Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Even if you think you're settled for life, don't burn any bridge. You never know if you might need that bridge again in the future.

About 8 months ago, a sub sent this guy to work in my office. Very good at what he does. In fact, he was so good, I extended an offer to him if he ever wanted a full time position at our company, which paid a heck of a lot more. We're also like a million times bigger than his company. He was excited for the opportunity. So, I spoke with the hiring manager and the hiring manager agreed with me that that guy was good at what he does.

All of a sudden, he got another job offer elsewhere. When we shook hands on the last day before he started his new job elsewhere, I again told him if he ever needed a job just call me.

Earlier this week, I got that phone call. It didn't work out with the other company. He got let go. So, I called the hiring manager and asked him if he remembered (insert name here). The hiring manager exploded into the phone and said he would never consider him. Ever. He also told me that guy burned all his bridges before he left. I had previously heard that the guy didn't know how to properly conduct proper office politics, but I had no idea it was so severe.

After I spoke with the hiring manager, I called the guy up and asked him what the hell did you do to make the hiring manager so mad almost a year later? After a little cat and mouse game, he finally admitted that the day he left, he sent out a group email to several people basically telling them to suck it.

For goodness sake, people, even if you think you will never need the bridges ever again, don't burn all your bridges on your way out.
Wow, that's really bad. I've had things not end so well in the past (in ways that I could have potentially improved the outcome), but I wouldn't even think to do something like what this guy did. Not even exaggerating. It wouldn't even enter my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why do I always feel like I'm reading Aesop's Fables when you post things?
Same thought came to my mind as well.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 AM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
About a year ago, I took over as an administrative assistant for the repair shop of a local trucking company. The lady whom I replaced had been there for 20 years, but she was ready to move on and moved out of state. In the end she was a bitter and resentful woman who basically did everything but extend her middle finger to the company on her way out the door. She made no secret of her anger toward this employer. Of course she had to train me, so as you would guess...her training was very sloppy [snip] and she left out VITAL and important steps to do the job properly.

I ended up having to turn to the people in our front office, from time to time for assistance, and had to email the company who's software we use for more training. I eventually learned my way around and even implemented new systems in order to run things properly.

I discovered about a month after the other woman left, that she used the companies account to purchase auto parts for her personal vehicle...and left.

The company actually sent her to a collection agency to recover the theft.

So basically, this woman wasted 20 years of her life on this company that will NEVER hire her again if she was to become jobless.

No matter how angry and entitled you feel....there is no reason to be rude and steal from a company that employed you for 20 years. Especially in this economy with massive layoffs affecting many people.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 05-01-2016 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: attempting to bypass language filter

Old 04-30-2016, 11:40 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Same thought came to my mind as well.
LOL I had no idea I have such a loyal following.

Care to share what part of my OP is questionable?

Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I'm just glad I pressed the ignore button...

Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I disagree.
Some people retire and never will have another job.
They can burn all they want.
The market might go down 50% or 75%. Never is a long time.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 AM

138 posts, read 154,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
LOL I had no idea I have such a loyal following.

Care to share what part of my OP is questionable?
The "job offer" piece I pointed out earlier - just too many inconsistencies in your statements about hiring practices.

The amount of information that you've supposedly been privy to. I.e. the FNG admitting that he sent an email, etc.

The fact that you'd still stick your name on him as a reference, despite all of that.

That it's another "holier than thou" pile of hogwash from you.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 AM

[quote=Kion;43896826]The "job offer" piece I pointed out earlier - just too many inconsistencies in your statements about hiring practices. [quote]
Told you. It was poor choice of words. It wasn't an outright job offer. It was more of an offer to refer him. I've referred 3 people before and all 3 got the job.

Quote:
The amount of information that you've supposedly been privy to. I.e. the FNG admitting that he sent an email, etc.

The fact that you'd still stick your name on him as a reference, despite all of that.

That it's another "holier than thou" pile of hogwash from you.
Holier than thou? What part of it was holier than thou? I like the guy. He happens to be a very good documentation guy. He also happens to be too frank with his words at times.

You think referring people for a job because I think they are good for the job is holier than thou? Would it surprise you to know that people refer people for positions all the time?

Did I butt hurt you some time in the past and now you're just following me around and nitpicking my words?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:12 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
I agree that 'burning bridges' can come back to haunt a person.

Here's a great event that still has me smiling: this one manager was the boss from he$$ and made many enemies. Down the road he eventually lost his job. He went looking for work and when he entered an office to be interviewed, guess who the interviewer was? Yep! It was one of his former employees he'd raked over the coals numerous times.

The louse looked at his former employee and said, "Well, I guess there's no point in me interviewing for this job."

The former employee didn't have to say one word, just sat there an smiled. Of course the interviewer knew ahead of time who was going to walk through the door.

So managers. . . don't burn your bridges either.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree that 'burning bridges' can come back to haunt a person.

Here's a great event that still has me smiling: this one manager was the boss from he$$ and made many enemies. Down the road he eventually lost his job. He went looking for work and when he entered an office to be interviewed, guess who the interviewer was? Yep! It was one of his former employees he'd raked over the coals numerous times.

The louse looked at his former employee and said, "Well, I guess there's no point in me interviewing for this job."

The former employee didn't have to say one word, just sat there an smiled. Of course the interviewer knew ahead of time who was going to walk through the door.

So managers. . . don't burn your bridges either.
In my industry, after you've worked long enough you will eventually run into the same people over and over. I would imagine that it's the same more or less in other industries as well.

This is why I'm nice to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment