Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Agree with some of the above.

Being threatened with a PIP is never a good thing.

In fact, the moment someone even utters PIP, that's a sign for you to start looking. OP has been there a few years so no worries about too short of a tenure.

Remember, it's not as easy as looking and applying for a job one day, getting an interview the next. These things can take time, especially these days. So brush up the resume and start applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
If you are constantly producing positive results for the company and receive a poor performance review, it is time to move on. Companies that desire to retain underachievers to produce negative results will struggle.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Find another job. It's not going to get better.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
CC your boss with every email you send and keep logs of all phone conversations, date, time, what was discussed, and as much detail as possible.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmith245 View Post

I have been in this position for several years....

There's your (his) problem right there. He is looking to dump you as dead wood, and this scheme is how he is doing it.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmith245 View Post
I had my annual performance review last week and my boss gave me a 2 out of 5 on being adaptable and accountable (Everything else was OK).

There are two of us who work together on projects, so teamwork is essential to my job. I have no say in who is hired to be my coworker. Things were OK prior to my last coworker who was hired ~3 months ago. She refused to return emails and if I reached her by phone, she would hang up with some excuse. Both of us work remotely, so I can't walk over to her desk. I had to tell my boss that I wasn't able to do my job because she refused to communicate with me. Due to this, and other issues, she was fired a couple weeks ago.

Now my boss says I am not adaptable because I couldn't figure out how to communicate with her and I'm not accountable because I didn't have the information needed to do my job from my coworker. Her replacement starts tomorrow. He has said that if there are issues with the new person, I will be put on a PIP.

I have been in this position for several years and all my previous performance reviews were decent. There were no verbal or written warnings prior to this performance review. I feel like my boss is blaming me for his making a bad hire. Given the situation, I'm not sure what I should do. Should I try and stick this out? Or should I just look for a new job? It feels like I'm being setup.
Let it go. The same thing happened to me as a teaching assistant during the summer. I was under an absentee (adjunct) professor and I made three attempts in the first week of the semester to meet her to discuss course issues. Every single time she either cancelled at the last minute or simply did not show up. She eventually told me there would simply be no meetings.

And then I found out that I got some negative evaluations by students who cited "poor communication with the instructor".

Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'm with the others...your boss is gearing up to push you under the bus.

Don't complain at all about this new coworker. Do whatever you have to to make it work...WHILE you look for a new job.

Good luck.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
The OP is being made a scapegoat and it will not end well for him. Best to find a new job.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Yeah, doesn't look good. Start looking for a new gig.

But here's an extra suggestion: Just to cover your tush and for fun, I would ask your boss what you SHOULD have done to handle the situation with your coworker. Ask for specifics. Odds are good he won't be able to articulate anything different from what you did. Whatever his response, document it.

Honestly, if you've gotten satisfactory reviews over the years with no problems with coworkers and this one employee had a hand in your performance issues, your boss's response is very strange. Time to polish up the ol' resume.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
I don't think your boss is necessarily trying to push you out the door right now, but by giving you this score in writing, he's laying the groundwork for setting you up as the scapegoat should the new hire also not work out. If the rest of your review was OK, as you say, then it is legitimately possible that he felt you should have tried harder to make it work with the co-worker - but I'm getting the vibe that he's trying to cover his own behind after making a bad hire.

And I agree with Suburban_Guy - in (almost) all cases, PIPs are basically a 30-90 day notice that you're going to be fired. Anytime one is mentioned, even if not enacted, it would be wise to start looking immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment