Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 02:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,327,390 times

Advertisements

I work for a non profit agency that is federally funded. We have just been refunded. We have a director that oversees all aspects of the agency. We are also governed by a Board of Directors. We run pretty much on our own- we have two board meetings per year. The board usually never questions what we do, although they do have to approve the yearly budget as well as any raises.

Due to medical insurance increases over the past few years we haven't had raises. About 3 years ago we got a $250 raise per person. We all like our jobs- it is a good place to work. I was promoted last year to management due to the former manager retiring. I knew money was tight, but I took the position anyways and received a $3500 raise.

The new budget for next year was presented to the board. I was suppose to get a $13K raise which puts me in line with similar managers in the state. It was not approved. A 3% raise per year was approved by the board. I sort of understand that- I was hoping but.... Even though I am management, all of my employees make more than me because they have been employees for 10+ years more than me (before I started- raises were handed out much more freely).

The board did a funding band this year- (range of salaries for the positions). What I am really upset about is I have 2 employees that have been employeed for over 18 years- they are wonderful employees- our clients love them- they are superior employees. Due to this funding band, these 2 employees are over the top of the salary band and we have been instructed by the board to reduce their salaries. One employee salary would be reduced by $7K and another by $9K. They both make under $55K per year.

The director refuses to discuss/argue this with the board. She has no leadership ability (that's another story). Do these 2 employees have any recourse. They are going to be devestated-hurt- etc. It will be their choice to quit, but this is so wrong, especially since we do have the money and this doesn't need to happen.
Our agency is small- we don't have a human resource dept. The director is human resources. She is very weak- it isn't standard procedure for me to contact the board- everything goes thru the director.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 02:16 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
If there is a pattern of sex or age discrimination there may be grounds for a complaint to Federal or State agencies. Otherwise employees should vote with their feet.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Recourse with what? It's a non-profit run by a board. The decision has been made. They will have to find other jobs. It sucks but no one is doing anything illegal.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:36 PM

7,153 posts, read 9,256,289 times
Welcome to the wonderful world of management.

They make the decision for you and you get to deliver the bad news. And you cannot badmouth your bosses.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of management.

They make the decision for you and you get to deliver the bad news. And you cannot badmouth your bosses.
It's more like the wonderful world of "life." Crap happens.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,580,857 times
Too bad your workplace does not have a union. Then the couldn't get away with this kind of thing.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:12 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,234,425 times
The board doesn't seem to value skilled, experienced employees. The real question is, knowing that, why wound anyone want to keep working there? What does the board think will happen? Or maybe they know what will happen and are counting on it so they can hire cheaper employees after everyone quits.

If the employees are worth more than the board is willing to pay them, and if they want to be compensated fairly, they are going to have to leave and go to work for an organization that will pay them in accordance with the value of their skills and experience and the value they add to the organization.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Too bad your workplace does not have a union. Then the couldn't get away with this kind of thing.
Unions are like strangulation for both the workers and management. All the alleged protection comes at the price of limited income growth and accepted mediocrity.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:29 PM

809 posts, read 1,327,390 times
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Charlygal- I asked because I didn't know if it was legal or not- I personally have never met anyone that this has happened to.

The girl that will lose $7K will be extremely hard to replace. She has kept her department afloat for the past 4 years. I personally know she is offered a job every few weeks. Once the word gets out she is looking she will have no problem finding a job at a significant higher salary. She stays in this job because she likes the mission of our agency and she likes our benefits, some of which will be hard to replace even if the salary is higher. Money is not the most important thing for her- the decrease in salary won't make a difference in her life, but feeling so devalued will have a significant impact.

Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2016, 07:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Lots of posters here who obviously have never employed people or worked in a position where this type of decision is made.

Age discrimination? Unions???

The most obvious solution is that they could restructure the compensation categories. Someone who has put in almost 20 years shouldn't be penalized because they hit the top level of their pay grade and the board doesn't know how to handle it.

There also are options for restructuring the medical insurance. In fact, it's pretty nice and lucky that y'all even get insurance, but there are ways to still provide benefits without being forced to accept annual increases.

Sounds like you need a better CFO there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment