, but was with a temp agency...No big deal getting with another.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 PM

12 posts, read 25,302 times
I did it twice over my 16+ year career,first time was right after I graduated College, I walked out of a job after 6 months, pay was horrible, company in general was poorly managed and the work was not in line with my career goals. I did not even send a notice and never heard anything from the company.

The second time, I actually relocated 600 miles for a new job, company paid relocation expenses and 3 months of temporary housing, looked like my dream job, but it turned into a major nightmare and I was working long hours, travelling all the time all over the place, was salary and the pay was very low, I hung on with hopes of it improving, all of it came to a head an one day I just walked out, went home and printed out a resignation letter and sent it in the next day. I was getting calls from my Boss and co-worker wondering where I was, but they were the same ones who were part of the recipe for disaster, so I never answered or called them back, very long story. I also sent in my expenses I had from a recent trip to Germany after resigning, they paid everything 100% and I never heard from them again.

While working there, several others who relocated quit as well, and I kept in touch with a few, out of the group of 10 people or so I worked with, all quit within a year or several years after I did. Needless to say the company relocated a lot of people from all over and probably lost a ton of money in the process.

Both instances above were non-contract or had any payback clause if I left prior to a set time. Also both were in Right To Work States. If I had to do it over again, I would have done it differently for the 2nd time, it did ding my job history for a few years, but I ended up moving to another state and slowly had to rebuild my history of employment.

I also had the ability to quit both times due to having substantial savings, but since these times it has not been the same nor would I do it again or could I.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As an employer, reigning with little or no notice is the same as being laid off or terminated with little or no notice. At Will applies to both sides and any employer who can't wrap their brains around the concept are hypocrites. With that said, like in all relationships, the ending can leave a bitter or sweet taste behind. If you can give notice, give it. But, if you can't, you can't.
I definitely agree with the bold part. It appears there are certain folk in personnel and management who believe it's rude, disrespectful, and unprofessional for an employee to exercise their "at will" option without providing, at the very minimum, a 2 weeks notice.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:30 AM

48 posts, read 90,888 times
I gave a 48 hour notice simply because I was leaving for a reason. I don't mind burning bridges that go backwards. I quit when I already had the offer and had accepted it. The company's opinion no longer mattered to me. I was treated like crap, so they got it right back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment