Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:38 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times

Advertisements

I moved out of state 20 years ago for work, and it's the best decision I ever made.

If you really want to get a job out of state, I would recommend against even implying that you want relocation costs. I didn't get any with my job, and when I was asked about this during the phone interview, I said I didn't need relocation costs. Anyway, I'm convinced that my non-concern re: these costs had a lot to do with my getting the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
and yet, companies don't mind paying them for people they want...

just like sign on bonuses, they can just write it into contract that you stay X length of time to repay them back for the relocation money. so they don't really lose much by helping you move, they know you are likely to stay for the length of time because if you don't, they still get the money back and turn around and give it to the next person they hire

if possible, why not sign on with a temp agency? they pay housing/plane ticket and while you are there for 4-6 months, you can work and get a paycheck and have time to look for a place/full time job while there

Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I've seen some people who get jobs before they even move to the state. Is that common?
Yes. For me, I would never move to another region without having a job lined up. I currently already have a place to live. No point in incurring costs to move to a new region when I may have to move yet again and incur yet more costs. Not to mention the time wasted.

Quote:
I've always assumed it's harder to get a job from a different state since they may worry about relocation costs.
That has been one concern. Another is even if it's covered, a prospective candidate may end up flaking b/c he got an offer that lets him stay where he's at.

Higher up positions like middle, but more so upper management does this. Somebody who worked for Walmart at Walmart HQ in Bentonville, Arkansas... the company not only paid to have movers move the stuff on the company's dime, but they also packed it too! So the movers come in, they point to stuff that they'd want moved, and they take care of that, so no need to have them in boxes before hand.

Other cases, it's rougher. I had to move 750 miles, but had no relocation expenses covered. I didn't feel good about this job being long termed, so I had to abandon my cheaper, IKEA furniture, and then sell off the good stuff. Everything had to fit in my car. I repurchased many things when I got there, but at least on the inexpensive side, like microwave, toaster oven, TV, and furniture.

Quote:
But, someone told me many of them like out of state employees better since they will be more serious and committed to the job. I am not exactly sure, does anyone have any tips on landing a job before moving?
That's certainly a valid case. If you move to more remote areas, less desirable areas, and/or the position has more requirements than not... for example, some harder-ish IT certification, 4-year degree, background checks, and moving to a rural part where the cost of living is lower, but you need to drive 1 to 3 hours just to get to civilization or the city, then the ball is more so in your court, as they could be desperate to get people. Especially when they've been lowballing others.

Quote:
One tip I've got is to tell the employer that I will pay for my own relocation costs.
You could do that, but if they were going to offer it to you, you just left money on the table. Another thing is a company willing to provide relo expenses can be more piece of mind for you since it shows they're serious about getting people to do the job and retaining them. At least for a minimum of 1 year which is the time period you need to stay before you're off the hook for paying back the relo expenses.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
I've gotten out of state jobs three times. Yes, it can be more difficult competing against local candidates, but if you are in a good field, it can be done. You just have to be persistent. I work for government agencies and they almost never pay relocation expenses. I made it clear I wasn't looking for that when I was applying. I've always paid my travel expenses (they can be written off in taxes) too.

It really depends on the field, the company, and your expectations. If you are flexible, it can be done.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
I've done it twice - in both cases, I made it clear that I would be moving to the area regardless of if they chose to hire me, and relocation expenses were unnecessary (true both times). I think companies can be hesitant to hire out-of-state because of either relocation expenses OR the possibility that the candidate will flake and not move - so if you can overcome those things right off the bat, that's helpful. Also, sharpen up those phone interview skills - phone interviews can be a lot trickier than in-person, so if you can get comfortable with phone interviews, that'll help immensely.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Depends on the profession. I'm in engineering and have done it a couple times. Usually find the job online, apply, and if they like you, they fly you down for an interview. If they like you again, they pay to move you. Its usually bigger companies with money to blow to move people, and who have a lot of people coming and going all the time so retention may be difficult.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM

529 posts, read 508,211 times
I'd guess it's only for jobs were the candidate has at least 5 years of experience or more, and would acquire essentially no training of any kind. Anything that requires the person to be trained won't generally bother with non-local candidates unless they're desperate, which generally isn't the case nowadays...

tldr: qualified people already well into their careers get recruited while everyone else doesn't.

starting to think moving to try to find work in my field might end up being a waste of time...and that instead i should go back and waste more time getting another degree...this time in Elementary school teaching, or something with a clear a-b-c career.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
There are lots of factors that can influence things one way or another, but to increase your chances I would say that you want to have very high demand skills, search in areas where there is a big shortage of those skills, be really good at what you do, and be really good at presenting and selling yourself.

The more they feel they need YOU, the more trouble, expense, and risk they will go to in order to gain your services.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:07 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Get an Airbnb for a month, apply around like crazy. If you get something, stay. If you don't, go home.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:13 PM

96 posts, read 78,439 times
I've moved out of state twice for work. My field is definitely a national one, but it's never been a problem that I've been out of state. I'm part of upper management, which helps, because at my level the companies are more likely to pay to fly me out for interviews and cover relocation costs. I appreciate when they pay relo costs, but it's not necessary.

But, in terms of getting interviews/hired, being out of state has never hindered my chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment