Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:58 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

One of the many reasons we avoid traditional medicine.

I would think that with a doctor's note, this would not be an issue. How horrible to have to work where you will get sick and not have sufficient sick leave to cover it. I would think it would be more difficult for a younger person that has not yet been exposed to so many ills.

I would be looking elsewhere for a job and starting as soon as I was well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I would think that with a doctor's note, this would not be an issue. How horrible to have to work where you will get sick and not have sufficient sick leave to cover it. I would think it would be more difficult for a younger person that has not yet been exposed to so many ills.

I don't know about you, but I can't afford a $50 copayment for an office visit for a note saying I'm throwing up, not to mention the abysmal chance that my doctor (A) has a same day appointment available (B) wants to waste it on someone looking for a 'sick excuse' note, and (C) I want to sit in my doctor's waiting room for several hours while I'm sick waiting for him to see me.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
This kind of policy is ridiculous. Anything that encourages people to come to work sick is ridiculous. I was in bed with the flu for over a week once. Any "real" semi-serious illness is going to require a few days off. Do you have a separate bank of vacation time that they have you take? Bottom line, you shouldn't work within 24 hours of having a fever or having vomiting or diarrhea. How they make you code your time is just a detail.

ETA, what I mean is, call in sick. If they tell you you can'take another sick day, ask what your options are, because you're too sick to work.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 04-10-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Does alternative medicine really not get you sick as much as traditional medication? I mean don't some bacteria or viral survive medication regardless and become immune? I was rather sick as a child and never had alternative medicine as an option (bad allergies) but now I am actually rather healthy due to limited allergens in AZ. I only really get sick twice a year besides change of weather but I can work through that.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This means your sick policy sucks. Most people are sick for more than a day at a time.
Right - if you're sick enough to actually take off work (more than just a cold or a headache) there's a good chance you'll need another day to fully recover.

But, the OP can take two days in a row (not three) and then has to wait 90 days before taking another or that exceeds the limit.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Right - if you're sick enough to actually take off work (more than just a cold or a headache) there's a good chance you'll need another day to fully recover.

But, the OP can take two days in a row (not three) and then has to wait 90 days before taking another or that exceeds the limit.
I don't have this silly policy, I just have in reality get about 4 sick days, 6 personal days per year. I used two for working elsewhere (existing commitments) and have another one for Hell day for my brother's wedding (tux pick-up, showing family around, rehersal, rehersal dinner, etc.)

Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 AM

87 posts, read 183,579 times
Just go to work sick! Spread it around to all the HR people that come up with these policies. This is just another case of
the people that are the backbone of this country being taken advantage of. Our corporate people could take a week off
WITH pay....we hourly people had to use our vacation any time we got sick. I remember having to go into the hospital and then using all my vacation since we never got paid for any sickness, no matter what.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
I would say to read your employee handbook.

I've never heard of such a thing as a rolling 90 day period. It comes out to 8 days a year. If you get 8 paid sick days a year, then that's better than a lot of other private companies.

But I don't see how they can enforce such a rule if someone has an ongoing medical condition that might require them to take more than two days off. If you have cancer and going through chemo, it might take more than two day every 90 days to recover.

What do they do when someone has a child?

What do they do when someone has the flu and they need more than 2 days off?

Imposing a two day limit seems arbitrary to me. Two days before requiring a doctor's note, maybe. Two paid days in a row and the rest LWOP, okay.

What if you don't use your two days? Can they be rolled into the next quarter? Year? Can you use vacation time after two days to avoid losing pay?

Not enough information given by the OP to give a solid opinion.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcollectingdust View Post
Just go to work sick! Spread it around to all the HR people that come up with these policies. This is just another case of
the people that are the backbone of this country being taken advantage of. Our corporate people could take a week off
WITH pay....we hourly people had to use our vacation any time we got sick. I remember having to go into the hospital and then using all my vacation since we never got paid for any sickness, no matter what.
Yet so many here always side with the Company!! So glad I'm in Australia now, where employees enjoy 4 weeks pto, and don't have to worry about "at-will" BS. WHY do good American workers have to put up with such BS from Corporate America?? Look even at CD-most in the W&E forum worship at the altar of the corporate overlords -why?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That policy must be a great way to create business. Sick kids make employees sick, employees are required to go to work sick, sick employees make other kids sick. The circle of life, for germs.
Seriously, I wouldn't take my kid to any sort of pediatric center that doesn't provide enough sick days to it's employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment