Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:11 AM

440 posts, read 549,301 times

Advertisements

I have always held Salary positions in my past, outside some part time work always been paid with a Salary.

Recently was offered position with a hourly payment structure, which will result in a one of the highest paying positions I have had in my life. However, discussing these options with people , was meet with some odd resistance...

Is there a stigma or negative connotations associate with hourly paying positions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
If the numbers work, take it. Just be prepared to be hassled about covering or making up hours if you take time off for personal appointments or other minor schedule adjustments.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:54 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
I've held both Non-Exempt hourly and Exempt salaried positions. I would choose Exempt salaried, possibly unless work well in excess of 40 hours per week on a regular basis would be required or expected.

Although it can vary from one employer to another; generally speaking, hourly employees are held to a more rigid punctuality and attendance requirement, with some type of tracking system that verifies they are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there. Hourly employees may be subject to disciplinary action for attendance infractions, where salaried may not be.

It would probably be best to try to find out in advance what the employer's policies are regarding hourly employees, before accepting a position.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:17 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I do enjoy not having to clock in/out for lunch or when coming/going, but that nuisance nowhere makes up for the problems of being salaried.

I've been salaried at my last two employers (first converted to hourly). None of the salaried staff level folks in my departments have any sort of schedule flexibility at all - if I need to go to the doctor and that takes two hours, I have to take PTO. I'm here from 9-6 every day. If I need to have say, maintenance performed at my house, I can't simply WFH. Where I'm at now, any time out of the office requires PTO to be taken, and PTO can't be taken in less than half day increments. Given that there are only 15 days of PTO total, taking a half day for being thirty minutes or an hour behind is just wasteful.

I've never seen salaried staff have any more flexibility, perks, etc. - it's basically a license for free OT.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
^On the flip side, I work with salaried people who work a flat 40 hr a week and make good money. No free overtime.

It just depends on the company and the job.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^On the flip side, I work with salaried people who work a flat 40 hr a week and make good money. No free overtime.

It just depends on the company and the job.
I'm sure it happens. My mother is hourly and works in residential mortgage ops at a small bank. She goes to the doctor at least once a week, but they always let her work late in the evenings to make up for it.

I simply couldn't go to the doctor that much, even though I'm salaried, which is arguably more prestigious.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:07 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
Salaried would be great if there wasn't complete ABUSE by employers today. Unfortunately employee abuse runs rampant in the workplace today I've done both and can without a shadow of a doubt say hourly is better. I was constantly stuck working 10-12 hour days when salaries and was getting nonsense work thrown on me that didn't even pertain to my job title. With a restructuring that happened at my company, went back to hourly, got different bosses and things are way better now

When I worked the hours out after all the time my old boss made me stay at work I was working for around minimum wage. Now I'm making more as hourly and I'm not stuck at work for 60 hours a week

Until upper managers do not have all the power to abuse whoever they want hourly is the only way to go

Sure there are salaried individuals only having to work 40 hours/week but they are very few and far between. Most are middle managers getting bent over by upper management and working 60-70 plus hours a week on exempt status

Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
The only problem with staying hourly is that it becomes a dead end after you top out. Eventually to make more you have to take a salaried position.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Salaried would be great if there wasn't complete ABUSE by employers today. Unfortunately employee abuse runs rampant in the workplace today I've done both and can without a shadow of a doubt say hourly is better. I was constantly stuck working 10-12 hour days when salaries and was getting nonsense work thrown on me that didn't even pertain to my job title. With a restructuring that happened at my company, went back to hourly, got different bosses and things are way better now

When I worked the hours out after all the time my old boss made me stay at work I was working for around minimum wage. Now I'm making more as hourly and I'm not stuck at work for 60 hours a week

Until upper managers do not have all the power to abuse whoever they want hourly is the only way to go

Sure there are salaried individuals only having to work 40 hours/week but they are very few and far between. Most are middle managers getting bent over by upper management and working 60-70 plus hours a week on exempt status
That was the situation at my previous employer, not only among the managers, but many of the line level staff. One engineer I worked with was making double what he was at his previous employer (a hospital) vs. this software company, but he was working more than 80 hours a week.

My boss was probably getting paid close to the mid $100k range, but that's in Boston and with tons of hours - doesn't go as far as you'd think for the hassle.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That was the situation at my previous employer, not only among the managers, but many of the line level staff. One engineer I worked with was making double what he was at his previous employer (a hospital) vs. this software company, but he was working more than 80 hours a week.

My boss was probably getting paid close to the mid $100k range, but that's in Boston and with tons of hours - doesn't go as far as you'd think for the hassle.
And stories like this is why Im afraid to move up the ladder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment