Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times

Advertisements

I just quit my job at the Post office as a CCA ( city carrier assistant) last week. I wanted to do the job for one year and than leave. I made it one month. During my one month carrying the mail the supervisor made me work 3 7 day workweeks. After I got the notice I would be working a 7th day again I handed the boss my mail bag and signed my papers to quit.
He made it sound I was lucky to not work 8-10 days straight. My 2 requests to not work 7 days straight were ignored.

The post office seems to attract no one, there is a big shortage of letter carriers. Working people to death seems to be the norm at the USPS. I have worked at some stations where intimidation was the motivation tool. Going Postal is not joked around but I can see where it can happen, really I do.

Its a hard job, people think the mail man is having a grand old time walking delivering the mail. Little do they know how fit you have to be or are getting walking in the rain, heat, humid weather. You cuss at all the steps to the top of people's mailboxes. Some customers have mercy on the mailman by putting the box at the bottom of the house. Thanks for that.

I hated the job at the end, I could handle 5 days of it but at the 6th and 7th day I ended cussing very very often and wanting to throw the mail and people's lousy boxes. You know the ones where you have to bend your knees to reach. $#@@&^ I hated those, do they think of how hard it is on your back ??

So the next time you think the mailman is an easy job, just try it for one day or one week. It really is not an easy job whatsoever. Part of that is on the mgt there, no regard to how hard the job is or how much your body aches. Good riddance USPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:19 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
I'll take it over any corporate private sector job today outside an upper management position. They work you to death in corporate america today except your benefits suck even worse, your vacation sucks even worse, and there is no limit to the abuse that companies can do to you.

You also can retire at a reasonable time and collect a good pension.. Good luck with that in the private sector today.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Amazon and USPS are too companies that no one wants to be a part of. Really bad reps.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:26 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Im wondering if there any good companies left to truly work for today in the private sector. All the reviews I see with most of these places indicate terrible management in place and morale at its lowest. Even these fortunate 500 or 100 companies, I haven't seen many good reviews for any of them recently

Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Sounds like the job for me. I'm an introvert and I'd be perfectly happy doing something independent like that on my own. The stress of dealing with bad weather or long hours still doesn't seem as bad as having to put up with the politics and butt kissing of some office environment.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Okay,so getting good benefits and pay had its price for you. sounds like it was not a good fit.

My uncle and brother worked there way up thru the postal system. They retired with a full package deal.

So I can't say it's that way for everyone. Yes the carriers get reamed for timing, and misplaced mailings. you do indeed get my respect for the hours and lugging mail.

Would I gripe at good pay and excercise, probably not. but this is your post and your experience. Just be a bit kinder to the system itself. Some folks really do wish they had a job to go to and not the luxury to just quit.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Amazon and USPS are too companies that no one wants to be a part of. Really bad reps.
Would you grace us with the stats on this observation? I have personal experience in one of these places and am curious where your data came from to make such a statement?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Some threads

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...g-mailman.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/job-s...alifornia.html

Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 PM

Amazon- why not just park an ambulance outside the warehouse instead of putting in AC in the summer? Where white collar workers cry at their desks.
Read the NY Time article?
Lookup the Youtube clip, even a marathon runner had trouble doing the warehouse work there all for a buck or 1.50 more than min wage.

USPS- where half of all new carriers or more quit within a few months, setting off more carrier shortage. Pretty soon they will run out of workers to hire. ( must have clean background, driving, drug, and lastly the desire for an active job outdoors) Most don't or run out of motivation. It was not for me, at the interview no one said you will work every Sunday doing Amazon delivery or the job is 6 to 7 days a week no exception. 5 days a week if you're related to the Postmaster.

Where managers who have the intimidation factors are moved up. Its the ghetto where people who can't be managers in private corp end up.

What the heck kind of good job has drop out rates within a few months that high. Hey I admire those that stuck with it, mainly old timers. The few I talked to say it sucks now. Even my OTJ trainer told me on my day off look for another job. Great guy, he has been at it 22 years. Now he has a all day drive route.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:45 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I'll take it over any corporate private sector job today outside an upper management position. They work you to death in corporate america today except your benefits suck even worse, your vacation sucks even worse, and there is no limit to the abuse that companies can do to you.

You also can retire at a reasonable time and collect a good pension.. Good luck with that in the private sector today.
Actually this whole post is incorrect. Postal service changed retirement plans about 12 years ago and it is no where near as good as the prior one.

I knew a guy that quit after 10+ years and he said the job sucked! He said no matter how good you did today, there will still be a ton of mail tomorrow and it was monotony with no satisfaction. He said he got up to drinking a 12 pack a night just to put the pain away!

Think about it, is anyone ever happy at the post office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment