Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

I am polite and friendly, but I am not going to be obsequious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post

How do you feel about these sorts of things, from your perspective as a customer?

The last thing I want to see is a frown. If you are in a customer-facing position, it's your job to make the customer feel welcome. If you can't do that, find another line of work. (Not you specifically )

Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In my experience, people who feel like this just don't like being told what to do.

Just wear the 37 pieces of flair. It's part of the job.

Don't like it? Find a job that doesn't deal with the public.

Joanna: Yeah. You know what, yeah, I do want to express myself, okay. And I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it. [flips off Stan]

Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
It's ingratiating and obnoxious. I also hate when a cashier or server reads my name from my credit card, and then uses it when returning the card. If I want you to use my name, I'll introduce myself.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's a wrong concept of introversion that being introverted means not to "like dealing with the public." That's not being introverted, that's just being a jerk.

Introversion means a person values and uses his "alone time" to recharge, grow, and re-discover who he is. Introversion doesn't mean he necessarily has any problem being as outgoing and pleasant as anyone else, and an introvert can be extremely adept and successful in public.

An extrovert must be with people to do those same things, and that doesn't mean an extrovert is necessarily adept in dealing with other people. I know some people who can't stand being alone--extroverts--and are still socially clumsy.
Ugh...the constant recitation of the definition of a introvert is becoming almost as tiresome as hearing someone who has taken one statistics class (or less) gleefully mouth the words "correlation is not causation". That said, the rest of your "definition" is incorrect - introverts don't use alone time to "rediscover" thmeselves - I know quite who I am.

As an introvert, yes, I recharge better alone. Which means that working with people is MORE effort to me than working alone. So YES, I'm not completely inept with people (that would be close to autistic, or something, right?) but that's mostly semantics. I prefer not to work with people because it is exhausting over a certain amount of time that is much lower than what others can take. When I'm exhausted I may be a bit jerkier than my good-natured normal self...the same way an extrovert would be, just much sooner.

But thanks for the education

Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
It's ingratiating and obnoxious. I also hate when a cashier or server reads my name from my credit card, and then uses it when returning the card. If I want you to use my name, I'll introduce myself.
If you want creepy, it's when they know your name as you walk up to the register because of different ways you were identified when you walked into the store.

OTOH, when I go into my favorite breakfast shop, the staff has my usual halfway prepared by the time I get to the counter. At my favorite hardware store, they know me by name. I know the staff at both places by first name. Also, my wife and I know many of the waitstaff at our favorite restaurants by name.

I make a point of greeting them all by name. I check nametags of cashiers and give them a "have a good day" by name (those with Hispanic, Middle Eastern, or Asian names are usually pleasantly surprised that I know how to pronounce them properly...but I've been places).

In all those cases it tends to result in better service, a bit extra when their jobs don't really require that bit extra. Most people prefer being treated like a person, including introverts.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:16 AM

429 posts, read 390,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am polite and friendly, but I am not going to be obsequious.
Yes. Are we Downton Abbey servants in merry old England? Are we footmen and butlers?

Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,098 times
I hate it. Guitar Center does that. Makes the salesman come up and initiate a conversation. Beyond annoying. So, I stopped going there. All "buy local" now.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:46 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
"How can I help you"? is good enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ugh...the constant recitation of the definition of a introvert is becoming almost as tiresome as hearing someone who has taken one statistics class (or less) gleefully mouth the words "correlation is not causation". That said, the rest of your "definition" is incorrect - introverts don't use alone time to "rediscover" thmeselves - I know quite who I am.

As an introvert, yes, I recharge better alone. Which means that working with people is MORE effort to me than working alone. So YES, I'm not completely inept with people (that would be close to autistic, or something, right?) but that's mostly semantics. I prefer not to work with people because it is exhausting over a certain amount of time that is much lower than what others can take. When I'm exhausted I may be a bit jerkier than my good-natured normal self...the same way an extrovert would be, just much sooner.

Thank you. It wasn't worth the bother for me.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

After having been an introvert since the 1950s, I've figured out some things about living it beyond what you think you know. And 15 of those years were even in Bloomington IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment