Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times

Advertisements

I worked at a place like this. The people did barely any work. The lady I shared an office with would go weeks without doing a lick of work. She wanted to sit and chat with me all day, and got offended when I wouldn't.

I decided I was just going to be polite and then go about my business, and it was not my problem if she was offended because I didn't want to spend all day talking.

I volunteered for extra assignments and researched stuff to keep myself busy.

Eventually I brokered a deal to work at home 4 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Decembergirl... just a thought:

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Our society is doomed. We can't even discuss interesting people. What names have been in the media the most this week? Donald Trump and Becky with the Good Hair.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
In the office I work in, people can discuss their trip to Walmart for an hour at a time. A back and forth about who put what on facebook can go on forever. Its beyond annoying. It's horrifying. I think it is a curse to worry about this stuff though. I have often wondered if my life would be happier if simple things like this did not make me so annoyed? They obliviously chirp on about the most inane things, and I sit there wanting to deafen myself with a pencil. Who is the loser here lol

Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
i am generally a private, and introspective person, and like you.. believe the workplace should be a serious, professional environment. however, workplace has evolved over the past decades into what you describe above and more and more, your ability to chit chat becomes part of your sociability score as related to your work peers, and judged as such by others.

i don't like to do it, but i do chit chat because it is something that is now part of the job, and it is a skill that can be developed.. you can be pleasant and share some things, without going overboard. but staying reticent will draw alot of unnecessary attention to you. yeah i know, it sucks.

these people you work with they're not your friends, they're just bodies there to do work. that's how i look upon them for the most part. i got close to 1 other employee who shares the same thinking, and so when these endless chit chats begin in our office, he and i start laughing hysterically because we have special private nicknames for everyone based on their personalities and the special code words. at first, they thought we were enjoying the convo.. it stopped after a month tho, we got reported to HR, a few finally got a clue and thought we were making fun of them. still, whenever i engage in one of their dumb conversations, i can't stop thinking how ludicrous they are and really have to force myself from cracking up.
You feel alienated and left out, so you belittle everyone else for not including you. You need a coaching session on how to be more sociable.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:11 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OMG... If a superviser told me to "be more social" I'd be looking for another job and maybe filing a discrimination lawsuit.
Sounds to me you may someday get that opportunity. Hope your new job ends up being better than the one you have.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I love my job. I also really like the people I work with.

We chat about many things...our children, our pets, current events, issues at work and how to solve them, etc. I am also friends with several of the people I work with. We do social things together - not happy hour (none of us are really drinkers, outside of a glass of wine with dinner or something) - but things like art shows, sporting events, concerts, etc.

It's been this way for almost 20 years.

I love my job.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:57 AM

505 posts, read 765,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Usually places with a ton of small talk do not function very well and have all sorts of internal issues and long term end up going down the tubes (i.e.: Closing or massive layoffs) Its inevitable. Business with customers gets lost to other places, the places end up losing money etc.

Its a management issue but generally the managers are involved with all this "soft skill, small talk" crap themselves.
This has been my experience too. If the environment is so slow paced that people have time to just chat all day long, the company doesn't have enough work to go around. That never ends well.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 AM

505 posts, read 765,275 times
The best way to avoid being drawn into long off topic discussions is to be busy. If people see you are working hard they will be less likely to bother you and will be less offended if you don't join in.

Of course, it's important to be at least somewhat sociable at work. People are inherently social creatures. On a more practical level, people are going to be more willing to help you when you need it if they know you a bit as a person. There's nothing wrong with a short "how was your weekend" or "do you have any plans for..." or "where did you get that... I really like it" chat.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Sounds to me you may someday get that opportunity. Hope your new job ends up being better than the one you have.
Since I'm on the verge of retirement, I doubt if I'll be looking for a new one. But thanks!

Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM

346 posts, read 550,895 times
I actually got a negative feedback on my recent annual review because of my lack of "soft social skills" in the office. Apparently, it's not acceptable to keep my mouth shut and not joke around all the time. So I don't do inside jokes, doesn't mean it's because I hate everyone. In fact, forcing me to join in on the chit chat IS making me hate everyone. Go figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment