Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 04:19 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

The best boss you ever had.

The worst one.

Let's talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The best boss you ever had.
The one who didn't micromanage.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:47 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Best? I could say myself, but that probably isn't what you're after. Probably was the first carpenter I worked for as a teen. I was on my own due to health problems in the family, and he and his wife treated me like their own. He taught me more than carpentry, he taught me work ethic, punctuality, and perseverance.

Worst? Had one that I nicknamed Satan, and would call him that to his face. He was sneaky, backstabbing, and a compulsive liar. I stayed at that job probably 6 months longer than I should have, out of sheer stubbornness. He wouldn't fire me, and I wouldn't quit... Until he refused to give me a day off to attend an important funeral. Ironically, he offered me my job back with a 50% raise about 3 months later. Turns out nobody else was capable of doing my routes anywhere near as efficiently as I did. I didn't take the job back, but the memory still makes me smile.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:08 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,444 times
Default Lol

I've only really been working for about 3 years in the real world. Before that I worked at my parent's business.

Well, I can't really say I had a good boss. It's kind of sad. I wish I had one of those bosses and coworker's I loved and could call my work family but I don't. My current boss now is probably the best boss I've had but I don't want to speak too soon. I still have my guard up after being burned before but it's almost three months in and so far so good. We get along, she doesn't make me feel scared as much, she's understanding and reasonable, we talk on a personal level sometimes although not like buddies but hopefully I can have that type of relaxed closet bond like my trainer with time.

My first boss at a call center...well it's a call center so everything about it sucked and lasted about a month or two.

My first real HR job, I really liked my boss and he liked me too. But one of the managers hated me, she bullied me, kept tabs on me, constantly complained to him. He started to slowly turn against me and then suddenly I couldn't do anything right. The bully manager would lie and make up stuff and I would have proof of her lies but he would always say lets make her happy and ignore that I'm bullied. I think because she was a senior role and she had a job that would be extremely difficult to replace.

My last boss wasn't a good manager. He had weird unrealistic expectations and he played favorites. He was very laid back and chill, lenient on time and flexibility, but he was kind of ditzy. Lol.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Roger from my long term retail job. I was young and he worked with me closely, taught me the ropes and also his work ethic and little but important things about dealing with the public. He was nice but expected you to work hard and really learn and made it very clear.

He left years before I did, and I moved into his position eventually before the company went under. His father committed suicide and his wife left him and thier 2 kids in a short time frame. He left the job and I got a phone call from him a year later, where he was doing just ok. Heard later through the grapevine he remarried. Never spoke to him after though.Hope he made a great new life for himself and family.

I have not had a worst with my 2 long term jobs. I am lucky.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
I received word in January 2015 that my mother had a brain tumor. Left on the next flight out with my boss' blessing and stayed for about 10 days until Mom was mostly recovered from the surgery and settled into rehab. Came back, worked about a week more, then initiated the FMLA process to take what was initially "intermittent" leave. When I told her I was doing this, her VERY panicked response was: "Oh, NAME, that is REALLY going to be a problem for me!"

Seriously.

My co-boss (working for 2 masters is always fun!) berated me in front of the entire open-office space for not getting something done in the middle of all this, then had the gall to be mad when I said to him that the NEXT time my mother gets cancer, I'll try to plan it better. LOL

I hear through the grapevine that my replacement lied on her resume and can't measure up to their (extraordinarily high) standards. KARMA -- what goes around, comes around.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:45 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Best boss is my current boss - I'd follow her to the moon and back. She is incredibly supportive and really goes to bat for me. She insists I have work/life balance and allows me a lot of perks that other administrative assistants don't have. She doesn't watch the clock, she doesn't micromanage, she trust me to do the work I'm given, and allows me to do things outside my job description. It has been an amazing experience to work for her these past 6+ years.

My worst boss was a woman who was very condescending and micromanaged EVERYTHING I did. I think she looked down on me because I was "just" a secretary (whereas she was co-owner of the company and "made" something of herself). She never had a kind word to say to me and the only reason I stayed in that job as long as I did (2 years) was because I was saving up money for my wedding and honeymoon. My last official day on the job was the day before my wedding rehearsal. I had never been so happy to be unemployed.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Great thread idea!

I have a story about my best boss:

My dad had an aortic aneurysm and was in a medically-induced coma in the hospital. I flew down to be with him, mom and the rest of the family for a week. When I came back, I was just off. Nothing felt right.

After a few days, I went to my boss and said, "I feel really bad about this, but I think I need to go be with my family some more."

She said, "I was hoping you would come to that conclusion. I have the leave paperwork all filled out and ready for you." Then she got up in my face and said, "Always put your family first. This is a corporation. It's a paycheck. It will never love you back."

Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Best supervisors are those that are (for whatever reason) invested in your future and respect you. The worst are those that care about nothing but themselves and are insecure.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
My worst boss was my first boss. Fast food.

First, he gave me a work shirt one size too small. He said they didn't have any in my size available. Then, he took me into the cooler to give me feedback.

It wasn't until much later that I found out he just wanted to see me in that tight shirt in a cold room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment