Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 AM

838 posts, read 564,864 times

Advertisements

So i've been self-employed for awhile now and i thought it would be a good idea to get out there again and begin applying for new entry level positions within different fields just to have some change for once.
I've noticed how it has become sort of a trend for employers/companies to request a CV with your photograph on it, Now i don't have any problems with this however it seems as a base for discrimination to me.

I mean think about it, We already know how superficial everyone is specially within an corporate environment. Whats not to say that the person in-charge of doing the hiring isn't going to discriminate against your looks etc.

Does this seem fair to you guys? What do you guys think of employers following this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Whats not to say that the person in-charge of doing the hiring isn't going to discriminate against your looks etc.
Of course they will. The only thing is, can you actually prove it?

Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Of course they will. The only thing is, can you actually prove it?
That's my point, It's nearly impossible to prove discrimination due to this.
Which is why i believe this shouldn't be allowed, Aren't there some privacy laws that we have? I shouldn't be obligated to send them pictures in order to qualify for an interview or employment.

Just as landlords aren't allowed to ask tenants for a drug screen, Same should be applied to this matter.
Feels borderline illegal to me.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
That's my point, It's nearly impossible to prove discrimination due to this.
Which is why i believe this shouldn't be allowed, Aren't there some privacy laws that we have? I shouldn't be obligated to send them pictures in order to qualify for an interview or employment.

Just as landlords aren't allowed to ask tenants for a drug screen, Same should be applied to this matter.
Feels borderline illegal to me.
Its usually for jobs dealing with the public in service jobs for the most part. It's a bit unsettling because photographs sent can be misused also, Like a by a scammer or a catfish. Unless it's for a modeling contract it seems weird.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:38 AM

203 posts, read 327,373 times
What's the difference between rejecting someone based on their looks when they come in for an interview versus rejecting them up front based on looks? Neither is illegal. Yes it's unfortunate and not how things would work in an ideal and fair process but that's reality. I agree that it sounds a bit strange, so maybe you just don't apply for jobs with that requirement? If you really want the job you give them what they ask for. If they don't hire you just because you're ugly then it's probably not a good place to work anyway. Maybe they are just trying to weed out people with crazy piercings and facial tattoos? Not saying it's right but it's not illegal.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Only time I have heard of employer requesting photo be sent with CV is when applying for overseas teaching positions.

Never in the United States. Sounds very sketchy.

Have had many potential employers view my LinkedIn profile.

Others have requested Skype/WebEx interviews.

99% sure it was specifically to see my photograph & what I looked like.

Discrimination is heavy in today's workplace.

Only thing that you can do is present yourself in a professional manner.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
What's the difference between rejecting someone based on their looks when they come in for an interview versus rejecting them up front based on looks? Neither is illegal. Yes it's unfortunate and not how things would work in an ideal and fair process but that's reality. I agree that it sounds a bit strange, so maybe you just don't apply for jobs with that requirement? If you really want the job you give them what they ask for. If they don't hire you just because you're ugly then it's probably not a good place to work anyway. Maybe they are just trying to weed out people with crazy piercings and facial tattoos? Not saying it's right but it's not illegal.
Difference is that many times during those interviews i've noticed that often enough they aren't conducted by the actual person whom chooses new employees, instead its an random employee that has been assigned to conduct the task or help out with the hiring process. From there the employee moves it up the ladder and ultimately the person in charge of hiring will decide based on the interviewers input about you, Therefore to me at-least the probability of discrimination seems much lower, since it isn't as if the interviewer will be telling the person who hires; how many wrinkles you had or how bald you were etc.

In that case it would just be strictly about professionalism and skill, As well as whether you've meet the qualifications for the job or not.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:15 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
So i've been self-employed for awhile now and i thought it would be a good idea to get out there again and begin applying for new entry level positions within different fields just to have some change for once.
I've noticed how it has become sort of a trend for employers/companies to request a CV with your photograph on it, Now i don't have any problems with this however it seems as a base for discrimination to me.

I mean think about it, We already know how superficial everyone is specially within an corporate environment. Whats not to say that the person in-charge of doing the hiring isn't going to discriminate against your looks etc.

Does this seem fair to you guys? What do you guys think of employers following this trend?

In my country it is against labor laws.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:24 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
You should report these jobs if you find them on sites like Indeed. They are generally sketchy and not considered quality.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:

Never had to include a photo, but got one for bldg access....And badge also..........If they didn't want me, I'd have never heard back from them after the interview...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment