Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:30 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

So your former commander said some negative things about you. Were they true? Your new job let you go because you were not doing a good job. Was that true? If you answered yes to these questions, you need to address why you are under performing. Until that is is resolved, you will never keep a job. Three months is not that long. It shouldn't hold you back from finding a job. But address any underlying issues to make sure you don't find yourself in he same situation again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Do you still have your G.I Bill?

Enrolling in a few courses may be a good option.

I know that the G.I. Bill does provide a small monthly stipend while you are taking classes.

May be a good idea to enroll in a few classes while you are looking for work.

Much more productive than just applying for jobs and doing interviews.

I would check asap with one of your local universities Veterans Assistance Departments.

What state are you in right now?

Old 05-01-2016, 12:47 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
I feel you, and I have never been in he military. Small gaps like three months are okay, if you need an excuse, say you were traveling. There and done.

Also apply to korean jobs, and let your references know you are using them as reference. And don't take just a job from any shady character, would you sell drugs for a drug dealer or work for a pimp? I thought so.

Be smart about it. People who erred in the military should be able to
find jobs easy and get support.

Don't enroll in classes for no reason and avoid for profit schools that *will screw you over.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Sucks, but everyone goes through (multiple) layoffs in their life. Nothing you can do but pick yourself up and continue looking. You will eventually land something!
Certainly true in the engineering field. Perhaps law and accounting are more steady, as is teaching. The Feds offer great security, but not State or City government.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I re-read my post and I do feel that I did not present it in the right way.

Basically, he was convicted of a felony last year. The felony was fraud where he basically milked the government out of a lot of money (at least hundreds of thousands, if not millions) in a situation that could have hurt many people. It was in the same field that he is currently working in. Also, in the short time that I was working there, I saw things that made me think that the fraud was still going on in some form.

So this isn't a guy that was convicted of something 10+ years ago and is having difficulty finding a job in something completely unrelated.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with giving felons a second chance. My brother was convicted of a felony for a bar fight he got into when he just turned 21. So I certainly understand the plight of people with these kinds of convictions. It's ridiculous that they have difficulty getting a second chance.

Again, my apologies for not making clear the nature of his crime in my OP.
Your post is fine and it is okay to rant. There will always be people who just want to throw stones, no matter the situation.

I hope you can figure out a way to get past this. You all need to work together as a family and try and keep each others spirits up. Nobody says it will be easy but, if you stuck it through your military time, you can make it through this.

Good luck !

Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Just a general observation ...

Believe in yourself, and don't let unfair circumstances and misfortunes devastate you.

Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and keep looking.

I have experienced hard times myself and when I was laid off back in 2008 just as the Great Recession hit I seriously wondered if I would ever find a job again. It took me nearly a year, but I turned my life around.

My suggestion is seek out all agencies, employment counselors, and support from your family and friends. Don't suffer in silence.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
I hope things improve for you, I got laid off once, and I remember receiving that pink slip and reading it was like a punch in the gut, and even though I was re-employed within days by the same facility, I never forgot that feeling of panic.I literally had nightmares about being homeless. I also have several siblings that at various times in their lives have been un or under employed, like others have said , hang in there, tough times don't last , tough people do, in my case I went on to set up my own business over 10 years ago, and while it has always been a struggle, at least I never had to deal with a pink slip again. Another suggestion is, always , always, get a friend to pose as a potential employer and request a reference, as you have found out , people are funny, you might think you have a great relationship with your co-workers and supervisors when the opposite is true. The only other thing is, if your commander had a problem and you were fired from the other job, try and find out what exactly the issue was, and if it's something you could correct, good luck, keep your head up,and just know that things will get better
I know for sure that my other references are good. I've heard multiple times that they give good references.

The thing is neither told me that there was an issue. With this current job, how could a person be properly evaluated in 10 days of work?

It's difficult to go into details without revealing my profession, but I'm starting to believe that this guy only intended to employ me for a short time. I've been talking to others in my profession. I gave them the entire story, from early contact to the firing and it's agreed that this guy is probably still engaging in illegal activity and that I dodged a bullet by being fired.

Again, I can't speak for my commander, but everyone else at that job (including my previous commander) gave me glowing references. Not sure what the deal is with that. Obviously, he had some issues with me that were never discussed.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Your post is fine and it is okay to rant. There will always be people who just want to throw stones, no matter the situation.

I hope you can figure out a way to get past this. You all need to work together as a family and try and keep each others spirits up. Nobody says it will be easy but, if you stuck it through your military time, you can make it through this.

Good luck !
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Just a general observation ...

Believe in yourself, and don't let unfair circumstances and misfortunes devastate you.

Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and keep looking.

I have experienced hard times myself and when I was laid off back in 2008 just as the Great Recession hit I seriously wondered if I would ever find a job again. It took me nearly a year, but I turned my life around.

My suggestion is seek out all agencies, employment counselors, and support from your family and friends. Don't suffer in silence.
Thanks!

Yes, I've been getting a lot of support at home. Also, I spent 3 hours talking to one of my co-workers (and great friends) from my old military base. That was very nice. Also, there's a forum out there that includes only people in my profession. I posted anonymously on there and they have been VERY supportive and have given me some great advice.

I'm also sending out job applications and have an appointment at the VA next week.

Onward!

Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I feel you, and I have never been in he military. Small gaps like three months are okay, if you need an excuse, say you were traveling. There and done.

Also apply to korean jobs, and let your references know you are using them as reference. And don't take just a job from any shady character, would you sell drugs for a drug dealer or work for a pimp? I thought so.

Be smart about it. People who erred in the military should be able to
find jobs easy and get support.

Don't enroll in classes for no reason and avoid for profit schools that *will screw you over.
Agreed. I shouldn't have taken this job in the first place. There were red flags from the beginning that I chose to ignore. Ultimately, after thinking about this for a while, I realized that it could have been much worse, since I do believe that he's still doing illegal things (another tidbit I left out: there is a mass exodus in his office right now, multiple managers leaving, including one that has been with him for many years.....that guy is actually National Guard and is lying to him about getting to deployed just to get out of there....must be a reason for that).

I am setting up an interview with a government agency. Basically, I will have a top secret clearance if selected. I talked to a friend yesterday that also has a top secret clearance and he informed me that they will find out about everything so I will have to be honest. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. Maybe they could find out some information for me from my commander and this boss and let me know what I need to improve upon professionally!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:40 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Personally I don't feel for you. You are very judgmental. A convicted felon gave you a chance so what? These days its hard to be a felon and get a job, so they gave you chance, it didn't work out because of things that you did and your response is to complain about it instead of learning from it. Personally, I think they did good by giving you the boot.

Totally not surprised with the way this turned out. It has been my experience that anytime someone "researches someone" its because they themselves have problems.

The one who is judgemental is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment