Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times

Advertisements

What are some good careers that require the employee to travel on a regular basis?

I currently work in healthcare revenue cycle, and have been for roughly three years, but I job hop a lot because I just can't stand staying in one place for too long. I've been with my current employer for nine months and I decided I will stay an additional three months but then I have to get out of here.

So I thought to myself, how about just finding a job that requires traveling? Problem is that I don't know of any.

So I would like to ask for your advice. What are some good careers that require getting on a plane and traveling long distance at least once a month? Preferably once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The obvious ones are pilot and flight attendant, but all kinds of consulting jobs require frequent travel. The provider of our database/billing software is located in Orlando, and many of their jobs require travel at the level of "road warrior" for new installations and ongoing support. One of their people that I work with has done installations in Hawaii, Greece, and Germany as well as here in Seattle, and several in Canada. There are also sales and technician jobs for very specialized mechanical equipment such as robotics that travel a lot because their customers are so spread out.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Consultant.

Large consulting firms will send you out on tons of temporary stints all over the US and the world, which will have you traveling 80-90% of the time.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:23 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Consulting.... That's a pretty vast field, isn't it? Consulting for what?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Yes it is a vast field because there are consulting jobs for every industry and service.

You can try to get a consulting position in your current field: healthcare financial management/operations. They may like your experience, since it will mean a shorter learning curve of the field.

But you don't really need expertise in any particular area. They will train you for that once hired.

What the consulting firms are really interested in is whether you have the basic competencies/skills that will enable you to perform well, like: quick learner, excellent analytical skills, excellent communication skills, detail oriented, team player, etc.

If they like you, they will train you to become an expert in a specific industry or type of service.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
The top consulting firms hire only top school MBAs out of school. You have no hance getting in there plus you don't really want that life. Travel is frequent but you are not home every week. You are sent on location for weeksnto months at a time.

The next beat thing is sales. If you get a job covering your inmediate territory you won't have to donmuch overnight travel. But be careful what you wosh you. Some positions require you to be travelling 70-80% of the time and that gets old very fast.

In your field you may be able to get into hospital software sales, such as financial software, medical software, clinical worlkflow software, etc. companiea hire for tax and accounting software sales as well if ou know tour stuff.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
The top consulting firms hire only top school MBAs out of school.
^^^^ This is largely true.

Nevertheless, a fair number of people graduating with top grades from top undergraduate programs are hired. It is within the realm of possibility to land one of those jobs if you haven't been out of college long, had an excellent GPA, have had good jobs since graduation, and interview well. But you don't have to get a job in one of the TOP firms. There are lots of consulting firms. Look for something in a mid-level firm.

However, if you want to improve your odds of getting into a TOP firm--and you're not Phi Beta Kappa, summa c um laude, and all that--getting an MBA from a top B-school would be the way to go.

Last edited by Sage 80; 03-10-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Sales and technical reps for pharma industry.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:49 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
If you think not traveling is boring, try traveling. It gets old VERY fast. Trust me. And if you have a significant other, own a house, have pets--your absence starts costing you financially and emotionally, so make sure you're being paid a very significant salary.

A lot of times in my travels, you come in late on a Sunday, sit in various conference rooms, eat pizza/subs/snacks for lunch, ditto for dinner, and you drag it back to the hotel by 9 or so, just to start the cycle all over again. Then you work harder and harder until Friday, since you inevitably fall behind, and you get to the airport JUST IN TIME to catch the next plane home (if you're lucky), or to the next job (very likely). Then you start that cycle again.

Even if you do manage to make it home, you've got significant other, laundry, pets, housework, etc. and before you know it, it's Sunday night already, and time to catch the next plane. Somehow in the midst of traveling to the new work location, you have to give your full attention to the new client, while also calling back to the previous client to get information you missed. This is where it snowballs. . . . .

If you do want to travel for business, do it while you're young and single (which is a KEY hiring criteria for a lot of consulting firms) because even slightly older job seekers are already aware of the travel thing. YOU NEVER GET TO SEE ANY OF THOSE EXOTIC LOCATIONS: you just travel to, then through, then away from them.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
What are some good careers that require the employee to travel on a regular basis?

I currently work in healthcare revenue cycle, and have been for roughly three years, but I job hop a lot because I just can't stand staying in one place for too long. I've been with my current employer for nine months and I decided I will stay an additional three months but then I have to get out of here.

So I thought to myself, how about just finding a job that requires traveling? Problem is that I don't know of any.

So I would like to ask for your advice. What are some good careers that require getting on a plane and traveling long distance at least once a month? Preferably once a week.
Fireman, police...Oh wait, different states? Um...Fed agent then....Tax collector? TRUCK DRIVER!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment