Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

This is one of the reasons that employers say they can't find Americans to do the work and have to rely on illegals. I remember when Alabama enacted a strict anti-illegal stance (until the Feds stepped in) and all the farmers complained that the American workers they hired actually wanted breaks. They much preferred the illegals, who would put up with substandard treatment on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
This is what companies dream of. Slave wages, no benefits, lousy and dangerous working conditions. Sadly the convervatards seem to be right on that bandwagon as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:28 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Yeah build the wall Trump Supporters and watch the companies whine and say Americans want double the pay and real benefits. Than the wall comes right back down.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Nothing in the article says anything about illegals. There are other threads here about illegal immigrants in poultry processing plants but they are from 2008. It does say people are told if the go to the bathroom to keep going to Human Resources. With the I-9 identification checks and the article saying they pay $9-$10 per hour I doubt they are illegals. It's probably a pretty good paying job compared to picking and packing in a warehouse for minimum wage. It's just intimidation by management. If someone asks to use the bathroom an hour after break they probably get a reply, "Why didn't you go when you were on break?"
Or, "Your next break is in a hour, can't you hold it?" or "I don't have anyone to relieve you right now." and statements like there's 50 applicants a day looking for your job.

Management learns all they intimidation games, I worked in rock quarry, at a meeting the Supervisor held his thumb and forefinger apart about 2" and said he had a stack of applications that high of people wanting to work there.

I worked for a package delivery company in the warehouse once, the bathrooms seemed to be across the warehouse and I asked about 45 min after break and the first thing the supervisor said was, "Why didn't you to on break?"
I replied that I didn't have to pee then, he said I could go but make it quick.

There is this trickle down method of intimidation, supervisors are told to increase production, by managers who are told the numbers aren't high enough, by VP's that are told the we have to increase competitiveness. By a CEO, told by a board of directors that is only interested in increasing the stock price so they all get a bonus. All along the line is the implied threat that if you can't get it done, you'll be replaced by someone who can.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
^^^^
The majority in the chicken processing plants around here are illegals! Mexicans, Central Americans and haitians. The companies know full well that they are hiring illegals. They just don't care though. As long as the illegal has stolen paperwork and some poor Texans or Puerto Ricans identity to show all is good.

My wife worked in one of those **** houses for three years. Treated like a slave. people were actually jealous of her because she was a legal immigrant from Colombia. I told her to never take her green card or SS card to work as it would surly be stolen! Those illegals proudly flaunt the fact that they crossed illegally and now live on gov benifits for all their anchor baby's, recieve more in tax refunds then they pay in, can get away with driving without licenses, and make their 12 bucks/hour after a couple of years. The majority send most of their money home so their other "kids" can have money to pay a coyote to help them cross the border! None of them will work any overtime as well because it would put them over the threshold for recieving extra money generousely paid for by us ( actually stolen from us is more like it) That wall can't go up fast enough!!!

bathroom breaks? My wife would get chewed out if they felt she took too long and they would give anybody a hard time if they needed to go. Truly a crappy company to work for. Unfortunately, here in eastern MD, like lower Deleware, Eastern VA and eastern NC chickens are big industry and creates a lot of year round jobs, unfortunately they all go to the illegals who are starting to take over which once were once nice small towns. And before anybody chimes in and says this is the kind of work Americans won't do, I have never seen a help wanted add in English anywhere around here in any of the papers, comunity bulletin boards, radio or TV. I, however see them all the time in SPANISH (only spanish) on the side of the road by the plants, on bulletin boards in the "local" Mexican store/restaurants, on spanish TV and Spanish radio. Americans don't want thsese jobs? BS Americans just don't know about them being available!

Old 05-13-2016, 12:34 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Blue biker, I think a business like this needs to pay all of its workers minimum wage, illegal or not, because they are dependent on good finances.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:26 AM

327 posts, read 469,573 times
Get a UNION going over there. And then take your breaks!

Old 05-13-2016, 02:32 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times
Times are tough in America. I can't be paying 5 cents more for eggs just so some illegals can take a leak.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 AM

53 posts, read 59,727 times
I agree with something Marlinfshr said about signs being in Spanish. I have seen help wanted signs for restaurant help in Spanish only. I am hurt by this. When I was younger I had more than one dish washing job, and I was proud to do it and did my best. I learned there is no such thing as a lousy job, just a lousy attitude.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Ugh, not surprised, I was working near Henderson KY and there was a Tyson plant, the conditions many of the workers there I saw living in were horrid. They were bused in. Mostly (it seemed) undocumented immigrants that were exploited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment