Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

reason i ask is i am now with my second company in which it appears most (at least in my group) don't leave or even take a few minutes for lunch.

they go downstairs to the on-site cafeteria, get something quickly and head right back to their desks.

i don't know yet if the workload is so great where that is necessary but both of these companies are highly ranked in regards to "best places to work".

so, is this becoming some sort of trend? if you leave your desk for 30 minutes - 1 hour for lunch, is that frowned upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 05:34 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Not where I work, the mortgage division of a bank.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Talk to your manager. Minimum lunch is typically 30 minutes but an hour would be very generous. I take it you're salaried? You're a little bit "on your honor" if that's the case but don't take advantage of it, especially if your coworkers are shorting themselves.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:42 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
We get an hour, but most exempt folks don't take it. They do run outside to grab food, sit in the cafeteria to eat it, take a walk, etc., for half an hour or so. If there's a need to run an errand, it would be fine to take the hour, but it's not something we do regularly. I think I did it around Christmas a few times. I mostly don't take lunch, though, although 20-30 minutes daily wouldn't raise eyebrows. But I've begun to realize we have pretty good working conditions.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
Where I work, I am a 7:30 - 4:30 with an hour lunch where I take it more often than not. My boss encourages taking it stating it is your time technically. The only time I don't take it is if I would have to stay late on something. I would much rather start my day earlier and work through lunch than stay late or login during the evening.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:26 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
In my 25+ years working for a wide variety of industries from NYC to DC to NC, I've always been given a lunch time, either 30 minutes or an hour.

When I worked in NYC we got an hour for lunch, AND it was brought in and paid for by the company. Many of us would spend 30 minutes in the break room eating together, and then spend the other 30 minutes outside in the sunshine if the weather was nice. Others would skip the food and head out to Fifth Avenue to do some shopping for an hour.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 AM

93 posts, read 95,936 times
In my team of 7, only one routinely works through lunch. I take an hour, every day unless I'm exceptionally busy. My boss and another coworker go together most days for 1.5-2 hours so I do not feel awkward about taking my hour.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:54 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
I've noticed a trend towards eating at desks too. But, I think it has more to do with priorities than company policy. Most of us have kids, book clubs, sports, etc. and so would rather leave early than take a long lunch.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:18 AM

774 posts, read 744,856 times
At my company, non-exempt associates are required to take their breaks and lunches. Exempt staff is encouraged to take a full lunch. It's not about earning it or deserving it (though they all do) it's about NEEDING it. It's important to refuel the mind and body. Some people do eat at their desks or work thru by their own choice but there is no expectation. There are exceptions of course when a working lunch meeting is unavoidable but they are really discouraged other than as a last resort.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:30 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,856 times
Are you salaried or hourly?

I am guessing that if you and your group is salaried they're eating at their desks so they can work 7-3 or 8-4 instead of 7-4 and 8-5 with a lunch in between...I would prefer to do that too, I'd rather leave the office earlier in the day than go out to lunch and spend money every day. I might go out occasionally and get something but...nah

That said I work nights and almost nothing is open past 10pm so most of my coworkers and I either bring food from home or go out early in the shift to get food, occasionally if we aren't busy someone might run out at 3am for fast food but they come right back...so if we ever do end up on day shift for a week we go out to lunch every day to take advantage of all the places that are closed while we're working. But if I was working day shift all the time, as a salaried employee, I would not bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment