Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
I approached my female co-workers and asked them to ease up on the perfume as perfume smells irriates my asthma and makes it tough to breath and I have a doctors note. These co-workers are now making lies about me, because they resent me asking to limit their perfume. Should I confront personnel with doctors note and loose this job which I am not happy about anyway and go back on unemployment. There is no other room to put me

After speaking to these female co-workers about perfume they went to my my boss and complained to him that I had a gym smell and I was not washing my hands. When I showed my doctors note about perfume to my boss he said that maybe these female co-workers are using more perfume to hide my smell which is absurd.

Nobody co-workers-friends-family my spouse ever told me I had a gym smell unless I actually I went to the gym and exercised. I am an extremely clean person, use a deodrant powder per my doctor, always wash my hands, but not 15 times a day like they do. I cant wear mens colone due to my asthma and I am alergic to most underarm deodrants as it causes me skin exzima. Nobody in 20 yrs of working ever told me I smell
My daughter worked at a place where a person almost died from an allergy to perfume. Other employees were given an order to wear nothing beyond deodorant. This should be the rule in any work place. A lot of people are allergic to perfumes. I stopped wearing them when I realized this fact.

Anybody who wears perfume when they realize that it is making someone sick is not a very nice person. They should be fired!

The question is did you mention your allergy when you filled out your job application.

Sounds like the main problem where you work is an insensitive boss. Actually your boss sounds like a jerk. I would just look for another job. There are bosses who do not care to do their jobs and just run a social workplace. The only thing they care about is that the work force gets along and your boss has chosen their side over yours. It is time for OSHA. They will straighten that place out. The place you work has to display their number. Call it and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
I spoke to personnel today and gave the doctors note. The personsel said that this a predictment there is no place to put me and these proven workers cant just stop using perfume. Personel also said that did I not know that the people I am working wear perfume or was I not shown my seat when hired. I normanally do not ask when hired do people wear perfume next to where I am sitting.

Finally personnel will see what they can do. Is it legal to fire me after 2 weeks if I complained about perfume and have a doctors note and my work is good. I dont want to loose the job until find another, so should I say I will try to live with it for a while and take my asthma spray so as to diffuse the situation.

Hate to tell you but an employer can fire you for any reason, no reason, at any time.
Everything is up to the employer. If they told you to dye your hair pink and you didn't want to, they could fire you.
That's America, folks.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Hate to tell you but an employer can fire you for any reason, no reason, at any time.
Everything is up to the employer. If they told you to dye your hair pink and you didn't want to, they could fire you.
That's America, folks.
Hogwash.....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment