Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times

Advertisements

I sent a strongly worded, confidential email to a client. At the bottom of my emails is the standard disclaimer that "Information in this transmission is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain privileged and/or confidential information...."

Of course, no one reads this but basically I do not want my emails forwarded to anyone else. In any case, this email was sent to their attorney, and their attorney sent it to someone that was a competitor in my business.

Do I have any recourse? Can you forward any email you want, regardless if the sender has a disclaimer? And if so, what is the purpose of the disclaimer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
you used the disclaimer incorrectly, not sure how it is defined legally but they aren't "contracts" between you and other party.

you can't hold someone responsible for actions through a disclaimer, it is the opposite. if they act on what you said, you deny responsibility of their actions with the
disclaimer. IE, you say jumping off roofs is fun, disclaimer says getting injured is not your responsibility because acts of gravity is outside of your control

Old 05-04-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
you used the disclaimer incorrectly, not sure how it is defined legally but they aren't "contracts" between you and other party.

you can't hold someone responsible for actions through a disclaimer, it is the opposite. if they act on what you said, you deny responsibility of their actions with the
disclaimer. IE, you say jumping off roofs is fun, disclaimer says getting injured is not your responsibility because acts of gravity is outside of your control

Oh, I see. The disclaimer protect what you say, not their rights to do whatever that wish with your email. Thanks.

Is their anything that can be written to protect yourself if you don't want your emails distributed?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I am thinking that the attorney that forwarded the email to the competitor might have an understanding of the law. Maybe contact your clients or is it former clients attorney and ask if it is legal or not.

How do you know it was forwarded? Did they attach your information to the email?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:54 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
There isn't a huge amount of relevant case law out there but you may have a claim against your client's attorney. The client could of course forward it to their attorney but he or she should absolutely not have sent on to a third party, let alone your competitor.

You need to talk to an attorney.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There isn't a huge amount of relevant case law out there but you may have a claim against your client's attorney. The client could of course forward it to their attorney but he or she should absolutely not have sent on to a third party, let alone your competitor.

You need to talk to an attorney.
with an attorney involved, they might have turned it over to competitor if the email was used as evidence in a case involving them. not enough back story here to determine though

Old 05-04-2016, 12:14 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
If you didn't want your strongly worded email forwarded maybe it should have been a phone call

Old 05-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Without getting too specific, the client was demanding something that they didn't want to pay for- a proposal that I would have to produce that would take me a lot of time and cost me a couple of thousand $. I said I'd do it but they would need to pay for my time. Its common practice in my field as proposals aren't free. Its the equivalent of: take apart my engine to check my water pump, and while you're in there, here's a replacement water pump, can you just put that in and the labor is free since you had to take apart the engine anyway. They refused to pay and continued to demand when I knew they were going to use a competitor anyway.

So I wrote a strongly worded letter that absolutely, under no circumstances will I be giving them a free proposal. They sent it to their attorney, who sent it to a competitor and was in the email like "see what we have to deal with". He hit reply all and added the competitors email, without realizing that I was on it.

Just wanted some feedback on the legality of forwarding emails to others if your email is explicitly meant only for that one person.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Without getting too specific, the client was demanding something that they didn't want to pay for- a proposal that I would have to produce that would take me a lot of time and cost me a couple of thousand $. I said I'd do it but they would need to pay for my time. Its common practice in my field as proposals aren't free. Its the equivalent of: take apart my engine to check my water pump, and while you're in there, here's a replacement water pump, can you just put that in and the labor is free since you had to take apart the engine anyway. They refused to pay and continued to demand when I knew they were going to use a competitor anyway.

So I wrote a strongly worded letter that absolutely, under no circumstances will I be giving them a free proposal. They sent it to their attorney, who sent it to a competitor and was in the email like "see what we have to deal with". He hit reply all and added the competitors email, without realizing that I was on it.

Just wanted some feedback on the legality of forwarding emails to others if your email is explicitly meant only for that one person.
Never put anything in email you do not want forwarded. You want to control people and this is a control issue. You can't.

I love the person who stated that perhaps you should have called them instead of sending them an email, basically a memo, of the event.

I also believe you should have been polite.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Never put anything in email you do not want forwarded. You want to control people and this is a control issue. You can't.

I love the person who stated that perhaps you should have called them instead of sending them an email, basically a memo, of the event.

I also believe you should have been polite.
I never said I wasn't polite. By strongly worded I mean firm in my statements. Not looking to control anyone or anything either. I was just asking a question about the meaning of those disclaimers at the bottom of emails, and what the purpose of them are. Someone answered my question and now I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment