Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 6,241 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to explain my self to my superiors to get a second chance or at least a lesser "sentence". I still feel I was royally screwed over and unfairly terminated, at least without an investigation or look into of the evidence. Especially after I was a hard-working, kind, dedicated, volunteer EMT for my local ambulance company of my hometown of over five years. In August 2015, I was 18 and I began to talk to a girl (whom we had mutual interest) also in the the department who was 16. We simply engaged in deeply, very racy text messages for months and there was mutual interest and neither of us showed or expressed discomfort, unhappiness, or disinterest of any sort. No pictures or psychical contact ever was exchanged/occurred. In person, on and off the "job", we just acted nice. Nothing flirty. If anything she commonly said "hey bestie" or "I miss my best friend". We, for no reason, just began to talk less as 2016 began and I noticed in February she had zero interest in me. It was clear. So I stopped texting her. Didn't ask why, just respected that fact. One night in March, I get a call from our boss upset and tells me I'm terminated for sexual harassment, the same day I found out she told the bosses about this. I've been told she's does this to other men. Doesn't seem like any investigation. I had no intent ever to make her feel "uncomfortable", if I did, and when I did, I stopped. But she reciprocated those texts. I am good person and want a second chance. How should I word and form my appeal? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM

17 posts, read 14,363 times
You started working for the Ambulance company when you were 14 ?

What?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinhotwater View Post
You started working for the Ambulance company when you were 14 ?

What?
15 and that was as a junior member in training, I'm now older than 18 as well. not really the point though dude.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemayan View Post
Especially after I was a hard-working, kind, dedicated, volunteer EMT for my local ambulance company of my hometown of over five years. In August 2015, I was 18 and I began to talk to a girl (whom we had mutual interest) also in the the department who was 16.

You were an EMT at age 13?
You are sexting a minor at 18?

I would terminate you also.
Totally unprofessional.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You were an EMT at age 13?
You are sexting a minor at 18?

I would terminate you also.
Totally unprofessional.
More along the lines of looking for help, not pointing out my errors. I phrased that wrong I see. I became a junior member of the dept. at 13 and trained for years until the state allowed me to get my EMT license at 18.

And technically she is a minor, yes, but i was only a year from being a minor too. It's not like I was 46. I was 18. It was two years.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:

And technically she is a minor, yes, but i was only a year from being a minor too. It's not like I was 46. I was 18. It was two years.
Ummm, not just technically but every which way.
I'm not sure what advice you are asking for. You did inappropriate things on the job and this is the consequence. Learn from it and move on.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 PM

17 posts, read 14,363 times
Quote:
More along the lines of looking for help, not pointing out my errors. I phrased that wrong I see. I became a junior member of the dept. at 13 and trained for years until the state allowed me to get my EMT license at 18.

This whole story is so bizare, but yes, you were 18, she was 16 when you were sexting, no matter what the age of consent in your state, if I was your employer, I would have booted you out the door immediately.
That can open them up to all sorts of litigation.

Hell, before my plant went union, I once fired a guy for taking a 35 minute bathroom break, in your case, I would have personally ejected you from the premises, youre lucky you have not been prosecuted.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Why are you asking us on a forum how to word your appeal?

Shouldn't you go to a professional experienced in these sort of legal matters?

It's not like something you type out on your own on Microsoft Word and e-mail it to your former managers, right?

Being fired for sexual harassment certainly doesn't look good at all when looking for future employment.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:28 PM

469 posts, read 398,350 times
Quote:
In August 2015, I was 18 and I began to talk to a girl (whom we had mutual interest) also in the the department who was 16. We simply engaged in deeply, very racy text messages for months...

...we just acted nice. Nothing flirty.
First of all, get your story straight. And forget about it. You are not getting your job back.

And never, never engage in anything like this behavior again at your job, or with anyone associated with your job.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:06 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
I'm trying to explain my self to my superiors to get a second chance or at least a lesser "sentence". I still feel I was royally screwed over and unfairly terminated, at least without an investigation or look into of the evidence. Especially after I was a hard-working, kind, dedicated, volunteer EMT for my local ambulance company of my hometown of over five years. In August 2015, I was 18 and I began to talk to a girl (whom we had mutual interest) also in the the department who was 16. We simply engaged in deeply, very racy text messages for months and there was mutual interest and neither of us showed or expressed discomfort, unhappiness, or disinterest of any sort. No pictures or psychical contact ever was exchanged/occurred. In person, on and off the "job", we just acted nice. Nothing flirty. If anything she commonly said "hey bestie" or "I miss my best friend". We, for no reason, just began to talk less as 2016 began and I noticed in February she had zero interest in me. It was clear. So I stopped texting her. Didn't ask why, just respected that fact. One night in March, I get a call from our boss upset and tells me I'm terminated for sexual harassment, the same day I found out she told the bosses about this. I've been told she's does this to other men. Doesn't seem like any investigation. I had no intent ever to make her feel "uncomfortable", if I did, and when I did, I stopped. But she reciprocated those texts. I am good person and want a second chance. How should I word and form my appeal? Thanks.

I know how you feel being accused of something and not given a "fair trial". Your boss did not handle this correctly. He/she should have brought you into their office and asked your side of the story before handing out judgement even if she had provided him with evidence. Do you still have her sexts on your phone?

Arrange a meeting with your boss face to face and show him/her the evidence on YOUR phone. If nothing else it might show some culpability on her part.

It is a hard lesson, nick.
This is just one of the things you have had to learn the hard way and there will be many more in your life, sorry to say, that could/will be even more difficult.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment