Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:30 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmmert View Post
Easiest way to get a job in a location is to BE in that location. Throwing resumes at Monster or LinkedIn will take forever. Get where you want to be and start networking. I still regret not going to college in Hawaii
Agree.

Get on CL and find a room to rent for several months so you have an address at an affordable price.

Get business cards made up with your photo on the front and contact information. Bulleted, brief resume on the back. Pass it out at every opportunity.

Join Toastmasters and get involved in any other networking group you can find.

Apply for every job you see or hear about that is a decent fit. Don't be afraid to turn down a job if it isn't the one.
Check out the temp agencies. See if you can get short gigs to tide you over.

Spend 40-50 hours finding your next job.

If you are still unemployed in 2 months, you are not trying hard enough.

If you've want to live in Chicago, this is the time.

Go for it.

Goal = Dream with a Deadline

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:33 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
I think short periods at software and other IT jobs are pretty common, mostly because the workforce is very young.
To reference a dead technology, I once took a job at a small newspaper in a desirable city. The job and company were awful, the pay lower than low, but when they hired, they wanted somebody who was THERE. As did most companies, as I found when I went out looking for another job.

So I agree - go to where you want to wind up. Even if you have a job you don't like so much, you will be THERE and building up connections and friendships, which may well lead to a much better job.

ESPECIALLY if you are young. While I always knew I wanted to come back to my hometown to grow old, a part of me now regrets moving away from the much cooler city.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
1. Take a new position in a less than desirable city. Work 12-18 months. Apply for jobs in ideal city. Make move after landing one.

This.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
#2 if you can afford it.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Agreed that if you want to go somewhere, and it's reasonable to get a job there, just go if you have the money.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 PM

89 posts, read 113,425 times
I have quit without a job lined up due to stress, too. It's not that bad and I felt great afterwards, so I don't blame you.

Since you're a software engineer, I'd really say go ahead and move to Chicago because you're likely to get something there. I'm saying that without knowing what languages you know/what exactly you do, but I still feel pretty confident that you'd get something. If it were most other fields, I wouldn't advise this--I actually moved to Chicago myself once without a job and it didn't work at all (I got a job in about a month, but it didn't work out and the job salary didn't match the cost of living in Chicago enough for my expenses anyways), but I was not working in technology back then. Also, in Chicago, you're in a tri-state area and have suburbs/other smaller cities an hour away, so you would not be limited to just Chicago for jobs if push comes to shove--they're just probably going to pay less.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:59 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello all,

To make a long story short....

I recently quit my job as a software engineer without another lined up.

The stress of the position was negatively affecting me in every way possible.

Started applying for new gigs all over the US.

Have gotten some calls back recently and trying to figure out what the best move would be.

So far I have:

1. Take a new position in a less than desirable city. Work 12-18 months. Apply for jobs in ideal city. Make move after landing one.

OR

2. Make the move to my ideal city (Chicago) and grab a part-time gig until I can land a full-time one.

I don't want to make the mistake of taking on another job just to get a regular pay check.

My last two jobs were absolute disappointments. Add to that the fact that the cities I lived in were very boring and bland.

Really want my next move to last and hoping to find a gig that I can stay on for at least 2 or 3 years.

Any direction you all could offer would be great.
Sounds like another case of unrealistic life expectations. Must be a millennial.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,735 times
Option 2. Option 1 would be a complete waste of time given you already know you want to be in Chicago. Besides, you've spent more than enough time in cities that weren't a fit. Don't continue to spin your wheels in that direction.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
If you want to be in Chicago, then be in Chicago. Start establishing a network. It's a whole lot easier to interview when you can say "sure, I can be there tomorrow afternoon!" You have skills that are in demand. I look forward to reading your update with your success story in a few months.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Go to Chicago. It's always easier to find a job where you live. And it's way easier (morally) to survive difficult time in a place where you feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment