U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM

35 posts, read 25,945 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

For those of you whom work long hours or multiple jobs, how do you find any motivation with so little free time after work? I have a lot of respect for hard workers with kids whom work long hours as well so maybe you found the secret.

I'm a 25 yr old male with a wonderful girlfriend, with a steady full time career in Finance working for a major corporation in the Bay Area, CA. The pay is great and only getting better as I gain experience. Although, I work consistently long hours with very little free time after work or even during work. Breaks and sometimes lunch time are non-existent with my work load.

For those whom work in major cities or the Bay Area you know how traffic is, so it is very discouraging and time consuming on major freeways. My regular work schedule is 8 am - 6:30-7 pm. Sometimes not getting home until after 7:30 depending on traffic. Leaving me with barely around 3 hours of free time before I have to go back to bed to do is all over again. A lot of times I have to finish my work at home after I leave the office until late at night.

The lack of free time has really put me in a questionable mental state, and I have lost interest is so many things I used to love because I just don't have the time to invest into anything I used to love to do. I know most may just respond, "Welcome to being an adult," but there has to be some type of way to combat having such little motivation after a mentally exhausting day. I love my job and what I do, but I hate feeling burnt out after every work day and feeling like I have to catch up on sleep during the weekends. I try to exercise as much as I can with so little time I have just to keep my endorphins up.

Has anyone found a routine to uplift your spirits and energy? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

TLDR; Work long hours, mentally exhausted, no free time, looking for ways to uplift my mind and gain motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,660,252 times
Mostly I got a different job.

Other coping tricks: since traffic sucks I found stuff I wanted to do after work - near work. By the time that had finished traffic did down. Going to the gym, taking classes stuff like that.

But eventually I found I needed my time to do my stuff to be happy. And only take jobs that are mostly bound to the windows of 8-ish to 6-ish. I prefer to leave at 5:30. And make sure I do that most of the time. I also made sure my commute is low stress (I.e. Transit, walking, biking and any combo of such).

Old 03-02-2016, 11:01 PM

35 posts, read 25,945 times
Ya I understand. My girlfriend and I are even considering moving out of state just for quality of life. Living and working in the Bay Area is just a huge rat race and time sink. Now a days making 6 figures doesn't even mean anything. So all that time spent working and sacrifice doesn't go very far living and working in the Bay. Maybe I just need a new location and setting. A new chapter somewhere fresh. Not working normal 11-12 hour work days at such a young age.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:12 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,657,640 times
I found an income that i didn't need to work that many hours...

either in a different state or just higher paying

Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 AM

174 posts, read 169,778 times
I know how you feel. I used to work out a lot and be very active and since I've been working an office job for the last 3 years in finance as well I've just lost so much motivation. I'm really good at a lot of things that I haven't done in years...

Hoping someone else will have a good answer for you

The only good thing I started was waking up an extra 30 minutes early to work out before work, once you get going it's not so bad and it really makes you more awake when you get into the office.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 AM

694 posts, read 950,547 times
Two ways to look at it-you are 25 and not saddled with kids so now is the time to get all this experience that you can leverage off later in a job that won't require such long hours. Or, if you are unwilling to put in time now, plenty of industries/areas that don't require finance folks to work more than 9 hours a day. The question you have to ask yourself is whether you truly enjoy what you are doing. I am in my early 40's with 3 kids, and my regular work schedule is 9 to 6, however, the commute is 1.5 hours door to door so I don't get home till 7:30 either. I also stay late till 9-10, sometimes even later if there is an emergency, about 4-5 times a month. I could probably go to another industry that does not require so many hours, or find a job closer to home that does not require such huge commute, but I would have to take a significant pay cut, probably 50%, and I just really can't do this right now with one kid going to college in a year and two more on the way, and me being the breadwinner for the family. Moving to a state where the cost of living is cheaper is not an option-we come from a culture where having family and friends around tops everything so everyone who is dear right now is very near.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,713,540 times
you wanna make the big bucks, you gotta work. at least you got a girlfriend you're into so you dont have to go hunting for dates at night or weekends. sounds like you're in an enviable situation and shouldn't be complaining.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:09 PM

5,028 posts, read 3,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalez11 View Post
Hello everyone,

A lot of times I have to finish my work at home after I leave the office until late at night.

It's great you're heading up, but I'm debating this. You're 25? Heck, when I was 25 I was rip roaring working 12's and then sleep 4-7 hours and ready to go again...Yes, had energy like crazy, could it be your diet? eating habits? lack of various vitamins?

I'd save my fun for the weekend, bowling, drinking and such. Come Monday, ready to go...I think you should be checked out....losing interest in things sounds like depression is creeping up on you.

(Note: I read the passage just before posting. If you have to finish from home, the work seems to be such a burden on your life I suspect there's too much they are putting on you)

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,822,336 times
I just wish I had more time to travel out of state for fun. Apart from taking a couple of classes during the week, the fear of driving 8-12 hours just to spend a few hours at the destination and drive back again is harrowing. It's almost like my entire life is being devoted to being behind the wheel of something.

Then again, it's also about the location in which you live.

If you're in some place like LA, Vegas, or even Phoenix, the drive out to some place fun isn't all that bad.
If you're stuck in an area like where I'm currently at due to work, then it's typically anywhere between a 4-12 hour drive at the minimum until you reach a worthwhile destination. I'm beginning to suspect and am probably correct that rural areas are predominantly useless for anyone that doesn't have a family, or isn't retired.

Time to look into staffing companies that send one out and then bring you back when the time at the work location is up.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,295,361 times
Sounds like burn out may be creeping up on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment