Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

My opinion: Ask now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Your posts and reasoning are throwing up a LOT of red flags, and I have seen people make the mistakes you are about to.

First off, using your commute as a reason to telecommute once per week is not a good idea. You knew what the commute was when you started the job. Making it an issue now is likely to irritate your boss.

Secondly, trying to work and take care of two children at the same time is a terrible idea. You will not get as much done as you would in the office, and your manager will notice.

You haven't mentioned what your company's telecommuting policy is. Have you asked HR? Looked in the employee handbook? I would do that before approaching your boss.

I would wait until you have been on the job at least one year before asking your boss about this. Asking for special accomodations 6 months after accepting the position is not a good look. What your co-worker is doing should have absolutely no bearing at all on your decision. If you think your boss would be annoyed by the request, is it a good idea?

Bottom line is you knew the demands, hours and location of the job when you accepted it less than a year ago. Deal with it or find a new job. I have seen a LOT of people fall into the entitled trap you describe and it has permanently damaged their careers. Tread lightly here.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM

424 posts, read 668,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Your posts and reasoning are throwing up a LOT of red flags, and I have seen people make the mistakes you are about to.

First off, using your commute as a reason to telecommute once per week is not a good idea. You knew what the commute was when you started the job. Making it an issue now is likely to irritate your boss.

Secondly, trying to work and take care of two children at the same time is a terrible idea. You will not get as much done as you would in the office, and your manager will notice.

You haven't mentioned what your company's telecommuting policy is. Have you asked HR? Looked in the employee handbook? I would do that before approaching your boss.

I would wait until you have been on the job at least one year before asking your boss about this. Asking for special accomodations 6 months after accepting the position is not a good look. What your co-worker is doing should have absolutely no bearing at all on your decision. If you think your boss would be annoyed by the request, is it a good idea?

Bottom line is you knew the demands, hours and location of the job when you accepted it less than a year ago. Deal with it or find a new job. I have seen a LOT of people fall into the entitled trap you describe and it has permanently damaged their careers. Tread lightly here.
The kids are in school; not at home.

My company has implemented a flexible schedule for various employees in different departments.

I have been given the opportunity to work at home on a few occasions (kid was sick; bad weather) and it went just fine; no complaints. So I don't think I'm making an unreasonable request.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
I'm an editor and work 40 hours in the office. I share an office with my boss and another (new!) coworker. I have been there for 6 months and my coworker, just over 3 months. There is another remote editor that has been with the company for a couple years (became remote after being at office for 9 months). 99% of my job is computer-based. I attend a meeting once a week. At my last "check-in" with my boss, she says that I'm doing great so far.

I am wanting to ask to work from home once a week (trying to better my work/life balance). I realize that I'm still new so I'm thinking of waiting until I've been there for 1 year. I have a problem with my plan: my new coworker has become THAT employee... the one who needs this day off bc blah blah; "can I leave early..." It's become apparent that she is very needy, very early in her employment here. She told me that she's planning to ask the boss to work from home 3 days a week for 2 months for family reasons. I'm pretty certain that she'll be denied and I'm worried that if I wait to ask after she does, my boss will be super annoyed and deny me too.

Should I ask before my coworker? Or still wait until my 1 year anniversary?

Also, our company is doing yearly performance reviews this week (they're super behind on this!) and mine is this week. They are requiring employees to write down a list of goals for the year: I'm thinking that this is a perfect chance to approach the subject. Perhaps write it down as a goal and discuss.

You have great advice from other people who answered.
"Present it in a way that shows benefits to the company and it will be received much better".

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
My opinion: Ask now.
I agree with this.

Also, I work from home 100% of the and 3/4 of my (16) people work from home as well. The other 4 work from home 2 days per week. Every single one of them just instant messaged me or called me or brought it up in their one on one "hey can I work from home?". I just tell them what they have to do to start working from home part time and if that goes well I send them home full time (if they so desire). There is certainly no formal "this is a goal of mine and here are the reasons why it benefits us both"

There is certainly nothing wrong with saying "hey mr/ms boss is it possible to work from home one day per week". They'll tell you if it is an option and what you need to do

Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 AM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
There are studies out there which seems they might work to your advantage, if you want to present backup.

For example, though I've temporarily lost the link, there's one that says that something like 70% of people who claimed when asked overtly, that they are not distracted by extraneous noise; when test results were done based upon concentration-span tasks, these people were in fact bothered and their productivity did go down based upon extraneous noise. May be findable in the footnotes here:

http://blogs.uoregon.edu/daltonlabor...007-t7dnhm.pdf

Good luck, I'm interested in this myself and hope you will update us as to how/if it works. (I mean, I do warn that to some extent I feel sure workplaces know this and don't give a hoot because it's still easier, read cheaper, to warehouse us like cattle in stanchions - I was just thinking aloud to myself how long it had been since I even had a cubicle with walls that went above my breastbone - but you might know better, if concrete research would be convincing to your supervisors.)

Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I also would not frame this as "work/life" balance as that gives the impression you would not be working while home ("life"). Come up with a good reason why it benefits you and benefits the company instead of the generic "work/life balance" statement. State that you'd like to work with fewer interruptions, log-in earlier without the commute, etc. etc. Present it in a way that shows benefits to the company and it will be received much better.
This

You want to take the position that you're more productive at home. You don't have the distraction of the chatty office mate. You aren't spending all those hours in the car every day commuting where you need to get to the office and coffee klatch to unwind from the drive.

I've been telecommuting for the last 7 years 2 or 3 time zones from the office. I've done it before in my career. When you telecommute, you need to actively manage your public face. You need to launch a few emails early before the normal start of the office business day. You need to launch a few emails after hours. Above all, you have to get your freakin' work done.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Definitely don't bring up the fact that you will be able to somehow fold laundry while checking email. That's quite an accomplishment though.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
I am wanting to ask to work from home once a week (trying to better my work/life balance).

As an employer, if I want you to work from home, I will ask you to do so.

Most productive individuals work 40 hours a week and manage their lives just fine. If you can't handle it, go part-time somewhere else.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post

Bingo!

You needing to do laundry is not my problem.

You took this job knowing the commute was an hour.

You taking care of your kids is a HELL NO.

Let me guess. You're a millennial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment