Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times

Advertisements

There is an old expression, "Are you stupid, or stoned"?

I don't know if it applies here, but....

You are a full time student. That is your current occupation.

You hear of a job...a sales job, which equals commission based...which requires more hours than there are in a week to earn even $25 or 30,000...for which you have no time.

Part of the requirement is that you need to drive, but you don't have a license...and you don't have a $25,000 car either. What part of that requirement is beyond your level of comprehension?

STOP being dumb. This "job" is NOT for you. It is a sales scam for someone who is desperate.

Stay in school. Clean some houses. Finish your education, and get a real job using your education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 AM

18 posts, read 12,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Based on your posts, it seems like your comfort zone must be very wide, but I still don't understand why anyone would advise you to do this just to "get out of your comfort zone."

Working while you are in school is smart and the best way to be sure you are working when you are OUT of school. But ... Working a full-time sales job while you are a full-time student is incredibly difficult and kind of self-sabotage if you don't need the money.

I can see why the career center might encourage you to interview for the experience itself, but to try to talk your way into a job when you don't meet the most basic requirements just seems ... Irrational.

Is there more to the "comfort zone" situation? Something your friends know about you that we don't? Something relevant that you're not including here?

Yes, I was surprised the Career Center still told me to go ahead and interview. By the way, this company did already look at my resume, so I think they can tell I am sophomore. I am surprised they replied back.

My friends just think I constantly seek and look for safety - jobs like administrative assistant, etc...They told me this would really help me push myself and of course, the money would be great at my age.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissabee21 View Post
They told me this would really help me push myself and of course, the money would be great at my age.
I'll just say it ... you aren't ready for it.

There's nothing wrong with looking for safety. It's smart. Frankly it sounds like you're pushing yourself just fine: a full courseload and any kind of job are good at your age.

College, as a whole, is supposed to be a learning experience. Part of that is developing "street smarts" and intuition in addition to book smarts. So while the employer apparently thinks you may qualify on paper for this job, your street smarts should tell you that there's something fishy about the job itself.

Just say thank you to your friends and to the career center and move on. Learn how to hear your friends' advice but not necessarily dwell on it. It's not always right.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
Quote:
Yes, I was surprised the Career Center still told me to go ahead and interview. By the way, this company did already look at my resume, so I think they can tell I am sophomore. I am surprised they replied back.

My friends just think I constantly seek and look for safety - jobs like administrative assistant, etc...They told me this would really help me push myself and of course, the money would be great at my age.

I'm not surprised they called back. Sales jobs have notoriously high turnover. They are literally wanting warm bodies. And with (likely) paying only commissions, it only behooves them to get as many salespeople they can. Do your friends have sales jobs? Why is it that they are trying to get you to "push yourself?" Are you shy? Soft- spoken? Socially awkward? I have news for you--- if you are any of those things, you will not succeed in sales. Go rent the movie Glengarry Glen Ross.

You should always take 'advice' from anonymous internet people with a grain of salt..... but there are so many of us on here throwing up a red flag at this supposed 'opportunity,' that it should make you take pause. You seem to come back defending this job after several posters trying to dissuade you.

I have over a decade of sales experience, and I was darn good at it, but I would NEVER suggest a college underclassman divert their time and energy towards sales while attending school. Your college career center has done a disservice to you by suggesting something wholly inappropriate for you to even consider.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:

one opportunity came up and I sent my resume. It’s a full-time sales position, so I am very scared to take it. It also requires having “your own transportationâ€. I don’t have a car and I can’t even drive.

Why would you waste someone's time like that? Not cool.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I definitely don't want to work on campus. I don't want to work just to earn money. My sister owns a cleaning company and told me I could work for her as many hours I want a week (even just 4 hours) to help my income. Yet, I didn't take it because whatever I decide to do I want it to be something I can put on my resume and will be career related.

Beggars can't be choosers.

You elected not to learn to drive and your options are limited. You can't go relying on others for a ride to work where you want. So until you get your driver's license, you have no choice but to work where you can.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Beggars can't be choosers.

You elected not to learn to drive and your options are limited. You can't go relying on others for a ride to work where you want. So until you get your driver's license, you have no choice but to work where you can.
I just didn't get my license because I couldn't really afford a car, so I thought...what's the point? But I do see it was a mistake thinking that way. I've always relied on public transportation, Uber and friends commuting close so I never saw a need to get it NOW. But at least this was a good wake up call to push me to get it.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:29 AM

730 posts, read 1,657,558 times
Quote:
Well, because all of my friends are pushing me to get it, saying I need to get out of my comfort zone and push myself. I am not gonna do it just because they tell me so, but of course I have to consider if they're right.

Your friends are probably your age and don't know any better than you do. (I'm being kind here).

Listen to the other responder's here - your education is your job, the job offer is a scam, you don't have a drivers license or a car. Get your degree, get a license and a car and get a good job.

Try to find a mentor that you like and trust and work with this person to gain perspective.

BTW - you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing - getting an education and earning a few bucks to pay (all or part of) your own way. Kudos to you! Keep up the good work!

Good luck to you

Old 04-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Your friends are probably your age and don't know any better than you do. (I'm being kind here).

Listen to the other responder's here - your education is your job, the job offer is a scam, you don't have a drivers license or a car. Get your degree, get a license and a car and get a good job.

Try to find a mentor that you like and trust and work with this person to gain perspective.

BTW - you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing - getting an education and earning a few bucks to pay (all or part of) your own way. Kudos to you! Keep up the good work!

Good luck to you
Haha, actually one of the friends who told me to take it is 40 years old. She has her own business and has been very successful. :P The Career Center at my university also told me to take it. BUT I agree with you. Thank you for the encouragement. It seemed like a huge risk to take this job and I am glad to see I was right.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
b. The freelancing job pays very little, BUT it is something that gives me security. It is also a growing company, and I know if they grow I do too. Should I continue to look for jobs to replace the one I lost and or just keep what I have now?
OK, NEVER apply for jobs which require you to have eprsonal transportation if that's a requirement.

That's all. So no, don;t waste their time if you can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment