Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:51 AM

471 posts, read 437,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringprofession View Post
Thats a good question. I think you are very correct on the drifting through life and tired of it part. I have been low energy and just bored, but when I was on vacation 8 months ago I had that same exciting energy again that I had in college. I don't know. I can't be the only one going through this right? I am sure alot of the young adults probably go through this?
Currently in similar situation. I too live at home and work a full time job. I do pay a little rent of $350/month which covers everything (food, utilities, etc). Like you, I find life really dull and wonder, if this is all there is, why keep going? It sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:05 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringprofession View Post
thats how i wanna make money was that from stock investments?

Your dream of making lots of money is increasingly far off.

I am LITERALLY a dog walker. All day every day 365 if I chose.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 16,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
OP, I'm not going to read the whole thread to see if this has been mentioned. But you are in a great position due to your flexibility. You are young, have no debt, fully funded room and board and a flexible job which pays you an OK starting amount. You have a couple of options:

• If you feel you must go back to school (I am in agreement with the others that this may be a waste of time and resources at this point), then get hired on full-time and let your employer fund the training.
  • Since you have flexibility with your shifts, batch them all together (maybe at night) and go find a different job in another field you are interested in. Don't worry about the money at first, just see if it is work you like. At your age and level of entanglements, you should be working many different jobs to see what sticks.
  • Find a sales job. Great way to make money and have the "rush" of having to close a deal, especially if you have your other $17/hr job from which to earn some spending money.
You feel like going back to school is a waste of time? How come? just curious. Initially I went with science for healthcare field thinking of Physician Assistant or Physical Therapist. One of my friends got into podiatry school and is now in 250k plus in debt, another friend got into med school with 300k in debt thats like 7 or 8 years of their life. What are your thoughts on that route?

Old 04-18-2016, 01:20 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Slow down there buddy.Forgot the part where I am taking 18 hours a semester in college. I obviously don't earn much above min wage extremely part time, and while my partner makes above the 12.50, its not much above. Of course once she can actually get hired in the field which she has a masters for, this won't be an issue. I was simply saying you have all these people with 1k-1.4k a month mortgages, two $500+ car payments, and their other crap they buy. From my math it takes around 90-120k gross to afford those luxuries, especially since they aren't seeing but 70% of that income.
You wrote asking how people could afford $200K houses. I showed that a married couple with $50K combined income can comfortably swing that. Mortgage, taxes, and insurance with PMI on a low down payment FHA loan shouldn't be a problem. Their housing costs will be about 28% of their gross income. That's two people with $12.50/hour jobs.

Somebody with $50K combined household income and a mortgage on a $200K home isn't going to have two $500 car payments.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:56 PM

259 posts, read 268,158 times
There are exceptions to almost everything, but in general, an education is one of the best investments you can make. Some majors are more applicable than others, sure, but those without any degree whatsoever broadly speaking have limited options and earnings potential. Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment The economy is different from where it was before.

It's not to say that those without a college degree are doomed to being poor. Sales, for one, can be one well-paying route as mentioned before. But there aren't a lot of options initially for those without a degree. And in many cases, there are so many job applicants that business use having a college degree to filter the competition.

Everything requires work to excel. "Hustle" is a word that comes up a lot in this thread because it's necessary. I'm not a Kobe fan, but I respect his work ethic despite the obvious talent. Jamal Crawford adds to the list of legendary Kobe Bryant practice stories | For The Win

People who take on massive loads of debt for an education need to do their research and be aware of their own abilities; Will there be a demand for the work that I'm being prepped for? How well will I be prepped? Will I graduate doing what I'm in school for? Is school necessary or will getting some work experience suffice for now? What are the long-term prospects and threats to my job later? It's a global economy -- The person analyzing x-rays does not have to be in the hospital or the same continent even. Those who don't have a realistic big-picture view often don't wind up in a better place later on.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/bu...-at-trial.html

Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Currently in similar situation. I too live at home and work a full time job. I do pay a little rent of $350/month which covers everything (food, utilities, etc). Like you, I find life really dull and wonder, if this is all there is, why keep going? It sucks.

You find it dull because you lack the drive and motivation to succeed further. If you want to know what most of us feel like, move out and fully support yourself. When you are having trouble rubbing two pennies together you'll find that motivation to do more. The more you accomplish, the more gratification you will begin to feel. Then you'll become hungry to do better.

You need to set some goals. Then focus on working towards those. They change over the years.

Our goals were originally to get started in a career that we liked, and make money. Once we worked our way towards that it was to have kids. Then it moved on to enjoying more time with our kids and going on vacations together, which meant we needed to earn more money. Our goals shifted to progressing in the company to earn more. Now our goals have aligned to saving money for retirement, owning a larger home that better fits our needs, and enjoying time off of work. We work hard so that we have the ability to play harder.

If you want to do more than just exist, you have to make the decision to become more.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:41 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So it sounds like you know nothing, don't have any passion for anything but want to make lots of money. To me your best chance is to go into direct sales. Sales jobs aren't necessarily hard to get and and you could get motivated by getting your first commission, then get hungry for more. Your main motivation is money, so go where the money is. Sales can pay considerably more than many other jobs in the same organization that may require advanced degrees, lots of specialized knowledge, and various skills and abilities.

Back to school? Good luck with that, you would likely be the same chill, bored person you are now only with more dept.
Actually not a bad idea. Check into pharmaceutical sales. If you work at a hospital, you probably already know some pharma reps. Talk to them about getting into the field. But just be forewarned; it's basically a beauty contest. But having a science degree and knowing someone in the field does help somewhat.

It's not as easy and lucrative as it used to be, but they still make good money and a lot still get company cars. And you spend half your day going out to lunch and fancy dinners.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
More than one person here has said that $17 an hour with an easy schedule is a lot of money. Seriously? If $17 an hour is $34,000 a year for full time work, and the OP is not working full time, then he is earning less than $34,000 (possibly much less) and can't "invest in a business or property" except maybe a food truck. Perspective, folks.
The OP said s/he works by the hour and can work AS MUCH AS S/HE WANTS. Therefore, he could be making MORE than $34,000/yr. Add to that, no rent payment and s/he is probably still on Mom's or Dad's health insurance. So in most places, s/he could live on $20,000/yr. or less. Socking away more than $15,000 a year would get anyone a serious leg up on the future.

The OP could indeed invest in stocks or buy property for cash. I bought my first two houses for $40,000 each and fixed them up. So OP can buy a house for cash with three years of savings, fix it up and RENT IT if he still can leech off the parents. They there's another revenue stream beyond the boring job. Then get a nicer house to live in. With a job and a rental property a mortgage would be forthcoming.

The problem here isn't a lack of opportunity. The problem is ennui and a lack of imagination.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM

529 posts, read 507,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
no problem, many people who went on to do great things went through the exact same thing you are going through. i didn't really get going until 28, i spent years after college as a slacker in the gen x years.. the flipside is i saw many of my peers go down the beaten path in formulated lifestyle and resent it now. when i was given an opportunity to something very interesting, i went 100% full investment in mind and soul. just be patient, but be on the lookout, do an inventory of what kind of person you are and what things motivate you. pursue those things, when those things are presented to you, pursue it like a stalker. you just haven't found it yet.
Good advice. The only problem is when you do indeed find that something, pursue it like a stalker, and ultimately fail to gain any results. By results I do not just mean financial, but also a total lack of success in even getting your stuff out there. What am I talking about you may ask? Well, I am of course talking about the good old do or die "field" of being a novelist. Sink or swim. I swam in the shallow end until I drowned. Now I hate the water. Maybe I'm afraid of the water. Maybe I can't find the resolve to swim, but either way I know something inside me died. Now, unfortunately, I need to find another reason to do water sports. Fortunately, I have found something to cling onto...but I'm a weak willed person. I pursue anything I do hard. Maybe too hard. But if something doesn't give eventually, I spiral into a broken human who wants only to go to the grave.

As for Op, I'd like to be making the money you are...and choosing my own schedule. I'd work 40-50 hours, but I'd choose the hours...wow.

My Advice, think of water you like to do. Try it while keeping your job. If it helps you get through working, great. If not, hold onto that job and look into changing to somethng you find worth wild. Maybe child care, although you would be making peanuts.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM

471 posts, read 437,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You find it dull because you lack the drive and motivation to succeed further.
How can you assume that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment