Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM

404 posts, read 366,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleycotton View Post
I've made up my mind. I'm going to give 2 weeks notice. She asked me how many more reports I need to work on and I said 3-4 more. She then started screaming at me saying IS IT 3 OR 4???
Tell her 3 1/2 lol, she will really enjoy that haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default That was quick...

Quote:
I've made up my mind. I'm going to give 2 weeks notice. She asked me how many more reports I need to work on and I said 3-4 more. She then started screaming at me saying IS IT 3 OR 4???
I am willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, but I am also having a hard to getting my head around a five word phrase being yelled so loud as to push a normal office worker over the edge...

How loud could this possible have been? I mean if this was like "HEAR IT ACROSS THE OFFICE LOUD" I would think that such a scene would be noticed by higher ups?

The OP has not answered critical details about how this job fits with their background / preparation -- I mean I have been in situations where there are things with VERY important deadlines and if these "reports" have implication that will have financial / regulatory requirements that would snowball it is completely reasonable for the manager to expect an exact answer to a rather straightforward question. Hemming and hawing that maybe there are 3 reports still to or maybe 4 might be an indication that the OP does not understand the level of thoroughness expected.

OTOH if these 'reports' are more along the of the TPS reports from Office Space, some bureaucratic busy work that exists merely to give layers of do nothing workers an excuse to justify their existence, live and learn ... Office Space (1999) - Quotes - IMDb

Old 04-25-2016, 02:54 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
When you have a job like that the best thing you can do is disengage yourself. Just stop caring. Just show up put forth some honest effort and just don't care about anything, your manager can scream all she likes just ignore her and continue and don't pay attention to it, don't have any emotional investment in the job. If she tries to force unreasonable hours on you refuse and tell her you did not agree to that when you accepted the offer. She can fire you and then collect unemployment.
MSChemist is spot on. Companies simply try to make an employee's life miserable in the hopes of seeing them quit as opposed to firing them outright and dishing out unemployment benefits. I like dealing with companies who are cheap like that because I know as long as I continue to show up, I'll always have a job until I end it on my terms.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
You are making a bad/emotional decision. Job searching while unemployed is 10X harder. You also won't get unemployment. She may well be trying to "manage you out" ie make you so miserable that you quit and you are letting her win. The better option would be as I suggested just do your job and ignore her and her tirades. Just treat her like a barking dog while putting full effort into your job search. The only thing more soul crushing than dealing with a bad job is being unemployed and dealing with the crap people put you through on your job search.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Try to stick it out. Look at it this way:

If you leave, it'll look bad on your resume. And you'll have to confess at your interview that you weren't enough of an adult to tough it out.

See if there's any way you can turn this into a learning opportunity. Sometimes you end up with horrible people at work. Practice different ways for how to deal with it. For instance, you could practice asking her please to stop yelling. You could ask her if she'd like you to confirm everything in writing (email) beforehand. You could talk to the HR department to ask about transferring.

In fact, I can't help but wonder what would happen if you said, "No, I won't close the door. I have nothing to be ashamed of."

Old 04-25-2016, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 6,888 times
I've given my two weeks notice. Manager acted surprised after mentioning some of the instances that were the turning point of my decision.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The only thing more soul crushing than dealing with a bad job is being unemployed and dealing with the crap people put you through on your job search.
Agreed. The interviewing process these days is a pain and things are only going to get worse.

Being jerked around by employers while you have a job feels a bit better than being jerked around by them without any job at all.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I graduated from college last year and started working at my company in December 2015. My workload for the past few months have been overwhelming and my manager has been very hostile. She's been very condescending in the past few weeks and nitpicks every single thing I do. She makes me close the door and starts shouting at me asking why I do certain thing.

I've been looking for a job, but nothing has materialized yet, but the more I spend my time in this office, the more hell-ish it gets. Last week, she made me stay until 9pm on multiple nights, and it's making me well-up. I understand that you should not quit without a job lined up, but I can survive for 6+ months with the money I've saved up. I've never imagined quitting without a job lined up, but I'm at a point where I'll be happy just to quit.

Am I in the right to quite in your opinion?

Thank you.
Welcome to the real world.

Bad idea...you should read up on employment law. It might be better to get fired because depending on the law you might be eligible for unemployment, although that presents its own problems.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
Quote:
She makes me close the door
Damn, femnazis these days. I'd pack up and move to Canada immediately.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Started work in Dec 2015 and "for the past few months my workload has been overwhelming"?? This is the end of April...so for 3 of the 5 months you have worked at this initial job the workload has been more than you can handle??

What are other workers doing?
Are you the only new hire?
What type of training did you have before being given a full work load?
Is this a small, medium, large company / dept?
How new is your boss to this job or company?
Are the other workers in your dept treated the same way by your boss?
Who is your boss's manager? How often do you or others in your dept make contact?

Something about this just doesn't seem kosher...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment