Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM

275 posts, read 252,492 times

Advertisements

I know I am being stupid. I thought I should lead with this to keep all of you from replying with that and nothing else.

That said, I just found out we are having performance reviews at my work starting next week...and I am really nervous about it.

For no reason. Intellectually, I know this. I don't get called into the office. I don't get emails from my bosses upset that I am not doing things I should be. I don't miss deadlines. I work for fair people who would, and have in the past (although it has been a while) tell you that you were doing something wrong. I have the kind of bosses who address things IMMEDIATELY, same day immediately. Call you into the office RIGHT THEN to talk about things right when they happen.

So, why in the heck am I so worried about this??? And, without copious amounts of gin or Valium, how do I not stress about this for the next week? Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 04:20 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Because the so-called "performance review", along with the concept of working for a straight salary, represents a tactic by which "corporate culture" holds all the high cards. The individual is powerless to define his/her own turf, and prove that he/she is performing well via empirical measures alone; it's all about a submissive attitude! The employee is put on the defensive and kept there, while compensation is often doled out by a formula not much different from the "from each according to his ability and to each according to his needs" mantra of Marx.

I can't offer a solution, the societal changes of the past twenty years have furnished the manipulators with a huge supply of fresh meat, who won't see the downside until it's far too late for them. The process merely repeats itself.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
^Bitter much??

OP, is this the first time they are doing performance reviews or do they do them on a regular basis? There's no need to worry about it until it happens.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM

They did them one other time. And my review was good.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:06 PM

117 posts, read 129,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
I'd be willing to wager this one will be as well. Save the gin and Valium for the fun times on the weekend.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Than don't worry. You do know you can add comments or speak up if there is something you don't agree with.

I always got good reviews like you, but one time I had an awful boss who had to find negatives. He had something on there that wasn't true and I spoke up and he removed it before I signed it.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Read here: Search Results

Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Read here: Search Results

Thanks. This has a lot of info.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than don't worry. You do know you can add comments or speak up if there is something you don't agree with.

I always got good reviews like you, but one time I had an awful boss who had to find negatives. He had something on there that wasn't true and I spoke up and he removed it before I signed it.
I am trying not to. I am not one of those who don't have a life outside of work, but I do take my job seriously. If I am going to be there 9+ hours per day, I am going to do a good job while I am there. Not doing so is a waste of my time. So, I guess it feels that if the review is negative it means that I am not doing my best.

Trying. Not. To. Worry.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
I know I am being stupid. I thought I should lead with this to keep all of you from replying with that and nothing else.

That said, I just found out we are having performance reviews at my work starting next week...and I am really nervous about it.

For no reason. Intellectually, I know this. I don't get called into the office. I don't get emails from my bosses upset that I am not doing things I should be. I don't miss deadlines. I work for fair people who would, and have in the past (although it has been a while) tell you that you were doing something wrong. I have the kind of bosses who address things IMMEDIATELY, same day immediately. Call you into the office RIGHT THEN to talk about things right when they happen.

So, why in the heck am I so worried about this??? And, without copious amounts of gin or Valium, how do I not stress about this for the next week? Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Concentrate on getting ready for it. Are you supposed to list out your work projects and accomplishments? Do that either chronologically or by major project. Look up the work products/reports you've submitted, consult your calendar to remind yourself of all the work you've done - you might surprise yourself when you seen the volumes you've accomplished!

It's good you haven't gotten negative attention for mistakes or causing problems but now you have to have a stack of positive stuff to remind your boss what you've done or that your boss can take when he/she has to convince his superiors who will get the most money. Get to it and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment