Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,998,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa33441 View Post
Good grief this place is hostile.

I actually did, im not trying to twist anything, I was just posting asking for opinions on how to proceed, not whatever youre trying to accuse me of.
I haven't seen anyone accusing you of anything. You haven't given enough info for anyone to advise you of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:34 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,196,885 times
I get the sense this thread is a bunch of

However, I'd just take the old bird out to lunch and say "Those of us with jobs need to get back to the office. Woah, don't get up so fast there Sally..."

Old 04-13-2016, 03:57 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,783,232 times
Tell her the reason she is being let go. Let her file unlawful termination law suit. Then when you get fired, file another unlawful termination lawsuit as a whistleblower

Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,517,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Is that REALLY what they told you? "Fire her because she's old!"..........really???? I have a very hard time believing that. But if that is true it scream age discrimination and they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit that any good lawyer would be drooling to take on.
I believe it because it happened to my Mom. They told her she was getting too old and her health insurance premium cost them too much. She was 60.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 12,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I haven't seen anyone accusing you of anything. You haven't given enough info for anyone to advise you of anything.
No? Not the poster who elegantly said " troll " or the person who just posted a picture of dung.

I regret posting anything, I was expecting a conversation with working adults, silly me.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,397,321 times
If you go into a crowded building and shout a question to everyone in listening distance do you honestly think no one will respond negatively? This forum is available to anyone with an internet connection. Don't get so upset so quickly.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 PM

146 posts, read 212,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you go into a crowded building and shout a question to everyone in listening distance do you honestly think no one will respond negatively? This forum is available to anyone with an internet connection. Don't get so upset so quickly.
While I see your point, I see hers also.
Every thread posted in this forum is met with its fair share of hostile/needlessly rude posts from posters who get away with it because of who they know/befriended. Just an observation.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,635,793 times
OP since you are a first time poster such a far fetched story is unfortunately met with skepticism. That said, you don't know the entire story. Did you say during the discussion you are perplexed since she has glowing reviews? The 'other reasons' could be real. In your shoes I would want to know exactly why I was being told to let someone go.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa33441 View Post
So I have a long time report who I get along with very well. She is a fantastic worker, a great person, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I have been instructed to make separate her from employment with the company.

This came as a total shock to me, since she gets glowing reviews, she has been with the company over 35 years, and is one of the best people on my staff. When I probed my superiors for a little more information into their decision to terminate her employment, they told me it was because she was getting " long in the tooth. "

I know this is completely unethical, I am personally very hurt by this, because she does not deserve this, but I can not go against the current here and lose my job, I am a single working mother and need this job.

So Im torn, do I anonymously let the employee know, even though I have no proof, or do I just terminate her as told too and put this poor woman in financial harm?

In 1984, I was working in a hospital in Virginia and was ordered to fire one of my employees by the hospital administrator. When I asked why, the reply was "I hate that n*****." That was my last week on the job. I worked for a third party contractor and I told them the situation and told them to move me or I would resign. I was at another hospital the next week.

At some point, you have to determine if ethical behavior is an abstract principle or if it really means something to you.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,135,697 times
Do your job (or lose it) and ask her if she has any idea why. Then you might want to have a "friend" ..not you...tell her to write everything down she can think of and give her the name of a good attorney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment