Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,242,927 times

Advertisements

simple. managers are not hired to be an expert in the product or service. they are hired to manage people reach their objectives and project deadlines. for instance, i've seen IT managers know very little compared to the programmers/engineers. usually, there is a liasion employee who reports between the managers and the engineers and summarizes things in layman terms. also, the primary goals of the company and decisions are not made by middle managers, they are made by the board and head of strategy, along with CEO who are the ones who run the company, ie a bill gates or steve jobs. middle management are just high paid babysitters with mba's and/or management work experience. i see managers from coca cola joining microsoft for that very reason.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 05-01-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,420,981 times
Because it's a lot easier and faster to teach someone who's already a good manager about the product than it is to teach someone who already knows the product how to manage.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,271,569 times
Because they know how to "manage"....they've got YOU who knows the product! God forbid they find someone with BOTH kinds of knowledge. Sometimes it's almost a matter of pride...managers don't want to get their hands dirty being being too much "in the weeds".

Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM

7,955 posts, read 4,946,214 times
This is why businesses FAIL and why everything has gone downhill in america. This type of idiotic mentality of "Manager's just need to know how to manage people. They are allowed to be a deer in headlights with everything that goes on underneath them. And don't have to solve problems" . What good is Management if they don't know JACK ALL about the operation, product, or solving issues? etc.

It also creates nothing but resentment in the workforce and is a major cause of high turnover and talent leaving companies . Why?? Because people are working for numbskulls who have no damn clue on what is going on beneath them while everyone has to make an attempt to learn the product, solve the issues, trouble shoot. Things that should really be MANAGEMENT'S JOB!!! But instead of the managers are just sitting on their useless butts, forwarding e-mails out to me to get things one, (When the workers have already received notifications on what needs to be done directly. I can't tell you how many times Ive seen issues brough to management in the hope that some resolution gets accomplished and fixed and the manager's have NO ANSWERS for you.

Which goes back to my prior point. Why do you need to paying a bunch of idiots to sit on their rear ends with no knowledge and just forward e-mails on to people? You don't need to waste of expense of that.

Businesses don't need layers and layers of management doing nothing.

Nothing will make a business fail faster than INCOMPETENT leadership.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 PM

76 posts, read 124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
This is why businesses FAIL and why everything has gone downhill in america. This type of idiotic mentality of "Manager's just need to know how to manage people. They are allowed to be a deer in headlights with everything that goes on underneath them. And don't have to solve problems" . What good is Management if they don't know JACK ALL about the operation, product, or solving issues? etc.
Don't get me wrong, there are some terrible managers out there. But a good manager does not need to know the technical aspects of a job. They should be able to pick up the basics simply by observation, but the employees are the experts.

The flip side to all these complaints are the manager who are the technical experts. I've had bosses who know the product or process in-and-out, and they were nothing but micro-managers.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 AM

45,094 posts, read 60,173,613 times
Many years ago I went from a management job in manufacturing to one in transportation, specifically a railroad. I didn't know the first thing about railroads but what I did know was purchasing and inventory control ( I guess that may be today's Supply Chain Management).

I was hired for my expertise in that, not for any knowledge I had (or didn't have) about rail operations.

After I became a teacher (after a stop in the Navy where I was offered a billet in Supply after failing a couple flight physicals) I applied for a Purchasing job with the school system. I was deemed over qualified for it. Shortly after the head of that department (he had interviewed me and was who told me I was over qualified) was charged with embezzlement. He had set up some shell companies to which he directed payments.

I always believed he thought I would have caught the embezzlement and was the reason I didn't get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment