Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:43 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

I am an RN of 25 years who has been working at my present job for 14 months. It's a decent job, I don't hate it, I don't love it, but I have an extremely supportive and kind supervisor. What makes this unique is that my supervisor is in a different city hundreds of miles away and I have never met her face to face, only communicated via phone and email.

Anyway, this is a small company and does not offer healthcare benefits. My family recently lost our benefits through a job loss on my husband's part and we cannot afford the COBRA or ACA options, which for a family are well over $1,000/month. I am in a position where I have to find a job ASAP that offers affordable healthcare. I put out some feelers and I have an interview with a huge, national company with very good benefits next week. Had the benefit issue not come up, I would not be leaving my current job, partly because my supervisor is so nice. My husband is currently looking too, but I am much more in demand and can find a job much more easily and, due to a chronic condition on his part, we need benefits sooner rather than later.

Here's the hard part: my supervisor is always telling me how valuable I am to the company and how much she appreciates my work, and she's even tried to figure out a way that I can stay in spite of our benefits problem (her idea is not workable at all, but she tried, that's the thing)...how in the world do I tell her that I am going to be leaving as soon as I find something with benefits? I don't feel like I can tell her over the phone, but I can't find the right words to send an email either. I would kind of like to give her a heads up before I give a two week notice, but...how?? Am I overthinking this? I know people have left this company before for benefits, higher pay, etc., so maybe I am overestimating how hard she will take it.

I have already considered every option and am definitely going to leave, in fact I think the new job sounds intriguing and more interesting than my current one, so I don't need any suggestions on ways to stay with the company, I need advice on how to leave in a nice, gentle way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:47 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Don't give her a heads-up. Bad idea. Wait until you get an offer in writing. Then send a two-week notice via email. I wouldn't overthink it. Bosses know this happens and they should reasonably anticipate it. Two-week notices may be standard, but they are also good for the place you are leaving, and it should not affect your references in the future.

When it comes to the letter itself, be polite, concise and formal. Just say that you are submitting your two-week notice to take another position (if you even want to specify that, which you don't have to) and that you enjoyed your time at your job and appreciate your supervisor (if you want to get into it all).

Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
Honestly, you're replaceable. Just give a two weeks notice.

For all that its worth, she could say how valuable all her employees are. Its called motivation. You have it easier since you've never seen her in person. You would also be surprised how many other posts are like this. They get so in a bind and stressed out about giving two weeks notice.

If something happened, trust me, the company wouldn't give a second thought you letting YOU go.

I was in the same boat. I was such a loved worked. I had a hard time giving my notice. I just typed up a letter, gave it to my manager, and he said "good luck". The company is still around today, so they must've survived without me.

Why am I having this overwhelming feeling of guilt providing notice?

Should I Give My Employer More Than the Typical "Two Weeks Notice"?

What reason do I give for leaving my job?

etc etc

Last edited by leadingedge04; 03-18-2016 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Text

Forget email.
Email is for old people.
Send a simple text at the 2 week mark.
"I resign as of xxxx."

Old 03-18-2016, 09:17 PM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
No "heads up" is needed. Call her to explain it nicely, two weeks before you leave. Follow-up with an official e-mail.

I had the best manager, the job before last. I had to call him to resign, for my current position and it was the toughest call I ever had to make. I just took a deep breath, knew beforehand what I would say and made the call. My manager knew it was not about him (nothing personal), but I had just received a better opportunity and wanted to move on.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
No need to give a heads-up.

Everyone is replaceable.

Find another job.

Turn in your notice.

This is business -- it's not personal.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Forget email.
Email is for old people.
Send a simple text at the 2 week mark.
"I resign as of xxxx."
Don't text. For something like that, it's rude.
Send a nice e-mail stating basically what you said here.
Frankly, it might even be super nice to have an actual typed and signed letter.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Ok, the most important thing is, as the saying goes, don't count your chickens just yet.

The OP has an interview next week, and may very well get a job based on that interview. But it's not an absolute given, so don't get your hopes up too high because the disappointment will be that much greater if you don't get it. There have been people on this forum that did exactly that, pretty much thought they'd get a job offer even before the interview, and strangely enough never heard from them again on this forum in regards to that (most likely never even got a job offer).

Of course I wish the OP best and that she gets a job offer with better benefits, but just saying.

Now, speaking generally about how to quit the job, it's perfectly natural to feel guilty when you think you have great rapport with a supervisor/management. But this is a business, and never forget you are replaceable at any minute, and that you are never friends with management. You don't owe them anything except the most basics of common courtesy.

So in that regards, all you really need to do is give a standard 2 week notice, or whatever may be required from your company handbook. Some places I worked in past did explicitly state that a 2 week notice was preferred when leaving.

And most importantly, tell your supervisor IN PERSON, not an email. Either schedule a time to meet briefly in office or just ask to talk briefly. Keep it simple and brief, and always positive.

Seeing as the OP has a very legitimate reason for seeking a new job with better benefits, considering her husband lost his job, OP shouldn't have any issues giving the notice.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ok, the most important thing is, as the saying goes, don't count your chickens just yet.

The OP has an interview next week, and may very well get a job based on that interview. But it's not an absolute given, so don't get your hopes up too high because the disappointment will be that much greater if you don't get it. There have been people on this forum that did exactly that, pretty much thought they'd get a job offer even before the interview, and strangely enough never heard from them again on this forum in regards to that (most likely never even got a job offer).

Ah! I didn't even read that. Yes, OP you are getting ahead of yourself. There is usually 1 opening for 20-50 candidates. Wait until you get the job offer, then worry.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:10 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
If she knows your situation and is already in the health field she understands. If you need health insurance you need insurance. When the time comes just let her know you have to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment