Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Terrible management and employee communications. If they really wanted to sabotage you, they would have hidden the documents from you finding them at all.
Not really. If they had hidden the docs completely, then I would have had deniability when it came back to me. All I have to do when it comes back to me is say I never saw those documents before. But they were out in the open and they were assigned to me. Had I not sat in there till the AM finishing those docs correctly, I would have had to do some serious explanation yoga without sounding like I'm making excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:53 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Bolded stuff is exactly why I can't dismiss this off as simple miscommunication. The audit was scheduled for Wednesday. Everyone knew I was down in Florida the week before the audit. Why pile up important work on a table and assign them to the guy that was on vacation? I didn't get anything about it at all. Not a memo or email. Nothing. If I hadn't started questioning about that pile of documents, I never would have found out that pile had my name on it.

I know I gave very little info, but honest to goodness that's all of it. Before I went on vacation I finished everything I needed to do. I went on vacation with a clean slate. Came back and no one said anything to me. Never received an email or anything. Noticed a pile of documents on a table in a different room. Found out the afternoon before the audit that the pile was assigned to me while I was on vacation. There's really little else I can say about it.

I guess it really doesn't matter now because my portion of the audit passed and I'm moving to a new office in a couple weeks anyway...
I would do as Nomoresnowforme suggests, and mentioning it to your supervisor or others just to let them know what happened. What happened, happened, yes, but that doesn't mean you just let it slide.

Now again, maybe it was an 'innocent' thing done by someone. I just find it odd that something critical to you would be tossed and forgotten in another room, not even on your own desk. Again, the files weren't even on your desk so you could get notice and get to it right away after coming back from vacation. Very suspicious to me. At the very least very careless and unprofessional whoever did it without even leaving you a note or e-mail.

I probably work in a different industry than you, but in general audits are audits (we have them too), and a very important aspect of the job. Not something to take lightly.

So at the least mention it to people so that they are aware that you are aware of what happened. If something like that happened at any of my work places in the past, I can assure people here that e-mails would have been floating around, or discussed at meetings, that you don't let things like that happen prior to an important audit.

You don't need to go on a witch hunt or make a mountain out of a molehill, but I wouldn't do as some would suggest just to forget about it. That kind of stuff does nothing but eat away at you.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions, but yours isn't that far fetched either.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:22 PM

251 posts, read 203,891 times
Had that happened to me, I would wonder, too. All in all, though, I'm inclined to agree with Macroy and Suburban Guy. Seems to me that it's also possible to have been a badly made "left-handed" compliment: they put the docs together, knowing you'd get it done.

Your mileage may vary, but if you've been there for a while without persistent problems with any one, and your stuff is routinely done well, a combination of good faith and bad communications would also produce that outcome.

Welcome back to work!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I would do as Nomoresnowforme suggests, and mentioning it to your supervisor or others just to let them know what happened. What happened, happened, yes, but that doesn't mean you just let it slide.

Now again, maybe it was an 'innocent' thing done by someone. I just find it odd that something critical to you would be tossed and forgotten in another room, not even on your own desk. Again, the files weren't even on your desk so you could get notice and get to it right away after coming back from vacation. Very suspicious to me. At the very least very careless and unprofessional whoever did it without even leaving you a note or e-mail.

I probably work in a different industry than you, but in general audits are audits (we have them too), and a very important aspect of the job. Not something to take lightly.

So at the least mention it to people so that they are aware that you are aware of what happened. If something like that happened at any of my work places in the past, I can assure people here that e-mails would have been floating around, or discussed at meetings, that you don't let things like that happen prior to an important audit.

You don't need to go on a witch hunt or make a mountain out of a molehill, but I wouldn't do as some would suggest just to forget about it. That kind of stuff does nothing but eat away at you.
To tell you the truth, I think I have a pretty good idea of who is ultimately behind it.

At the end of the week, I did mention what happened and asked him why wasn't I told about that pile of documents that got assigned to me? He said I should have known about it. I said how? since I was on vacation. All he said back was he was sick of me making excuses. He said it loud enough to let other people hear it.

I mentioned this in another thread. A few months ago, upper management mentioned in a meeting that they were looking for someone to fill a senior management position. I gave them my brother's name, and a few weeks later they brought him on. He'll be my boss in a couple weeks.

Anyway, my brother just told me that the same guy's been telling people I was lazy.

I'm actually kinda furious now that my brother told me this.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Sounds like a saboteur. Perhaps your brother can help.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:50 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
To tell you the truth, I think I have a pretty good idea of who is ultimately behind it.

At the end of the week, I did mention what happened and asked him why wasn't I told about that pile of documents that got assigned to me? He said I should have known about it. I said how? since I was on vacation. All he said back was he was sick of me making excuses. He said it loud enough to let other people hear it.

I mentioned this in another thread. A few months ago, upper management mentioned in a meeting that they were looking for someone to fill a senior management position. I gave them my brother's name, and a few weeks later they brought him on. He'll be my boss in a couple weeks.

Anyway, my brother just told me that the same guy's been telling people I was lazy.

I'm actually kinda furious now that my brother told me this.
Wondering why you didn't mention this in your original post.

Didn't you do similar in your other thread, where you left out some things but slowly revealed them as the thread went on?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Wondering why you didn't mention this in your original post.
Because I talked to my brother after I made the OP.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
I hope you don't think your Black manager is out to get you because you're gay. Like I've said, I've had this happen to me. Poor management /communication.

In any case, aren't you changing teams? Don't waste mental /emotional energy on something that really doesn't matter at this point.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
It's the Illuminati obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment