Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times

Advertisements

Think like the wealthy. Think like an entrepreneur. Think like a business owner. Don't take the road everyone takes. Stop being a god damn sheep. Open your mind and go beyond the mentality of a job. Be the Boss. And take Marketing and Business courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 AM

973 posts, read 915,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
...My advice would be to look for something nobody else knows about. They're out there.
This. Although it's hard to research or look for things that are obscure and not at the forefront. You probably wouldn't know it unless someone in the field tells you about it or if you fall into it blindly. Find a career that very little people know about, yet is needed everywhere. Less competition and stronger job security.

Something that matches the theme of what a few of the posters have said could be in the field of occupational health and safety. It's not a glamorous field, but it's universally needed. It's not hard on the body and it pays relatively well. Jobs such as a safety engineer, ergonomist, or an industrial hygienist.

-my 2c

Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My dad would say do not go into a field that will kill your body. He has been doing physical labor since he was a teenager. His body is completely shot. I think he was trying to make it to sixty-two, but he might have to go out on disability before that. He has other health conditions as well, including one or two that resulted in a rejection from being hired by the city. He tried.
Yes, that is another factor in electrical work or other construction. The work has taken a toll on my knees, back, hands and shoulders. When I started my business, I had hoped to get enough work to hire a couple of younger guys to do most of the physical work while I scouted, priced work, and planned projects. I would still work as needed. Turned out, I could not keep enough steady work to hire anyone full time. I had to hire as needed, as available from time to time.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,213 times
It wasn't always this bad in the USA, 30 years ago jobs were plentiful
and one person/salary could support a family. But foolish spending, bailouts and corruption
have guaranteed your future is bleak. The main stream media wants you to
believe the economy is great, but they are liars. Now two incomes can only support two people
and average incomes are falling. The jobs available are not good and the outlook is even worse.
WELCOME to 2016!

Most 2016 college grads will not find good jobs but most will have accumulated significant debt.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:34 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
It wasn't always this bad in the USA, 30 years ago jobs were plentiful
and one person/salary could support a family. But foolish spending, bailouts and corruption
have guaranteed your future is bleak. The main stream media wants you to
believe the economy is great, but they are liars. Now two incomes can only support two people
and average incomes are falling. The jobs available are not good and the outlook is even worse.
WELCOME to 2016!

Most 2016 college grads will not find good jobs but most will have accumulated significant debt.
There was a report out recently that grads where prostituting themselves to pay off their college degree. Might as well not go to school in the first place if it eventually leads to prostituting oneself. LMFAO.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM

186 posts, read 427,543 times
I would say, don't buy into the whole college-work-retire thing. College used to be a good investment, but not so much anymore unless you go into a high-paying field like finance, etc. Law would be another case, but you also have to love it, and it doesn't guarantee financial success. Everyone assumes you need to work a job for 30+ years with great benefits and retirement package, but for what? you sacrifice 2/3 of your waking hours for a company so that you can finally retire and do nothing. I would encourage working according to the desired lifestyle, so that retirement is irrelevant.

I would encourage entrepreneurship at an early age, while also encouraging the avoidance of debt, or any other "burden". I would encourage self-education, experience, and working with older folks who "do" things like farming, woodworking, building, mechanical, etc. Im still amazed at how my dad just seems to know how to do everything. When something goes wrong at my house (and I mean anything), he knows exactly what happened, why and how to fix it...and also has the tools for the job. He never had a college education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment