Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:48 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,721,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't know anything about the food industry, but I know someone who has been absolutely passionate about food since childhood. After two years prof chef schooling, and numerous amazing opportunities, he has decided it's not for him.

Given his training, what alternate jobs or training would be recommended to move into a different role that is perhaps related to being a chef? Skillset includes excellent people skills.
Food truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:04 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,772,927 times
Quote:
Thank you! Those job opportunities look to be in packaging, pallets, and delivery. I think the idea is to find new challenges that don't include labour type jobs.

Seriously? That work can be done in any field. Think more of sales, marketing and product development in the field in which he's trained. There is also the corporate and private chef field and independent catering.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,216,001 times
Quote:
He has culinary school, work experience in a couple of different restaurants including a 2 star Michelin restaurant, high achieving athlete, natural people skills, and no other post-secondary education.

He's passionate about food, but has learned that the stress levels, yelling, swearing, and general tone of the kitchen are not for him. He is calm, but kitchen people are not. Kitchen people are sometimes a bit slow moving and thinking.
If it is the brigade kitchen he is opposed to, he could get into catering, private chef, creating a packaged food product, menu planner for an institution, etc.

There are lots of culinary jobs outside the restaurant kitchen. I am surprised he doesn't know this being a graduate of culinary school.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,108,992 times
Where he can use chef training to apply....Hospital, schools, cruise lines, prisons, man camps (oil industry).

Old 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,730,238 times
First thing that comes to mind is being a Personal Chef for a wealthy individual/family. I know plenty of people who have their own chefs. They tend to be professional beauties, however, and have chefs to keep them (and the 'toys' they have living in their guest houses) on-track where diet is concerned. He would have to know how to prepare food that is pretty, reasonably 'good', and which is packed with nutrition relative to calories.

Then, there's the Caterer's Truck thing in the Movie Industry. I have no idea how that operates. But, with Filmdom moving out of Southern California (and into whatever regions are offering the best incentives), film catering may be a growing thing. We've been invited to lunch on film sets, but never found the time. The food, I hear, can be quite good.

And I've known plenty of bodybuilders/professional beauties, who have people come in, to stock their refrigerators with healthy custom-prepared meals/bins of salads, snacks, etc. Again, the focus is on packing the diet with nutrition, with a minimum of fattening ingredients. If you're a busy professional, and spend hours a day at the gym, it can be hard to focus on, and prepare, an excellent diet.

If this guy is a 'high-achieving athlete', maybe he could get his Personal Trainer's certificate, and become a combination Personal Chef/Personal Trainer/ Life Coach. I know musicians who travel with their own personal trainers. A trainer who also takes care of food intake would be a true blessing for someone like that.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM

726 posts, read 1,224,380 times
Perhaps a personal chef.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,427,748 times
Have him get a degree/certifications in business and look for work at one of the major food companies or even restaurant groups like Darden. Knowing food and business is a great combination.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:20 PM

11,015 posts, read 9,644,015 times
High end catering
Private or personal chef
Chef at a fancy spa
Cruise ship chef
Yacht Chef
Bed and breakfast chef
Chef at an exclusive rehab facility (like Passages Malibu)
Cookbook author
Consulting for restaurant equipment manufacturers
Culinary Arts professor for community college CA institutes
Hotel Catering manager

Old 03-27-2016, 04:42 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,133,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Food truck
This was my thought, until I read that he doesn't want to do a "labor" job. Does this mean he is seeking a desk job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment