Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

If the job says I'm required to be there from 9 to 5, then I'll get there at 8:30 - 9 (since traffic can be unpredictable) and leave at 5 sharp. Only exception is if there's a critical deadline coming up, then I'll gladly work the extra hours.

Since I have other projects (including a side business I'm working to launch), I value the limited time I have in my day. I force myself to accomplish as much as possible when I'm at work and and I'm outta there once I'm no longer required to be there physically. If I'm not performing as well as I'd like (or they'd like), I'll work on increasing efficiency rather than giving them more time for free.

Anything wrong with this work ethic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Nope.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
You don't owe anyone anything. Most people where I work put in much less time because they aren't really working half the time. The days when companies cared about employees is over. We're numbers now. I gladly do what's required and expected but even when I exceed I'm capped at a 3% annual raise so no incentives to do more

Old 03-01-2016, 08:04 PM

426 posts, read 370,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If the job says I'm required to be there from 9 to 5, then I'll get there at 8:30 - 9 (since traffic can be unpredictable) and leave at 5 sharp. Only exception is if there's a critical deadline coming up, then I'll gladly work the extra hours.

Since I have other projects (including a side business I'm working to launch), I value the limited time I have in my day. I force myself to accomplish as much as possible when I'm at work and and I'm outta there once I'm no longer required to be there physically. If I'm not performing as well as I'd like (or they'd like), I'll work on increasing efficiency rather than giving them more time for free.

Sometimes I feel I do less than the bare minimum

Old 03-02-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The bare minimum time at work is what 90% of us do, there is nothing wrong with arriving and leaving on time. What is more important is actually working during the 8 hours you are there. Here, doing the bare minimum means little or no pay increases, they are performance based and the annual review determines the raise. Working more than 8 hours would actually be a negative, unless it's overtime that is authorized ahead of time for a special project or urgent deadline. People are expected to get their work done in their regular 8 hours.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Assuming you get the work done within those 8 hours, then no , I don't see anything wrong with that work ethic.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Companies pay the bear minimum so employees do the bare minimum.

Or put another way they pay you barely enough that you won't quit and you do barely enough that they don't fire you.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:27 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Companies pay the bear minimum so employees do the bare minimum.

Or put another way they pay you barely enough that you won't quit and you do barely enough that they don't fire you.
Yup...

There's a naive employee (but I consider him a friend) that keeps putting above and beyond the call of the job. Each and every time, he is rants about how disappointed he is when he isn't recognized for it. He will even take responsibility for things without having the authority to follow through.... sometimes having to put in weekends to bail himself out.

I'm not so sure how many times he is going to make the same mistake before he learns. The thing is.. his heart is in the job but the job is simply heartless. We really should be fostering this attitude rather than repress it... but that's just the way it is.

You should do just enough to be paid and not get fired. However, the quality of your deliverables should reflect what you are capable of.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

No, that's what the employer would expect....Where I am working now, my trainer takes half the job, I do the other half, I watch her for how she does it and her methods. I find by copying her methods, I am working just as fast, but the waste of time is cut...

Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Sometimes it only takes a few extra minutes a day to remove the stigma of someone who does only the bare minimum. If your long term goal is to stay at your current level with small promotions throughout your career, you're fine doing the bare minimum so long as you do good work.

But if you want to make it to the top, stay a few extra minutes here and there or take on a project that is outside of your wheelhouse occasionally. Since most people just do the minimum, doing anything more than that is typically noticeable.

I've moved up quite quickly through the ranks and I wouldn't say that I work any harder or longer than the next guy, but I have the type of attitude where I view nothing as "outside of my job description" and always accept new work with a smile since I typically just push it down to a direct report after that anyway. Your goal should be to make your boss's life easier, which can often be done without making your job any harder. It's all in the attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment