Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:08 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Which is what exactly? The hoops employers require in order a candidate to jump through in order to get a decent job now are astounding. First there is finding that the job opening exists, and that in itself can be a task. A lot of companies only hire internally. Then if the candidate finds the opening, the employer only wants a resume sent over; they don't care about meeting a human being. So if the person's resume isn't picture perfect with no gaps, not enough education, or, (gasp!) no experience doing that exact job, in the shredder it goes. It doesn't matter if the person may be an excellent employee, even though the resume might not reflect that; the employer would never know because they don't bother meeting them. Then the candidate hears back if they get an interview, or more likely, they don't get an interview, so it's on to the next business, on and on ad infinitum.

Then even if they get an interview, if they don't answer a bunch of sometimes bizarre questions exactly correctly, they fail, and usually never hear back from them again, so they're left hanging about the job prospect. Even if they pass that one, they may have to attend several more interviews, and may fail at any one of those. And they might have to travel for an interview, which people looking for a job can ill afford. Assuming they have passed all the interviews, there are the background checks, drug tests, and possibly credit checks. That credit check often eliminates good candidates because low paying jobs often saddle people with a lot of unpaid bills, and candidates with bad credit MUST be thieves So let's say the candidate actually passed all this. What, they want to get paid??? But the employer has left the question of pay a mystery, and the candidate needs $XX,000 to survive. But the employer will only pay 2/3 of that. So then the employee is caught between a rock and a hard place: whether to accept too low pay in a still employer's market or go through the whole job hunting ordeal again. No wonder people get depressed at the thought of finding a new job.
Well said. That's exactly what's happening right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Human Resources was the worst thing to happen to the jobs market. It used to be that you could contact the hiring manager directly, sell yourself, give references, the manager would call your references, THEY assigned your pay based on THEIR own budget, if you both agreed you could start a day later. Now companies take MONTHS to fill positions because the process is completely bureaucratic and full of errors.

Position opens up, manager submits request to their higher ups, they approve, manager submits request to HR, sits in their queue for days to weeks, they do "research," they post position using their new whatever the current trendy software or experiment is, software matches job description to keywords in resumes, dozens to thousands of great applications are filtered out due to lack of keywords, HR gets a stack of approved resumes and filters through them, HR contacts applicants and filters out people asking too much pay even though they have unique skillsets that are invaluable to the company, forward resumes to hiring manager, interviews, back to HR to sit on their desk for a few weeks, top applicants accept role somewhere else because of time that has elapsed, start process all over again or take one of the remaining applicants that werent that stellar.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:09 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Human Resources was the worst thing to happen to the jobs market. It used to be that you could contact the hiring manager directly, sell yourself, give references, the manager would call your references, THEY assigned your pay based on THEIR own budget, if you both agreed you could start a day later. Now companies take MONTHS to fill positions because the process is completely bureaucratic and full of errors.

Position opens up, manager submits request to their higher ups, they approve, manager submits request to HR, sits in their queue for days to weeks, they do "research," they post position using their new whatever the current trendy software or experiment is, software matches job description to keywords in resumes, dozens to thousands of great applications are filtered out due to lack of keywords, HR gets a stack of approved resumes and filters through them, HR contacts applicants and filters out people asking too much pay even though they have unique skillsets that are invaluable to the company, forward resumes to hiring manager, interviews, back to HR to sit on their desk for a few weeks, top applicants accept role somewhere else because of time that has elapsed, start process all over again or take one of the remaining applicants that werent that stellar.
Large organizations are notorious for this. I went from a larger employer (though no blue chip company by any means) to a smaller one, and things just move much faster at the smaller company. Granted, the larger employer had more bureaucracy and in-fighting, but it's still a big difference. We'd often be so slow that by the time an offer was made (not even counting the time to open a req.), the candidate had since moved on and received another offer.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:14 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Does "Picture Perfect" include no mistakes or grammar errors? I have seen resumes from people with bachelors in English who still have problems with there, they're and their....

If the employer is asking the candidate tto have experience, then most likely they want to minimize wasted time, so no experience, no job. Of course if the applicant doesn't pay attention to that fact then the employer has every right to chuck it.

That's why having a savings is needed....

Then they should have asked at the first interview. If the employer won't say, then don't bother as they're most likely stringing them along.
And this is why things are the way they are today.

By the way, there's a typo in your paragraph.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

I have been a supervisor or manager since the early 1980s and except for the years that I ran a small business, have always had to go through HR for hiring. I have also always done the "filtering out" decisions as the hiring manager. HR reviews the resumes at the same time I do and may suggest pulling some but it's up to me. Of the 5 hires I have made in the last 4 years, all but one were notified of their selection within 3 days of the last interview, that one did have to start over due to none of the 10 interviewees meeting my needs but the hire was made just 3 weeks later.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have been a supervisor or manager since the early 1980s and except for the years that I ran a small business, have always had to go through HR for hiring. I have also always done the "filtering out" decisions as the hiring manager. HR reviews the resumes at the same time I do and may suggest pulling some but it's up to me. Of the 5 hires I have made in the last 4 years, all but one were notified of their selection within 3 days of the last interview, that one did have to start over due to none of the 10 interviewees meeting my needs but the hire was made just 3 weeks later.
That is EXTREMELY rare. Candidates are always venting on these boards and I have experienced it myself that you can wait weeks after an interview simply to receive a generic "Thanks but no thanks" email or an offer.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:03 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Same here. Company wide, we have hundreds of job openings. In my group, we've been a person short for over a year, and now we're two people short. We're trying to fill positions paying ~$130k and we can't even get decent candidates to apply. And we are a very well known company. Must be even harder for no-name companies.
Maybe they are all too busy wasting time trying to "network" to find a job.

I see nothing wrong with doing a traditional (which today means online) search, finding listings that match your skills and applying/sending in a resume. Maybe it's different in some fields, but in mine (IT) that still works the best.

I have the exact same issue as this poster. Although I don't have an opening currently, it takes me months to fill 6-figure paying openings at a very well-known company, not because I have hundreds of resumes to go through, but because we just don't get very many.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Which is what exactly? The hoops employers require in order a candidate to jump through in order to get a decent job now are astounding. First there is finding that the job opening exists, and that in itself can be a task. A lot of companies only hire internally. Then if the candidate finds the opening, the employer only wants a resume sent over; they don't care about meeting a human being. So if the person's resume isn't picture perfect with no gaps, not enough education, or, (gasp!) no experience doing that exact job, in the shredder it goes. It doesn't matter if the person may be an excellent employee, even though the resume might not reflect that; the employer would never know because they don't bother meeting them. Then the candidate hears back if they get an interview, or more likely, they don't get an interview, so it's on to the next business, on and on ad infinitum.

Then even if they get an interview, if they don't answer a bunch of sometimes bizarre questions exactly correctly, they fail, and usually never hear back from them again, so they're left hanging about the job prospect. Even if they pass that one, they may have to attend several more interviews, and may fail at any one of those. And they might have to travel for an interview, which people looking for a job can ill afford. Assuming they have passed all the interviews, there are the background checks, drug tests, and possibly credit checks. That credit check often eliminates good candidates because low paying jobs often saddle people with a lot of unpaid bills, and candidates with bad credit MUST be thieves So let's say the candidate actually passed all this. What, they want to get paid??? But the employer has left the question of pay a mystery, and the candidate needs $XX,000 to survive. But the employer will only pay 2/3 of that. So then the employee is caught between a rock and a hard place: whether to accept too low pay in a still employer's market or go through the whole job hunting ordeal again. No wonder people get depressed at the thought of finding a new job.
Hmmmm.

It's a wonder anyone has a job.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Same here. Company wide, we have hundreds of job openings. In my group, we've been a person short for over a year, and now we're two people short. We're trying to fill positions paying ~$130k and we can't even get decent candidates to apply. And we are a very well known company. Must be even harder for no-name companies.
If you can't fill a position for over a year the company is not willing to do what it takes to hire for that position in today's market or they just don't want to hire.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
When I think about what it takes to get a job today compared to 15-20 years ago I can't help but think how much we have gone backwards.
\

Bingo, its called CHANGE!

Just twenty years ago companies were willing to train for positions.
Today they expect experience and then some, which isn't fair to people coming out of college.
This is what happens when companies outsource jobs and insource foreign labor like they have been doing bigtime the last several years.
Those H1Bs hurt american workers. they never help!
Gates, Zuckerberg and Cook hurt American workers bigtime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment