Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 AM

439 posts, read 513,675 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I started a weekend job - Saturday and Sunday. The agency is not paying me the amt. they told me. I've worked 4 weekends.

I just don't have a good feeling about it.

I've only received two paychecks. The first one was short a hundred or so, and this next paycheck more so...

The longer I work for them, waiting for them to "make it right" the more cheap labor they get..

It is a 48-hour caregiving job, for elderly people. I have another job Mon-Friday.

I'm not sure what to do, because I don't really want to "burn the bridges" with this agency...

Do they think that I have such low self-esteem that I will just keep working for them, with not the promised amt of wages?

Or do they think because I have a Mon-Friday job, that I can afford to work for them for cheaper wages?

What should I do?

If I go to work Saturday, and Sunday, they will just pay the same (less) than promised.

Should I say, "I won't return to work until you cut me a check." Pls advise.

addendum: when I told them about the first paycheck, they said it would be corrected on the second paycheck. But now my second paycheck is short even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 AM

what do I do if I don't get the wages? Take them to small claims court?

Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 AM

Or do I report them to the Better Business Bureau? What do I do? I've never been shorted in pay before...well, purposely.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,902,313 times
Or, I don't know, contact them and ask them why your check was short. No one here can help you with your paycheck issue...contact the payroll dept at the agency and ask them.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:06 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,750,605 times
You neglected calling and instead asked a forum? Like really?

Old 05-06-2016, 06:44 AM

460 posts, read 775,710 times
Just to clarify, you are short after the company withholds your federal, state and payroll taxes, correct?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:39 AM

216 posts, read 325,484 times
Do you have anything in writing about what your compensation would be? That is standard procedure for any job including home care like yours. It possible you misunderstood or they could be unethical. No way for us in this forum to know. If you do have it in writing then you do have recourse. I would not handle this only on the phone or even in person. If possible a written record of their responses to an e-mail would be helpful if you need to take this further.

I owned a home care agency for 6 years. Most such owners are ethical but some are not and do in fact exploit the caregivers. If they won't give you compensation details in writing then I would not continue to work for them. As a *last* recourse there is a state labor relations board you could contact. Since you just started I doubt if you would have much a case as they could claim clerical error or such. If they don't resolve this soon and in writing, I suggest you quit and seek work elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,662,273 times
Like others have said, call them and find out why your check is short. and as MPRetired pointed out is it taxes they are taking out so it seems short?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM

6,694 posts, read 3,308,859 times
I would have been on the phone with HR and/or payroll the minute I saw the first check. If they hadn't fixed by the second check, I would've called them again and made sure ALL the deductions were what they were supposed to be and that the pay rate was correct.

Employment works both ways. You need the money but they need someone to do the work. You should never go into a situation where you don't understand all the specifics.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hello,

I started a weekend job - Saturday and Sunday. The agency is not paying me the amt. they told me. I've worked 4 weekends.

I just don't have a good feeling about it.

I've only received two paychecks. The first one was short a hundred or so, and this next paycheck more so...

The longer I work for them, waiting for them to "make it right" the more cheap labor they get..

It is a 48-hour caregiving job, for elderly people. I have another job Mon-Friday.

I'm not sure what to do, because I don't really want to "burn the bridges" with this agency...

Do they think that I have such low self-esteem that I will just keep working for them, with not the promised amt of wages?

Or do they think because I have a Mon-Friday job, that I can afford to work for them for cheaper wages?

What should I do?

If I go to work Saturday, and Sunday, they will just pay the same (less) than promised.

Should I say, "I won't return to work until you cut me a check." Pls advise.

addendum: when I told them about the first paycheck, they said it would be corrected on the second paycheck. But now my second paycheck is short even more.
I'd be chatting with the state labor bureau and getting them involved=. You do have proof of the pay rate they claimed? Such as the ad listing the pay rate? If there's no proof but your word, you are SOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment