Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 PM

134 posts, read 103,104 times

Advertisements

I was in your shoes about 10 months ago. I just new almost immediately I had made a horrible decision. Go with your gut, no sense "hoping" it gets better after a 90 days. If anything, if that's that bad your health and mental state will suffer! Start looking immediately! Like someone else posted, figure out with hubby what you need financially to make it work and that my help guide your next steps, whether looking for a permanent job or a bridge job to tide you over until you find a better job

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:07 PM

242 posts, read 244,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Has the OP posted previously under another name describing the job they left in order to take this current job?

I sense that vibe.

Anyways, the answer is the same to all of these "I hate my job" threads:

1. Learn to adapt, or start looking for another job

2. And look for a job that you truly want and feel good about, instead of hopping from one job to another on a whim because you don't get along with people.

3. Don't go to HR
This guy gets it.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
I once had a job like this where right off the bat I hated it. I lasted 7 months before quitting w/o a job lined up. Best decision I've ever made. Can't make the call in your case, but I typically don't advocate for staying anywhere that makes you miserable.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:06 PM

472 posts, read 437,793 times
I'm in the same situation. Only been there a little over two weeks and can already tell it's not for me, unless wanting to cry because I'm miserable is normal. The job itself is whatever but it's really the culture that I hate. I feel invisible unless someone is pointing out how I screwed up, only then does anyone say anything to me.

To give an example, where I work is a State Government agency and we work in queues as people send in claims. Well, since I'm new I am only in a few queues where the work is easier until I theoretically get trained on more stuff. The queues I'm in tend to clear out quickly, leaving me with little to do so when something does pop up, I jump on it and do it right away. Well, I've been getting in trouble for doing that as someone who is the same queue and has been there for 20 years went to the supervisor and complained that I wasn't leaving anything for anyone else. Hello, she's been there a long time. She should have other work she could do. If I leave some for her, it leaves me with nothing and makes my productivity look bad.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Put on your big girl pants and suck it up. You should work somewhere a year before you have earned the right to really complain. Since you've only been there two months, you have yet to earn anything.

You need to figure out if you truly hate it, or just can't handle the new stresses in your life.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Don't complain. If things aren't working out, complaining won't help.

Also, it's my general rule that I shouldn't complain on a job about ANYTHING until I've been there at least 3 mos. It takes at least that long to learn the lay of the land.

Keep looking for another job. Eventually you'll find one.

Trust your instincts. If you hate it now, you'll hate it later. Unless the people you work with leave and are replaced. That would change things.

Be aware that if you hate it, chances are that they don't think you're working out. That may be part of it. ALL of you know it's not working out.

If you're young, consider moving to a big city. There are a lot more jobs in a big city.

Try to leave on good terms. Since you have to stay there a while, it'll go on your resume, and they'll be called for a reference.

Put your happy face on and do what you are being paid to do. That's the main thing. It's really not necessary that you be happy there. As long as they PAY you, and you do what they are paying you for.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 PM

251 posts, read 203,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena27 View Post
Hi,

So I have been at my new job a little over a month and I absolutely hate it. Maybe not so much my responsibilities but the company culture and colleagues. It's extremely rigid and I feel like I'm in prison. I took this job with high hopes. The pay was very good for a secretarial job. But the money isn't worth my happiness. I dread everyday I have to go to work. I have tried to wait it out and look for the positive. But other then the money - there are no positives. I work with a woman I can't stand. She has somewhat trained me and I say somewhat because she has pretty much left me to fend for myself. When I ask questions she acts annoyed. She's passive aggressive and condescending. My manager is completely unapproachable and if I did complain about this woman it would only make it worse. I just want out at this point. I'm married and my husband says now isn't a good time financially to quit without another job lined up. I'm in the Midwest and have been applying for another job, even though it's slim pickings.

I have never been so miserable.
I get it.

Sometimes the gap between research and interview, and then interview and hire, seems almost immeasurable.

It's not to soon to look for another job while you still have one, and if you're willing to do contract work, the better contract houses offer similar benefits to full-time employers. The big difference is generally health care costs, but I noticed myself that after the ACA passed, my options were better and costs did come down some. Still more expensive than employer-subsidized, but at least I wasn't stuck without any options--and the pay premium for contract work was as good as a promotion.

If your work environment is making you sick, and even making a few friends over the next few weeks won't help, take a look at what's on offer with recruiters. Quite a few of the national ones can put you to work in the same place you're in now. Almost all of them offer administrative roles, and if you have industry-specific knowledge, that helps too.

The other interesting thing that's been happening in "secretarial" work is that very good project managers come from the secretarial pool; the other growth path is hospitality/marketing. Your skills are tranferable--and those fields can pay better. You can try out salary.com to get compensation ranges based on your location, education, experience, and a few other variables, and the reports are free.

Good luck!

((Hug))

Last edited by gelofogo; 03-28-2016 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: adding help and comfort

Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Look for a new job... don't put this one on your resume.
Best of luck! Hang in there.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:10 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
The best answer to a job you hate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIjEauGiRLo

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
Look for a new job... don't put this one on your resume.
Best of luck! Hang in there.
Unless you find yourself doing this over and over again. Then the problem might be you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment