Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:44 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times

Advertisements

In the past eight months we've had several rounds of lay offs, most of the people around me have been laid off. While I was sad to see the place empty out, I have to say I have not had so much as a sniffle since about round 2 (about 6 months ago). I can't think of anyone who came to work intentionally, contagiously ill, but apparently enough people were carrying enough germs that we would just get each other sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
I was auditing books for MTA/Paratransit division. Someone had an "allergic reaction" and decided to use the desk I was assigned to for the duration of the audit. Not too long after I developed a painful rash from ears to neck that formed blisters. Guess who contracted shingles at 24? If that's not enough. I'm one of the rare ones who has recurring shingles so I have an outbreak 2-3 times a year. The pain is tolerable but when I have an outbreak I lose hearing in right ear until complete healing. I'm 28 now with severe hearing loss and I am fitting for hearing-aids so I dread future outbreaks as I am limited to just reading lips during that time.
I didn't think you could catch singles. I thought it was a reactivation of the chicken pox virus.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 AM

223 posts, read 255,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I didn't think you could catch singles. I thought it was a reactivation of the chicken pox virus.
The person had active herpes zoster lesions that spread to me - causing a reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus resulting in shingles.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
I have 0 sick days, 0 vacation days and a boss who is too paranoid to let anyone work from home (we may sell secret information you know - LOL).

We all come in sick and half dead -- sometimes it sounds like a TB ward in our office (cough, cough, hack, hack).

Keep a can of Lysol handy and constantly spray your phone, your desk and other surfaces. It helps.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:11 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
unfortunetely a lot of companies do not give enough sick days, therefore employees sometimes feel that a certain illness is not worth losing the day, and then come to work.

I dont blame the employee, I blame thew company.

it always pissed me off when one of my co workers from years ago would comne in coughing and sneezing in an office with no windows.....but she was always strapped for money and didnt wanna lose the days pay.

sucked for all of us....

Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
AND YOU'D be correct! Shingles come out ONLY IF you have the dormant Chicken Pox Virus..which occurs AFTER you have actually contracted Chicken Pox. The person who claimed to have caught Shingles from the audit person using her desk is misguided. It's far more likely that the STRESS in their life caused it!

Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM

223 posts, read 255,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
AND YOU'D be correct! Shingles come out ONLY IF you have the dormant Chicken Pox Virus..which occurs AFTER you have actually contracted Chicken Pox. The person who claimed to have caught Shingles from the audit person using her desk is misguided. It's far more likely that the STRESS in their life caused it!
Please read what I wrote in response. I answered her - I am not misguided.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I had a doctor that once told me that a person could be contagious even before they realize it.
That's the problem. You often don't know you are sick until the symptoms show up, but you may have already spread the germs. A couple months ago my husband stayed home sick on a Monday. I was fine so I went to work. I started feeling bad at the end of the day. It turned out we both had the flu. I stayed home for the next three days so as not to spread anything, but I probably already had on that Monday. I felt horrible but to my knowledge nobody else came down with it.

I have plenty of sick time, but I'm not going to stay home when I feel fine just because my husband is sick.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
Yes, everyone gets sick around the early spring. Not at my current job, but at a call center I was working at years ago. I blame the "if you call in, you'll get a point/warning/written up/fired etc" environment.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Yes, everyone gets sick around the early spring. Not at my current job, but at a call center I was working at years ago. I blame the "if you call in, you'll get a point/warning/written up/fired etc" environment.

yeah i know, that freaking BS.

and after all is said and done, none of those points, written up etc, is not going to have of mattered.

thats like working back in slavery day.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment