Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:01 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
But it's is alot. Within the first 2 months she called in twice, when home twice, sick 4 days in a row (then again a few months later)....then it stopped for a bit because I think she was talked to by a manager that is no longer her. Now I'd say something comes up once a month at least.

So you don't know what happened? So 8 days over the course of how long?

While you may have a greater work load, if her leave is being approved and you are not in her supervisory chain, you don't have much to say.

It just boggles my mind the number of threads started about keeping track of co-worker's and even supervisor's leave time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Yep, she doesn't like working.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:10 PM

171 posts, read 193,812 times
8 days in the course of 2 months and then it stopped for about 2 months and started up again when the strict manager left. I'd say it's monthly pretty much.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:32 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Hr?

Old 05-10-2016, 03:56 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Quote:
8 days in the course of 2 months and then it stopped for about 2 months and started up again when the strict manager left. I'd say it's monthly pretty much.
So she's absent one day per week on average? That's 20% of a full-time schedule. Believe this: her manager knows there is a problem. Don't get involved (never get involved with someone else's problem) -- she will be gone soon.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
So she's absent one day per week on average? That's 20% of a full-time schedule. Believe this: her manager knows there is a problem. Don't get involved (never get involved with someone else's problem) -- she will be gone soon.
And if the manager doesn't notice? I've met some pretty clueless managers before.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 PM

564 posts, read 448,420 times
In 35 years of working, and ten more part time in retirement, I missed zero days of work. I was late once because the subway broke down in the tube. Luckily, when I arrived I learned the matter had been cancelled while I was on my way. No cell phones in those days.

When my partner and I started our business in the '70s, we only had four employees. One of them, a recent Duke grad, called in one morning saying she couldn't make it. Don't remember why. This was really putting us in a bind, I reminded her. She apologized, and I replied, no, don't apologize. If we survive without you, it means we really don't need you after all. She was in the office within the hour.

Of course, times have changed. Fully retired except for some board work, and living in Colorado, an at-will state, our law firm explained the complexities involved in dismissing someone. Turns out, at-will boils down to, if you have a humane policy, there is damned near no way you can fire someone!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post

In 35 years of working, and ten more part time in retirement, I missed zero days of work. I was late once because the subway broke down in the tube. Luckily, when I arrived I learned the matter had been cancelled while I was on my way. No cell phones in those days.

When my partner and I started our business in the '70s, we only had four employees. One of them, a recent Duke grad, called in one morning saying she couldn't make it. Don't remember why. This was really putting us in a bind, I reminded her. She apologized, and I replied, no, don't apologize. If we survive without you, it means we really don't need you after all. She was in the office within the hour.

Of course, times have changed. Fully retired except for some board work, and living in Colorado, an at-will state, our law firm explained the complexities involved in dismissing someone. Turns out, at-will boils down to, if you have a humane policy, there is damned near no way you can fire someone!
At-will means you can fired them at any time for a reason or no reason, "At-will employment is a term used in U.S. labor law for contractual relationships in which an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning."

That is in contradiction with what you said where it is "damned near no way you can fire someone!".

Sometimes you wake up to a water pipe that burst in your home, and you must stay there and supervise it so it gets fixed. Or any other number of legit emergencies. If I called my employer and told them about an urgent situation and gave me a speech about, "If we survive without you, it means we really don't need you after all." I would quit. Because that's being unreasonable. It's just office work, you aren't running an operating room or doing patient treatments. It's great for the man to go off to work and leave the stay at home wife to deal with these problems, but not everyone has that luxury.

Yes, there can be abuses but those are rare.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Soon, management will finally get tired of the excuses also...Bide your time, she'll be gone one day...
Yeah you would think huh ? But there is also the case where management is a personal friend and they own the business and they don't fire them ever . I worked at a place like that . This older woman was a personal friend of the owner and she would curse and swear at employees and never get one infraction for it and then she would have the nerve to talk about other employees too . Well guess what since the owner decided to keep her and let other good employees quit , they went out of business sometime last year. My aunt drove by where it used to be and the people who are there now said the former company went out of business , imagine that .

Old 05-11-2016, 06:52 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
But it's is alot. Within the first 2 months she called in twice, when home twice, sick 4 days in a row (then again a few months later)....then it stopped for a bit because I think she was talked to by a manager that is no longer her. Now I'd say something comes up once a month at least.
she takes 12 days off a year ? why are you doing the equivalent timing her bathroom breaks with a stopwatch ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment