Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
I'd go to the interview but I'm not sure I'd mention that I'm currently employed.
They might not give you the job based on that, alone.
I wouldn't mention it either. I'd keep things hush-hush for now as some companies are hesitant to hire someone who recently just started a job. What if another company contacts the OP after three months with an even more enticing possibility? If I was a business owner and interviewed someone three months on the job, I'd probably pass on them as well due to fear they may do the exact same thing to me if something better came along so soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
First of all, this is an interview not a job offer, so keep things in perspective. Don't hype things up in your own mind until you have an offer letter in your hand.

Many people come to this forum and equate an interview with an offer. Two different things.

It seems like often someone will post a thread in this section practically ready to hand in their two week notice when they haven't interviewed yet. Interesting that we never hear back from these people as they pronlbably never got an offer. I'm just keeping it real.

So take it one step at a time. Go for interview first. Then WHEN you get an official offer letter, do serious thinking about what you want to do. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Good luck.
Exactly, I'm amazed when people jump the gun and think this means a job offer. Also the posters who give notice at their current job when they don't have a firm written offer with a salary and a start date.

OP, as others have said go to the interview, you said you recently started this current position. I guess you could call in sick or say you have a Dr's appt. It gets a little dicey when you're new. Maybe see if they can interview you in the early morning.

Suburban Guy is correct, the grass isn't always greener. Also this company that you interview with took a long time to contact you, you might interview and it gets dragged out for several more months.

Best of luck.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:59 PM

76 posts, read 125,357 times
Say: "I applied here and at *current job* at the same time. I took my current job, but I was far more interested in this position. I'd hate to leave my current job after only a few months, but I know this would be a great move for me."

Then, in the future, leave the current job completely off your resume so you won't have to explain the short duration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment