Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 01:39 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
I think only you can answer this question. Do you need this particular job or can you easily move to another one and still keep your head above financial water?
No, I could probably get a new caregiving job by next weekend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Gonna look up the caregiver laws in my state.

For a 24-hr shift (actually it was 48 hours for me - Sat. and Sunday) they have to pay you a certain rate for sleeping hours - like $8/hr, I believe...

then for "overtime" (because it was a 48-hr shift) they only paid me $13.50 total...this makes no sense. I had 5 hours of overtime....(they must deduct for "meal times" and not count that as hours worked..)

there are so many issues on my paystubs - YOU'RE Right - I should have contacted them immediately after my first paystub. I didn't contact them immediately because ...I moved to a new apartment 4/19 (actually just temporary apt...long story) and I was first paid on 4/20. So, I had a lot going on at the time...

I didn't contact them for about a week after my first paycheck.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:16 PM

I am looking up all of these minimum wage/caregiving laws and I am so confused...

According to this, I should just be paid for the 30 hours that I work per weekend (not the overnight hours)

Payroll Law for Overnight Shifts - myHomePay

Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 PM

I just learned a new term called "Wage Theft"

"http://georgetown.southseattle.edu/documents/LERC/LERC%20LargeBook%20English%20Complete.pdf

"Wage Theft
When your employer does not pay you the correct amount, it is called wage theft. Wage theft is a
problem in all industries, but most commonly affects low-wage workers. Wage theft is illegal.
Wage theft includes:
 Not paying you for all the hours you work.
 Not paying you your last paycheck after you leave a job.
 Not paying you overtime.
 Not giving you breaks and not paying you for missed breaks.
 Forcing you to work “off the clock.”
 Not paying minimum wage.
 Not paying you the amount you agreed upon.
 Not giving you all of the tips you earned, or requiring that you split them with management.Wage Theft
When your employer does not pay you the correct amount, it is called wage theft. Wage theft is a
problem in all industries, but most commonly affects low-wage workers. Wage theft is illegal.
Wage theft includes:
 Not paying you for all the hours you work.
 Not paying you your last paycheck after you leave a job.
 Not paying you overtime.
 Not giving you breaks and not paying you for missed breaks.
 Forcing you to work “off the clock.”
 Not paying minimum wage.
 Not paying you the amount you agreed upon.
 Not giving you all of the tips you earned, or requiring that you split them with managemen

Old 05-07-2016, 05:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Like others have said, call them and find out why your check is short. and as MPRetired pointed out is it taxes they are taking out so it seems short?

If it is the usual "government cut", then then all of this should be documented.

For example, somebody who makes $64K a year who gets paid biweekly would have his paycheck show up as a gross of $1,200. Knock off stuff like Social Security, and other government stuff... then if you have other deductions that you elected like health insurance, dental, vision, and 401K... it should list how much of each of those were deducted.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
what do I do if I don't get the wages? Take them to small claims court?
Your state wage and hour division should collect your back pay for you. Follow their instructions about whether to keep working or not.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:23 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your state wage and hour division should collect your back pay for you. Follow their instructions about whether to keep working or not.
Once it was turned over to the state I imagine it would be a very hostile working atmosphere. I would not want to keep working there.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:40 PM

From this website...https://www.caring.com/questions/how...e-in-caregiver

"Burn out happens a lot in healthcare, period, whether you are a CNA or RN, etc. The issues with live-in assignments (24 hr. care) is that they tend to be brutal. There is a REASON someone needs 24 hr. care--and it's rarely "companionship"--these tend to be end stage Dementia patients or the severely physically/mentally challenged, very ill people. I honestly don't think unless you have a CNA min. someone should take on those cases. The reason is you really do need to have a certain skill set, experience, and this takes time. Nursing home experience is best but can be a real shocker about reality for patient care and how some families operate. Still, at least you can have a better/"realistic" idea of what you're getting in to. Even all this being said, I'd still never do more than 3 24hr. live-ins in a row, period. I'd also charge a min. of $150 as someone else said. More depending on the situation and if it changes. Some Alzheimer's patients are up ALL NIGHT LONG. In those cases it's better to have 2 caregivers split a shift--for everyone's sanity and patient safety. You cannot care for others if you get sick and burned out yourself.

P.S. New laws will be implemented Jan. 1 2014 for basic rights for home care workers. Check out directcarealliance.org."

Old 05-08-2016, 01:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I am looking up all of these minimum wage/caregiving laws and I am so confused...

According to this, I should just be paid for the 30 hours that I work per weekend (not the overnight hours)

Payroll Law for Overnight Shifts - myHomePay
OP, you were already told by a few posters on here to contact the agency(this means making a phone call, not a text) and getting to the bottom of it.

Are you very young? Some younger people don't seem to know how to interact with people in person and on the phone these days.

As one poster said the minute I got the first check and it was short, I would have been on the phone.

What do you do? You look up information online, that's great, but that's not going to get you your money.

Call them tomorrow and have your check stubs in front of you and ask what the deal is.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:09 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
The message here is abundantly clear. Unless you know the person paying you really really well, and trust them, get anything and everything in writing. I understand that some people really want and need a job, and like everything else in life, there are those that take advantage of that.

I hope this situation gets resolved, because it sounds more like there were some shenanigans rather than an honest mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment