Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 AM

291 posts, read 277,303 times

Advertisements

A lot of careers these days are not really careers but just a sequence of jobs in a related field. Many if not most people with 'careers' are in your same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:34 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
If you didn't do well in school before, why would you expect to suddenly do better now?

What you could do, is get two jobs and become a scrooge, to save enough money to invest in your own business, such as being a landlord or whatever. You could eventually work your way out of poverty. Then you would be able to relax more and enjoy life more.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:37 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I dont have a career or college degree. I stay at home (and nanny). I dont regret it though, im happy.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:07 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
"Careers" sometimes aren't always what they are racked up to be. A lot of these people put in a ridiculous amount of hours, live at work, bring their work home with them and never enjoy life outside of it.

If I have to live and breathe a crummy "corporate career" full of ridiculous long hours, headaches, backstabbing, and politics, I'll just stick with a job.

Life is just too damn short to have no work/life balance. Yea I'll never make a ton of money but I'll have a life and balance, free time to myself which is more important than 6 figures a year.

This is the problem with Corporate America you almost ALWAYS have to give up something. "Oh you want big money? Were taking your personal life/free time away, You're gonna be expected to work 60 plus hours a week". ***** That!!!!

Last edited by DorianRo; 05-08-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I have a job, not so much a career that I have been at for nearly 20 years now. I have been asked many of times to move up into a management "career" level position. But I have no interest in working any more hours than I am now, nor do I want to work for a fixed salary instead of the hourly pay with overtime I get now.

And college isn't the end to be all anymore. You see the way college grads are treated often having to work unpaid internships or work ridiculous hours for a fixed salary. They often have to move to a high COL area to even find a job. College can be useful, but the degree is not as valuable as it used to be since so many have them now. You really have the haul your behind if you want to stand out from the rest.

Yep.. Fixed salary means essentially employee ABUSE and when you add up the hours you're basically giving money and time back to the company. You aren't even making money in many instances.

If you're on a fixed Salary you often have to be at the very high end of the salary spectrum so you're not going getting screwed over.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:44 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
It's not about going back to school but deciding what you want to do. Don't think in terms of a degree, even AA, but in terms of learning a skill/trade. Local CCs and tech schools have a zillion skills and trades that are well paying, but aren't part of a "degree" per se. Various nursing and medical support training, to things like welding, carpentry, electrician, plumbing, etc. These are good well paying jobs (ever try to hire an electrician?).

Then if you decide you want a degree, that's a separate thing to decide later.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya825 View Post
I am 39 and have never established a real "career". Admittedly I have never really been good with school and did attend a college but failed my classes because it just was to difficult and I quickly dropped out. Ever since I have had menial type jobs and as embarrassing as it is to admit still live pay check to pay check.

I have never been married or had kids but I have wanted all of that. I just feel I am doomed to live a life of practical poverty. I know some will say I should go back to school but isn't it a little late? I am not blaming anyone else but I do get depressed over it at times. I feel like an old woman that is to late for making a good career now. I have no savings, 401K, etc.
I wanted "Some" of those things, but I saw what happened to others who wanted it also...a few of them survived.....a few....

39? yeah, I'd go for some training...You have 28 years to go before you can retire.

Famous quote "The next 5 years will go by anyway" Simply means that if you do nothing, you'll still be in the same position you are now....

Old 05-08-2016, 04:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
You've heard it before, but its still true: It's never to late to start over. You can do it.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:32 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya825 View Post
I am 39 and have never established a real "career". Admittedly I have never really been good with school and did attend a college but failed my classes because it just was to difficult and I quickly dropped out. Ever since I have had menial type jobs and as embarrassing as it is to admit still live pay check to pay check.

I have never been married or had kids but I have wanted all of that. I just feel I am doomed to live a life of practical poverty. I know some will say I should go back to school but isn't it a little late? I am not blaming anyone else but I do get depressed over it at times. I feel like an old woman that is to late for making a good career now. I have no savings, 401K, etc.

If you don't go back to school where will you be in 10 years? At 39 you are still young enough to not only go back to school but even to marry and have children. Try not to dwell on what you do have instead of what you don't have. I know it's easy to say but I have been in the dark pit of depression and it's not someplace you want to be. Start saving a little bit of your paycheck, even if it's only 10%. Cut back on anything non essential - maybe cable or Starbucks. Even a little bit will make you feel better and more secure in your future. Do you have friends?

Get outside when the weather is nice, volunteer at an animal shelter, do something you would love to do; it will help.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:28 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
OP I think you are in a great position to start over as you don't have children to worry about. That is what keeps many single women chained to a low-level job..

I would start with doing some research. What type of work do you think you could do? If you like the medical field there are decent-paying jobs that only require an associate's degree and training. I'd be careful with studying at a for-profit college and instead go for a local community college/university. But definitely start with research as there is so much information out there. I have a degree (teaching) and had a career pre-kids and would love to do something else but after extensive research a lot of what interests me would not be worth the college debt to achieve. But you are 39 and have a lot of years ahead so it could be different for you. Look at job boards (like Indeed) and see what's out there that might interest you. But definitely don't jump into school until you know what your goal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment