U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM

136 posts, read 84,075 times

Advertisements

I dunno, I have nothing better to do than work (other than drawing & a couple other hobbies), so I prefer to work long hours. That aside, I get motivation from assuming it's still a jungle out there, and if you aren't looking out for your survival, things can go awry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 PM

35 posts, read 25,996 times
Thanks everyone. I am a naturally very energetic person. I'm young, exercise and have the energy, but just can't find what to put my energy towards. It seems that 99% of my energy has to go towards my work then just a lack of motivation for anything else afterwards.

I'm very grateful for my job and career climb, but my main concern is just my well being and interest in my life outside of work. I'm sure many have gone through this same scenario. I have to take trips out of the city to mountainous areas and go hiking just to escape. But obviously I can't always do this or find the time to do this on weekends because of family and responsibilities. I do live on my own with a roommate in the bay area so of course its pretty expensive living even with a frugal lifestyle. Hiking is free!

Anyways. I appreciate everyone's response and will be taking in all the information I can. Just looking to see what everyone's thoughts are, no judgement made. Everyone is different. Hopefully I can figure something out to keep my spirits up after work.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:39 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I found an income that i didn't need to work that many hours...

either in a different state or just higher paying
Yeah. I am still looking. So in the Bay Area that number might be more like $200k for a single person. There aren't that many jobs that pay that much out there.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 PM

536 posts, read 373,769 times
I honestly don't know how some people do it. When I was younger I worked some jobs where I was putting in 60-70 hours a week. I started to develop depression and lost motivation to do anything. After a little over a year I was just completely burned out. It wasn't a job that I loved, though. I then started working at a job I did love, and I managed to put in long hours for a couple of years before getting burned out again. Now I probably average 35 hours a week. I just couldn't consistently put in that many hours and still be happy with my life.

I'm someone who needs 8 hours minimum to function optimally, so maybe you crazy people who can get by on 4 hours a night would fare better working long hours.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 AM

687 posts, read 464,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalez11 View Post
Thanks everyone. I am a naturally very energetic person. I'm young, exercise and have the energy, but just can't find what to put my energy towards. It seems that 99% of my energy has to go towards my work then just a lack of motivation for anything else afterwards.

I'm very grateful for my job and career climb, but my main concern is just my well being and interest in my life outside of work. I'm sure many have gone through this same scenario. I have to take trips out of the city to mountainous areas and go hiking just to escape. But obviously I can't always do this or find the time to do this on weekends because of family and responsibilities. I do live on my own with a roommate in the bay area so of course its pretty expensive living even with a frugal lifestyle. Hiking is free!

Anyways. I appreciate everyone's response and will be taking in all the information I can. Just looking to see what everyone's thoughts are, no judgement made. Everyone is different. Hopefully I can figure something out to keep my spirits up after work.
I feel the same. Thank you for saying it because I'm always wondering how other people manage, too. I don't get paid very much, but I'm being paid the most I ever have at my current job (<40,000/yr).

I don't have any advice since I'm stuck in the same bind.

No one so far is giving much advice except to work less. That is the hard one. I don't know about you, but I feel like I'm failing if I work less. I'm scared of not having enough money or being seen as a poor employee. In my job, there is opportunity to really invest in the company in a meaningful way but I don't know how to do that without losing in other areas of my life. I enjoy my job, but the pressure scares me and exhausts me to where I'm often useless in the evening and on the weekends. What time I do have I try to spend with people I care about or just keep up with chores, but I'm losing friends overall and feel terrible that I don't have the emotional reserves to keep in touch with people (introversion doesn't help).

Work less is probably the right solution, just not an available option. I don't know how to get past the emotional/mental barrier of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
I honestly don't know how some people do it. When I was younger I worked some jobs where I was putting in 60-70 hours a week. I started to develop depression and lost motivation to do anything. After a little over a year I was just completely burned out. It wasn't a job that I loved, though. I then started working at a job I did love, and I managed to put in long hours for a couple of years before getting burned out again. Now I probably average 35 hours a week. I just couldn't consistently put in that many hours and still be happy with my life.

I'm someone who needs 8 hours minimum to function optimally, so maybe you crazy people who can get by on 4 hours a night would fare better working long hours.
How does that work financially and for job security, if you don't mind my asking.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:37 AM

666 posts, read 475,922 times
Looks like your burned out. There is not much you can do to fix that other than find a job with better hours. I have mostly been working 12 hour days for the last 4 years or so since the auto industry is booming again. I tend to go to bed around 12am and get up at 5am. That is how I make time to enjoy my life after getting home at 7pm everyday.

Having saturday off would be nice to but in my case usually doesn't happen. I have worked a job that was 7 days a week and after a while you really fall into a depression no matter how good the money is. You really just have to force your self to get off the couch when you get home and start doing stuff. I make it a point to go bowling at least once a week now just to have some fun. Make some time to have fun during the weekend helps to.

I know when I was working 7 days a week I didn't want to do anything and when I got laid off I didn't do anything for about a month while I was on unemployment. It took that long just to get out of that burnt out feeling. It really is just like being depressed when your burnt out.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:28 AM

5,159 posts, read 2,612,240 times
The first thing I do when I get home is wash my car then do some yard work. I often get home at around 6 or 7. After a long day at work, I find it therapeutic to just mindlessly do something lite.

The worst thing you could do after a long work day is sit on your ass doing nothing. It becomes a bad habit.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:47 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,859,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalez11 View Post
Hello everyone,

For those of you whom work long hours or multiple jobs, how do you find any motivation with so little free time after work? I have a lot of respect for hard workers with kids whom work long hours as well so maybe you found the secret.

I'm a 25 yr old male with a wonderful girlfriend, with a steady full time career in Finance working for a major corporation in the Bay Area, CA. The pay is great and only getting better as I gain experience. Although, I work consistently long hours with very little free time after work or even during work. Breaks and sometimes lunch time are non-existent with my work load.

For those whom work in major cities or the Bay Area you know how traffic is, so it is very discouraging and time consuming on major freeways. My regular work schedule is 8 am - 6:30-7 pm. Sometimes not getting home until after 7:30 depending on traffic. Leaving me with barely around 3 hours of free time before I have to go back to bed to do is all over again. A lot of times I have to finish my work at home after I leave the office until late at night.

The lack of free time has really put me in a questionable mental state, and I have lost interest is so many things I used to love because I just don't have the time to invest into anything I used to love to do. I know most may just respond, "Welcome to being an adult," but there has to be some type of way to combat having such little motivation after a mentally exhausting day. I love my job and what I do, but I hate feeling burnt out after every work day and feeling like I have to catch up on sleep during the weekends. I try to exercise as much as I can with so little time I have just to keep my endorphins up.

Has anyone found a routine to uplift your spirits and energy? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

TLDR; Work long hours, mentally exhausted, no free time, looking for ways to uplift my mind and gain motivation.
8AM-7PM is a long day?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 AM

77 posts, read 55,854 times
Working long hours how do you find motivation after work?

short answer:

Hookers & blow

Old 03-04-2016, 01:14 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
I can't function with less than 8 hours sleep each night, so I come home from work, eat dinner, do basic chores, then read or watch tv for maybe hour before turning out the lights. No real time for hobbies or family.

In America, that's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment