Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:14 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Federal law doesn't require it.
Right. It's left up to individual states. Texas, and most other states do not require employers to provide breaks for employees.

Most large companies are very generous about vacation and time off. But retail and service jobs are not. A friend works full time at a grocery store. He gets one week of vacation off per year, and has to schedule it months in advance. They work him for 8hr with only a 30min "lunch" break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Americans are brainwashed from birth to live for "the company". You owe the company. You live for them, you die for them.
Only later on in ones career do you realize the futility of such nonsense and wish you had a little of the life back you gave to people who don't care if you live or die. With SCOTUS/ALEC initiatives and Right to Work becoming big, Our feudalistic authoritarian overseers are moving us towards china or calcutta rather than a forward thinking country, so it's only going to get worse.
'Nother cuppa gruel please, sir?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Americans are brainwashed from birth to live for "the company". You owe the company. You live for them, you die for them.
Only later on in ones career do you realize the futility of such nonsense and wish you had a little of the life back you gave to people who don't care if you live or die. With SCOTUS/ALEC initiatives and Right to Work becoming big, Our feudalistic authoritarian overseers are moving us towards china or calcutta rather than a forward thinking country, so it's only going to get worse.
That, but also some people have the mentality that if you take time off to go on vacation, you are lazy. This mentality started a long time ago, probably around the same time the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality was thought up.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Right. It's left up to individual states. Texas, and most other states do not require employers to provide breaks for employees.

Most large companies are very generous about vacation and time off. But retail and service jobs are not. A friend works full time at a grocery store. He gets one week of vacation off per year, and has to schedule it months in advance. They work him for 8hr with only a 30min "lunch" break.

How much time off do you get as a teacher. Planning doesn't count.

Hey, check your DM, I have a question.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
I don't know that I agree with this......

I believe in the "bootstraps" mentality. It's how my wife and I got where we are. When we were in our early 20's and establishing a career, we didn't take vacations. We couldn't afford it.

At the same time now that we've worked hard and can afford it, we take one or two vacations per year. We get very generous leave, have plenty of sick time, can take breaks any time we need one (no one micromanages us at our companies), take as long of a lunch as we want, and work a flexible schedule. But when we are at work, it's time to work and we work hard. We rarely take lunch breaks or regular breaks because we are too busy.

I think what we get more than suffices for us. We work hard and play hard.

What's the issue? That you don't get an hour for lunch? Take your lunch to work if the company only provides for 30 minute lunches. That is more than ample time to eat. An 8 hour work day isn't that long realistically.

People want to blame it on the companies but if you don't like their policies, find another company. Don't just assume all companies are evil because their interpretation of what you need is different than yours. Someone in a physical labor role needs a longer lunch break than someone who pushes paper all day.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
A lunch period of 30 minutes always seemed unusually stingy and inadequate to me.

If you have to go out and get lunch, by the time you've bought it you basically have to come back to the office. No time to eat.

I wouldn't accept a job if they didn't offer an hour lunch break.

I bring my lunch and eat at my desk so that I don't take a lunch "break" so that I can leave earlier. Once I put in 8 hours I am gone.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How much time off do you get as a teacher. Planning doesn't count.

Hey, check your DM, I have a question.
Our district gives us 8 days off per year. We can use them for sick days, or really for anything. We get the usual school holidays off as well.

Teaching is great when it comes to days off. I'll miss the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I believe in the "bootstraps" mentality. It's how my wife and I got where we are. When we were in our early 20's and establishing a career, we didn't take vacations. We couldn't afford it.
I used to believe in the "bootstraps" mentality until I started teaching. When dad is nowhere to be found, and when mom is working 3 jobs to put food on the table and doesn't have time to care about your education, it's hard to succeed in life.

On the first day of school, I can pick out who is going places and who is not. It's sad.

Then again, you have my dad. Both of his parents died when he was very young. He grew up in an orphanage and joined the Navy when he turned 18. He made something out of himself. But then again, I'm sure the orphanage was more stable and provided better influences than some of my students' parents.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
If you are not "working", then what are you contributing to society?? We don't live for the "company". We live to be useful and not just another mouth to feed.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you are not "working", then what are you contributing to society?? We don't live for the "company". We live to be useful and not just another mouth to feed.
One day you will get it. I don't think that day is coming soon, though.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:22 AM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
Sounds like most factories I have worked in other than the good union shops. Most times you get a 10 min break and a half hour lunch while working a 12 hour day(typically 10 - 12 hr days in my field). It's hard to just up and leave a place for better benifits when the majority of companies have the same basic benifits along with expensive crappy no name insurance.($130/wk)

I have worked at shops on 70 hour weeks where the only day you get off is the national holidays. I have also worked in one shop that did not offer any breaks or lunch period. The biggest problem is the shops that do offer ok benifits dont want to pay what you are worth.

I gave up giveing a crap about shops long ago when I learned working hard and staying late got you no where and its always about who you know or if they happen to like you. When I need time off I tell them, I do not ask. If they are not paying me for that day off, then they do not get to decide if I can take it off. I just really don't care anymore, there are plenty of other jobs out there if they don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment