Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:49 PM

729 posts, read 429,456 times

Advertisements

I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 03:17 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think more young people should think about having professions they can keep active in until they're 100, if they want, regardless of what others think.
I was forced out after a bank buy out, at 64, and it was not because of performance.
I am jealous of people who get to do what they love until they want to stop.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I am 50 and I hope to be working another 37 years, that will have me at the 55 years of service mark. That is my goal anyway. I don't want to have to work. I want to work as long as I like doing what I am doing. I have to work till the house is paid off and my investments are at the point that I want them to be at. I don't have to work for the next 37 years other than at this point I love what I am doing and want to continue on.

Currently I have over 5 weeks a year in PTO. Used as I want to use it that gives me plenty of time off during the year.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:46 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
No, we outlast the younger ones ! We show up on time, work all day, never miss work, and do not complain about minor issues. Our lives are not in turmoil, and we have knowledge and skills that only time and maturity brings. My nose isn't stuck to my cell phone for 3/4 of the day.

I'm 70 and have outlasted a whole bunch of younger people who come and go. I could walk into any of 5 places tomorrow and have a job because they know I give them a full days work for a full days pay.

Don

Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Do they get "pushed" out? No.
Many times they do!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:21 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
A 60 year old probably doesn't get pushed out by a 25 year old. A 40 or 50 year old? More likely. Lots of experience, still young enough to put in plenty of good years.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am 50 and I hope to be working another 37 years, that will have me at the 55 years of service mark. That is my goal anyway. I don't want to have to work. I want to work as long as I like doing what I am doing. I have to work till the house is paid off and my investments are at the point that I want them to be at. I don't have to work for the next 37 years other than at this point I love what I am doing and want to continue on.

Currently I have over 5 weeks a year in PTO. Used as I want to use it that gives me plenty of time off during the year.
I actually know a woman at a place I used to work who just hit 55 years service at age 79, and has no intention of retiring. As long as I continue to enjoy the work and the window office on the waterfront, I'll probably stay to 70, but that will only be 12 years total since I started here at 58.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I take exception to the claim that it's all about luck. It's not a crap shoot. I've worked hard at keeping my skills up to date and learning new ones; a lot of people in their 50s and 60s do not.
Talk to me after you suffer the bad luck that others have, folks who worked to be just as qualified and up-to-date as you claim to be, who simply were working for the wrong company at the wrong time, and were flushed down a path that you should be thanking your lucky stars you weren't flushed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Claiming it's just luck is defeatist and insulting to those who have embraced change.
Claiming it isn't is arrogant and insulting to those who have embraced change and still suffered misfortune.

It may make someone feel better about themselves to think their good fortunate is attributable to their good work. It insulates them from having to practice appropriate consideration and respect toward those who weren't as lucky. It is nothing more than a barrier they build up to rationalize their unjust disparagement and marginalization of such folks. Good work is a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition for success.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Like everything else in this world, it depends. If they're good employees, usually not. If they're crappy employees who rest on their laurels just because they've been at the company since they age of the dinosaurs, they may find themselves without one unexpectedly.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Not in my profession. Of course I'm probably at the final job of my career BUT I'm highly valued for my experience and knowledge, gleaned from years in the business. It doesn't take a degree, thankfully. If I had a degree I might be more competitive for advancement. As it is I could probably get a job one level higher but that's about it. I'm okay where I am. I love my job and am good at it and am appreciated.

I guess that wasn't the question. I work in the federal government and people stay here 'till they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment