Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:51 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I got to thinking, I know that, if I were in the situation that the Disney workers were and was asked to train my cheap labor foreign replacement in order to get severance, I'd say "Hell no!" and walk out. Would you?
You are under the mistaken assumption that the company is stupid. They are not. They actually don't need you to train them in all reality. Even if it takes them months to get up to speed, it is still worth it for the company long run. They are offering this training time to encourage people leaving the company to find another job quickly so they end up not paying severance or unemployment it all. So walking out on this along with your self-important speech does nothing but to show everyone that you weren't a professional to begin with and they made the right choice by replacing you. That they will remember and will only come back to bite you. But you won't have to wait that long, because you'd be unemployed with no severance package having to explain to the next employer why you are out of work. They won't have respect for you how you handed the situation. Sure, they might even sympathize with you, but acting like a child gets no respect for you.

You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at yourself for not building up your own network to find another job the moment there was a rumor of things changing at the company you don't like. But that takes effort. It is easier to blame others.

This is the 21st century and no one owes you a job with their company for life.

If in that situation, I would take the package, train them to the best of my ability because that's what I'm being paid for since I'm a professional, and I would find a new job as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I got to thinking, I know that, if I were in the situation that the Disney workers were and was asked to train my cheap labor foreign replacement in order to get severance, I'd say "Hell no!" and walk out. Would you?
Yes. The severance a Disney would pay would not be worth the problems it would cause psychologically.
I would leave at that moment.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
This happened at my former employer and we were replaced by fellow Americans. Here's how you handle it. Remain professional, train your replacement properly and get your severance (if you can't find another job between time). Because you maintained a good relationship through such a difficult time, if your skills are truly unique or in demand to your former employer, you can go back to your former employer as a contractor or consultant yourself and charge them 2-3 times what you were making than when you worked for them. Use this as a springboard to starting your own business as your former employer, if they are a large corporation like Disney, will have access to tons of connections aka customers. Will it work out like this in every situation? No. But you will kill any chances you have by acting ugly from the onset. Even if you don't start your own business remember, you will need references when applying to the new job. You will definitely want them to be positive from your former employer.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I'm curious why OP threw in the term "foreign." It should apply to training your replacement, foreign or not. Our company will soon be facing that scenario. My coworker informed us that she will be leaving the company several months from now due to a marriage and move. We understand; she doesn't want to commute, we don't blame her one bit, but we want to hire someone to replace her and have her train the new employee before she leaves. I am a part-time employee and can't pick up the slack so we have to have someone in place after she's gone. A mature employee wouldn't have a problem with training a replacement. Workers shouldn't burn bridges, even if they were unhappy at their previous job.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:44 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It doesn't belong to you. If your wife leaves you for another man, that man didn't take your wife from you. She left.
That is a poor analogy.

Quote:
No different than when an airline takes market share, and eventually firings occur at airline losing share. The former "took" your job at the "latter".
That is a poor analogy too.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
OP, Why wouldn't you cry, roll around on the floor, and stomp your feet, too?

Opie Taylor would. Course he was about 6.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I have a feeling I met those foreign workers right after this happened while over on the coast one day. We were in a restaurant in a small town. There were a half dozen Indian men in a group next to us who kept close together with their heads down and who never spoke even to each other. Clearly they were uncomfortable and appeared somewhat shell shocked. The Indian man leading them who was quite outgoing told us he was down from his company in New Jersey that employed these men who had just gotten jobs in the area.

Upon further investigation I found that the new hiring manager at Disney for that department, a recent hire himself, was Indian. My son who was the hiring manager for a Wall St company told me a while back about being hard recruited by a NJ company to staff their IT operations with Indians to be imported. I strongly discouraged the idea and he didn't go with it.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I have a feeling I met those foreign workers right after this happened while over on the coast one day. We were in a restaurant in a small town. There were a half dozen Indian men in a group next to us who kept close together with their heads down and who never spoke even to each other. Clearly they were uncomfortable and appeared somewhat shell shocked. The Indian man leading them who was quite outgoing told us he was down from his company in New Jersey that employed these men who had just gotten jobs in the area.

Upon further investigation I found that the new hiring manager at Disney for that department, a recent hire himself, was Indian. My son who was the hiring manager for a Wall St company told me a while back about being hard recruited by a NJ company to staff their IT operations with Indians to be imported. I strongly discouraged the idea and he didn't go with it.
I've been invited to sit in on some of the meetings that these outsourcing firms in India have with our management. Boy, they promise the moon. If there is anything that we do, they can do it, and they have done it before and better. But in my day to day work with folks, it's not quite the same story. Lots of excuses, lots of training needed, and delays and problems with communication. We get work done with these folks, but it's a lot harder on me. I have to work really hard to make it really easy for them. The sales pitches these managers (and congress people) are getting are what we need to study. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to steal our jobs back because we are too expensive.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 AM

275 posts, read 252,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

If in that situation, I would take the package, train them to the best of my ability because that's what I'm being paid for since I'm a professional, and I would find a new job as soon as possible.
This. Exactly this. Integrity and keeping your word when you say you are doing something.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
This. Exactly this. Integrity and keeping your word when you say you are doing something.
Lolz. "integrity" at min wage McJob that just fired you? Sorry, self respect takes precedent over someone who couldn't care less whether I lived or died. This Live and Die for the company mentality is losing favor with younger gens, and Im glad. Good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment