Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I got to thinking, I know that, if I were in the situation that the Disney workers were and was asked to train my cheap labor foreign replacement in order to get severance, I'd say "Hell no!" and walk out. Would you?

What's the severance package?
If it is like most places, it will be 1-3 months salary and include a non-disparagement clause.
For peanuts you're signing an agreement to give up your free speech rights and are agreeing to allow your previous employer, the one that is screwing you, the right to SUE YOU for complaining about it. And it also probably has a binding arbitration clause so you have no chance of winning.
No way will I sign a non-disparagement clause.
Sign a time-limited non-disclosure clause? Sure, that's reasonable, but you sign those when you begin the job, not when you leave.

I would continue to do my best in the job I have while looking for another job.
I would not quit, and I would not train my replacement other than the basic info that I would do for anyone having that job. They would have to fire me. If they fired me and my lawyer says I have a suit, then I'd let him run with it.

Full disclosure: I'm retired now, but when employed my wife and I both have always had good jobs, savings, and only mortgage debt.
I well understand that a young person just starting out (possibly with kids) would have no choice at all but to take the money and hope for the best. Taking advantage of young people, screwing them, tossing them aside and like that makes me boiling mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I disagree. The reason for the discharge is not refusing to train the replacements, but the company's decision to outsource the work. I started representing employees in unemployment cases in probably 1978 and I would do that case any day. And win.
Hey, that's a better idea. Refuse to train, turn down the severance, and sue the ba******!

If that was not an option, I would train but leave out important information, such that they would not really be able to do the job right.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
The solution is simple. Train them badly, wrong, don't reveal your trade secrets etc.

Wisdom from Homer Simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYXzHjbfMDk

Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 PM

275 posts, read 252,455 times
Quote:
I got to thinking, I know that, if I were in the situation that the Disney workers were and was asked to train my cheap labor foreign replacement in order to get severance, I'd say "Hell no!" and walk out. Would you?

As in CA you can collect severance and unemployment at the same time, I absolutely would do it. Not saying I would enjoy it...but if I am losing my job either way, I am going to do what I need to in order to make sure I am in the best possible financial shape when my job ends.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:48 PM

179 posts, read 122,879 times
Quote:
Yes. I mean in the Disney situation, where they basically stabbed you in the back?
There should be a nation-wide boycott of all things Disney in response.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:09 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
I would have trained them while looking for a new job. Once I found a good enough one I would leave an forfeit the severance. No use forfeiting your severance unless you know you have. Obey coming in.

There was plenty of time to get a new job, if the Disney employee became unemployed afterwards that's their own fault, they should have great resumes.

The situation sucks, don't get me wrong, and I would be livid, but business is business.
It's their fault if they can't find a job? Get real!

Some of them were at the point where they were considered to be "too old". When that happens, it's hard to get hired. Plus, so many Indians who came here on H1-Bs, later to get green cards and be in a position to hire, blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

If a person who is replaced by an H1-B is living in an area that doesn't have a lot of tech jobs, then it becomes more difficult to find a similar job. Even in a large tech job market, it isn't easy to find work. A decade ago, my husband was unemployed for several months despite being in a large market and having lots of experience.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
does mongoose dislike foreign workers? Would he feel the same way about just training his replacement period? Why bring up the foreign part of it?

He brought up the "foreign part" because that's what is happening here. How often do you hear about a company laying off Americans and replacing them with other Americans and forcing them to train their replacements?

Old 03-25-2016, 03:43 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:

I would hold a secret meeting with all the other employees, and make sure everyone trained all the new hires to do their jobs wrong.

Then, when you are all gone and everything turns to crap, they'll be calling all of you begging you to come back.

Should happen before your severance package expires, so be ready.

SS

Old 03-25-2016, 03:44 PM

275 posts, read 252,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I would hold a secret meeting with all the other employees, and make sure everyone trained all the new hires to do their jobs wrong.

Then, when you are all gone and everything turns to crap, they'll be calling all of you begging you to come back.

Should happen before your severance package expires, so be ready.

SS

Or, none of this. I would do none of it.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:08 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
What's the severance package?
If it is like most places, it will be 1-3 months salary and include a non-disparagement clause.
For peanuts you're signing an agreement to give up your free speech rights and are agreeing to allow your previous employer, the one that is screwing you, the right to SUE YOU for complaining about it. And it also probably has a binding arbitration clause so you have no chance of winning.
AFAIK, this is the only individual who publicly spoke out against what Disney did. And he's willing to since he's saying he won't go back to IT, and doing something with the family business, so no repercussions from that front at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoGPtApzjv4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
I would have trained them while looking for a new job. Once I found a good enough one I would leave an forfeit the severance. No use forfeiting your severance unless you know you have. Obey coming in.

There was plenty of time to get a new job, if the Disney employee became unemployed afterwards that's their own fault, they should have great resumes.

The situation sucks, don't get me wrong, and I would be livid, but business is business.
For the part of this thread, this would be the end of that.

I wouldn't say "business is business", as replacing American workers who were clearly more qualified for the job sets some very bad precedence for the future, of which the least of it is employers abusing the H1 program.

Yet, when an employee coasts on unemployment, he gets labeled a monster, even though such folks are playing by the rules set forth by their state's unemployment insurance agreements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment