Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 AM

6,430 posts, read 7,718,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While we would not pay you for a sick day while on 6 month probation, 2-3 days in 6 months would not be an issue for me in passing if there were no problems with your work, tardiness, or other factors. People get sick, and I prefer to have someone stay home, especially if contagious, so I don't end up with 3-4 people sick.
+1. Any reasonable person or organization would have this same outlook.

Being sick is no reason to fire someone. Sounds crazy to even write that.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaellys View Post
I have been employed at very large facility since December and called out due to me violently vomiting and having diarrhea. It came on like a ton of bricks. I called out 12 hours prior to shift, our policy is that if we are vomiting or have diarrhea that we can't come to work until 48 hours after symptoms resolved. It was only one day but I feel guilty since I'm so new.

Is it likely that I will be fired for this or will have a poor review related to this? I usually don't call in sick often. This bug is going around big time right now and others have called in as well for the same reason.
Seriously??!!

You feel guilty because you got very sick and did the responsible and considerate thing by staying home?

If this is the worst problem in your life right now, then you may live a relatively charmed life.

What's the term I'm looking for........... oh, yes.......... first world problems.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
Quote:
I have been employed at very large facility since December and called out due to me violently vomiting and having diarrhea. It came on like a ton of bricks. I called out 12 hours prior to shift, our policy is that if we are vomiting or have diarrhea that we can't come to work until 48 hours after symptoms resolved. It was only one day but I feel guilty since I'm so new.

Is it likely that I will be fired for this or will have a poor review related to this? I usually don't call in sick often. This bug is going around big time right now and others have called in as well for the same reason.
I hope it goes well for you. One of my personal rules are to never call in sick within the first 90 days. I am pleased to see that someone has the same protocol.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,125,978 times
Quote:

You adhered to this policy, so why would you be fired?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM

11,750 posts, read 14,559,260 times
There are really two questions here: whether the OP should feel guilty and whether there will be any negative job consequences.

Question 1: No. calling in sick when you are sick and, according to the employer's policy, ineligible to be at work is no reason to feel guilty.

Question 2. Probably not. If you don't make a habit of it you're probably okay. If a single absence were going to be a problem you would probably already know.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
I was applying for a job recently and stopped when I read the line: No time off during first 90 days, ZERO exceptions.

The way they worded it made it sound like you should come in sick. Employers are dumb when they can't realize losing one employee for 2-3 days is better than losing the whole office for a 2-3 days at a time.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:38 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,036,523 times
You should be fine, unless your manager is unhinged ... it which case, this might be for the best for you in the long run. But since it is right in their policy to stay away, good for them and you should be fine.

You did the right thing.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Your job actually a policy specifically for what your condition is?

Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,023,735 times
It's tough to know for sure. if you have otherwise been a stellar performer, you will probably be fine. Conversely, if you have been under performing, or even just meeting expectations, this absence will hurt.

As a 25+ year manager I have an unwritten rule of thumb that says if you miss a day in your first 90, you likely won't work out. It has seldom proven untrue. But on occasion it has because there are cases of extreme illness, accidents or hospitalization that occur, but they are rare.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,041,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
As a 25+ year manager I have an unwritten rule of thumb that says if you miss a day in your first 90, you likely won't work out. It has seldom proven untrue. But on occasion it has because there are cases of extreme illness, accidents or hospitalization that occur, but they are rare.
And was the calling in sick the only indicator? I'd think there would be plenty of other indicators that were just as or more reliable. I have a hard time believing that a stellar performer who misses a few days sick is less likely to work out than an apathetic worker who shows up every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment