Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:02 PM

29,457 posts, read 22,426,335 times

Advertisements

One shouldn't do any career path if that's not what their heart is in.

Sure we can be swayed by stories of how trade schools are a better option than college for some, how trades will be more viable and stable than a 9-5 desk job, but if that's not what you really want to do, then don't.

My dad was a plumber and I flowed him on the job often. Not something I liked at all. I'm not into things like electrician, HVAC, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 01:19 PM

26 posts, read 23,116 times
My hobbies are sewing and drawing, but I don't think that should be left as a hobby as I can't make money off that i have tried many times trying to sell art. I was only able to sell art at 2 dollars just don't get customers alot.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 PM

115 posts, read 129,905 times
Do you guarantee a job afterwards? I am stuck at a low wage $14.50 an hr/$750 per week factory job and need something that pays a bit more. At least $1000 a week up to $1500 weekly.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
Do you guarantee a job afterwards? I am stuck at a low wage $14.50 an hr/$750 per week factory job and need something that pays a bit more. At least $1000 a week up to $1500 weekly.
wow if i was paid that much i would have alot left over. over here rent isn't that much here

Old 03-25-2016, 09:56 PM

25,391 posts, read 17,072,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linari View Post
I am wanting to go to trade school since I can't find anything I want to do at a 4 year college i'm not into accounting/computer science/nursing ect
I want to get into dental assistant but can I live off the salary? I live in texas.
How do people even find their path
I found mine in the navy, years ago.
Go talk to your Navy or Air Force or any military recruiter. Don't forget the Coast Guard. They'll all give you a battery of tests designed to show where your interests are, and then they send you off to school.

Here's a retired NFL player who joined, so all sorts of people serve for all sorts of reasons. He'll be trained as a helicopter mechanic.
Ex-NFL Star Joins the National Guard | Under the Radar

Old 03-26-2016, 03:17 PM

209 posts, read 291,638 times
Most people who enter the trades do so because they have a natural inclination to work with their hands. The decision as to which trade to enter is made based on their level of interest. Folks who enjoy fixing things will likely enter some sort of mechanical trade such as auto mechanics or being a millwright. Folks interested in more abstract theory will likely go into being an electrician or into HVAC work. Bear in mind that there are also apprenticeship programs available out there for those who are interested in entering the trades as well.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:22 PM

7,996 posts, read 10,362,820 times
Quote:
My hobbies are sewing and drawing, but I don't think that should be left as a hobby as I can't make money off that i have tried many times trying to sell art. I was only able to sell art at 2 dollars just don't get customers alot.
What about graphic design?

Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,036,260 times
Quote:
So you like to work with your hands and create.

Truth is, you'll probably have to try several fields before you find one that will stick. The average successful entrepreneur tried 17 jobs before they found something that fit.

Don't give up...

If you are going to learn a trade, get one where a job will be waiting for you when you graduate. There a TOO MANY scam schools out there training people to be
-hairdressers
-nail salon workers
-barbers
-graphic designers
-photographers
-graphic art designers.
-etc

Scam schools that can't guarantee students a job, are CRIMINAL enterprises that play to a young persons dream of making a decent living and providing for a family. Students leave these schools with Hugh debt and no real opportunities except self employment.

Think hard before you leap....

Old 03-27-2016, 12:52 PM

are graphics designers in demand? over here you need a 4 degree but I don't know if i will be able to land a job after.
I think i'm more interested in dental assistant field or othordontist assisant don't know if that one exsist though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment